GIANT Trance 27.5 2/V.A.E Hybrid electric
CycleOps PowerTap
My toy #1: SportTrack3!
gringojack
Donated!
Donated!

Re: TSS and TRIMP

Postby mechgt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:52 pm

These are calculated by 2 different plugins. The upper values are calculated by the Training Load plugin, and the lower values from the pic are calculated by the Training Analysis plugin.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:21 pm

There's more, TSS and TRIMP are different metrics and will yield differing though similar numbers.

That said, depending on the plugin you will see different TSS numbers from different plugins. The biggest reason for this is the pause time for rides with GPS data. Generally the differences are minimal and really won't affect your training.

This phenomena happens with WKO also. Personally, I use iBike files with GPS data merged from a Garmin unit. ST doesn't show pauses or stops and my TSS numbers from both plugins show the same number. However if I use the TCX file, the numbers vary.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby fyreman193 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:20 pm

A very easy way to answer this is that they are two very different things.

TSS is based on power or wattage, specifically formulated for cycling. It can be adapted to other aerobic exercise however it is meant to be used in conjunction with bicycling.

TRIMP is a model that is based on aerobic endurance, formulated by using your heart rate instead of wattage.

I feel that TRIMP is more suited to triathletes.

Hope this helps.
fyreman193

Postby RecceDG » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:12 am

It would be academically interesting to compare TSS and TRIMP scores for the same activity over time, and see if the relationship is linear or non-linear and/or deterministic or non-deterministic.

DG
RecceDG
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:26 am

If you want to check this "academically interesting" correlation in real life, use my Activity Documentation + Training Analysis plugins.
AD adds a "Correlation" tab to the "Reports" view. It shows the development over time AND correlation of TWO parameters.
TA plugins adds several parameters to this game, including TSS and TRIMP.
Use ST's standard filter mechanisms to restrict the display to just the activity you're interested in (based on category, location or name - just as you need).

See, it's all there :)
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Analysis