by old_man_biking

Downloads: 2,939 (12) • Reviews: 3

Version:

Updated:

Jan 14, 2016

Training Analysis - Histogram display issue

Training Analysis - Histogram display issue

Postby PeterB » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:20 am

For some time I have noticed that the histograms displayed have spikes in them that simply looked wrong. On investigation it appears that in situations where there is no data for a while, such as not pedaling for a few minutes the histogram columns "invent" data. This can be seen in the attached screen shots. The obviously wrong histogram column when clicked on highlights the section of the data from which it is derived; clearly indicating that in that section of the data stream there was no data and the column is being "invented". This "invention" of data applies to all forms; the attached screenshots show instances in both power and cadence data sets.

Other than this issue all else appears OK.
Attachments
TrainingAnalysis_HistogramDisplayBug_03.PNG
Wrong Histogram Data #1/3
TrainingAnalysis_HistogramDisplayBug_03.PNG (125.5 KiB) Viewed 6568 times
TrainingAnalysis_HistogramDisplayBug_02.PNG
Wrong Histogram Data #23
TrainingAnalysis_HistogramDisplayBug_02.PNG (127.93 KiB) Viewed 6568 times
TrainingAnalysis_HistogramDisplayBug_01.PNG
Wrong Histogram Data #3/3
TrainingAnalysis_HistogramDisplayBug_01.PNG (125.25 KiB) Viewed 6568 times
PeterB

Re: Training Analysis - Histogram display issue

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:50 am

Must have a look.
Could you please attach an exported FITLOG file of this ride to your post and I'll have a look.

Thanks for pointing me at this,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PeterB » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:08 am

Hi
Apologies for the delay on uploading the fitlog file; I have been away from computers for a week or so; riding at least.

Fitlog for the ride is attached. I have also attached the original fit file from my Garmin; just in case it may help to further clarify what is happening.
The display bug appears to be that where there is actually no data, ie because I stopped pedaling for a few minutes, the underlying routines invent data set as an average between the two available readings; effectively inventing information. This invented information as it is based on straight line interpolation therefore creates the "impossible" spikes in the histogram display.

A very nice to have for the histogram display would be the ability to set and then lock the graph scales. That way I could easily display a sequence of rides and see how the numbers looked ride to ride. The automatic scaling that is always present defeats this purpose as it "jumps around" as one moves from one activity to the next. To overcome this "difficulty" I have been converting the fit files to csv and then making my own spreadsheet histograms with locked scale; much easier to see progress over time. This is how I spotted the display issue in your plugin.

PeterB
Attachments
2011-10-18-21-37-13.fit
(56.22 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
HistogramDisplayBug_20111017.fitlog
(133.37 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
PeterB

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks for the data. I might need another week or so to have a deeper look. Please be patient a while.
Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PeterB » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:29 am

Hi
I have just purchased the Live Recording plugin; nice work; and have looked at its data processing with respect to the activity analysis/histogram display issue.

Attached is a screen shot (power track only) showing how the "zero data values" are handled where the data source is a live recording. Treatment is better than when collected from an imported fit file; but still not quite right; and not treated the same way in power, cadence and speed. In summary:
Zero cadence = zero value on the Activity Analysis graph; but still creates a histogram bucket of 0.5
Zero speed = non zero, apparently averaged values on the Activity Analysis graph; which creates multiple histogram buckets for each of the averaged values.
Zero power = zero value on the Activity Analysis graph; but creates a histogram bucket of 1.5

Also attached is the fitlog file for the session; as you may find it more informative than the description above.

Regards
PeterB
Attachments
TrainingAnalysis_HistogramDisplayBug_04.PNG
TrainingAnalysis_HistogramDisplayBug_04.PNG (133.76 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
PeterB

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:13 am

I've just started working on that plugin and I think I've found the reason for your issue.
It's related to pauses: the plugin counts the value (e.g. cadence) when the pause ends as if it has been sustained throughout the pause.

Of course I've previously thought of this and written code to skip pauses 8)
And obviously I've nearly done this right :oops: :oops: :oops:

-> fixed for the next version

Note that the "ramp" during the pause in the track chart per "time of day" is simply a display issue.
The plugin connects the value BEFORE and AFTER the pause. Unfortunately, ST's charts don't let you say "don't display a chart line for a given time". Or I haven't yet found out how to accomplish this.
Will try to overcome this in the next version.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Analysis