by old_man_biking

Downloads: 2,939 (12) • Reviews: 3

Version:

Updated:

Jan 14, 2016

Dynamic Heart Rate Zones

Dynamic Heart Rate Zones

Postby GrittyGoober » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Are there any plans to change (or add) dynamic heart rate zones based on percent of Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (%LTHR)? Zones based on HRR calculated from resting and maximum heart rate are a pretty big guess. LTHR based on lab tests or time trials are much more accurate, and analogous to the use of Functional Threshold Power in the power zones.
GrittyGoober

Re: Dynamic Heart Rate Zones

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:08 am

GrittyGoober wrote:Are there any plans to change (or add) dynamic heart rate zones based on percent of Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (%LTHR)? Zones based on HRR calculated from resting and maximum heart rate are a pretty big guess. LTHR based on lab tests or time trials are much more accurate, and analogous to the use of Functional Threshold Power in the power zones.

Only if MANY users are interested in this. As it requires lactate testing, I assume that not too many might be.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Daniel Panev » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:18 am

I don't get the point. Why not just set up manually your HR Zones in "Categories"? Once set up I just go there and update the values after each TT test. Not too much of a burden as I do not perform such workouts every other day :lol:
Daniel Panev

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:38 am

GrittyGoober's point is:
Assume you have recorded runs/rides over a long time.
and you have lactate tests from time to time that require you to change your hr zones according to the test results.
and you want to automatically have the CORRECT zones for ALL activities,
a really DYNAMIC mechanism is necessary that AUTOMATICALLY sets the appropriate zones whenever you view an activity.

This is what my TA plugin provides for hr zones - based on hr reserve (max hr - resting hr) and power as % of FTP.
Whenever you view an activity, the zones are automatically set to match that day's hr reserve and FTP.

Your suggestion implies that the user would have to change the zone values whenever s/he view older activities.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby GrittyGoober » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:46 pm

Daniel is right, it isn't much burden to change the fixed zones after the TT test. However, after the TT test you have a great approximation of both FTP and LTHR. If one is going to use dynamic zones, one would expect them to be based on the TT test results (i.e., FTP and LTHR). It just seemed odd to use FTP for power zones, and not use LTHR for HR zones.

OMB, you are pointing out another issue. Having zones saved through time so when you review results you see the correct zones would be nice. I didn't realize your plugin corrects this issue in SportTracks. I learned something new.

OMB, as my first paragraph indicates, laboratory lactate testing isn't required to approximate LTHR. HR zones from CTS, Friel, etc. are based on TT test results. HR zones based on age, gender, max HR, and resting HR are notoriously inaccurate because they minimally (or don't) take into account one's fitness level.
GrittyGoober

Return to Training Analysis