Import nearly 400 activities from Garmin Connect

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Import nearly 400 activities from Garmin Connect

Postby got_to_run!! » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:56 am

Hi,

Thinking of starting to use SportTracks as I would like a copy of all my training data on my hard drive as a backup. I actually prefer Garmin Connect at the moment but don't like the fact that all my data is in "the cloud". Anyway, from what I've read SportTracks is better in many ways, but I'll have to learn to use it properly before I find out if that's true.

Big problem is getting all my data into SportTracks. Looks like I am going to have to manually import nearly 400 sessions and name them all. Is there not a way for me to get the data off Garmin Connect WITH the names I have entered there???

Another thing I wondered about is whether I can select a part of my training session (could be any distance within the session) and find out what my average speed was over that distance. I can't do that with Garmin Connect and it's something that would be useful.
Last edited by got_to_run!! on Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
got_to_run!!

Re: Import nearly 400 activities from Garmin Connect

Postby got_to_run!! » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Anybody able to help please
got_to_run!!

Postby staffann » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:54 pm

The first question is what possibilities GC has to export activities. Can they do a batch export? To what formats? You could try asking in the Garmin forums (https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)

Regarding the average speed for part of the activity, one simple way would be to mark the interesting part in the chart in the "Pace" detail view. If you have speed in the chart, you will get the average of the marked area shown.
Another way would be to look at splits, show custom splits and mark splits where you want them to be. Then you can see things like time, distance, avg speed/pace for each split. I'm sure that there are even more ways of doing this...
On the ST2Funbeat development team. Author of the Compare Planned plugin.
staffann
Donated!
Donated!

Postby got_to_run!! » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks for your reply. GC can't do batch exports unfortunately. Format is no problem though.

I think I am going to have to do them one at a time - which will be a nightmare!!

Thanks for the info' about average speed. Your first suggestion works great. 8)
got_to_run!!

Postby dirk66 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:50 pm

success :wink:

a pitty garmin connect can't download more than one activity at a time. ST can import more than one activity in one .tcx file. don't just import without some thinking.
What categories of activities do you want/need? What kind of equipment do you want to track? First set up your types, then fill your equipment and select the proper categories at the import screen of the equipment. Next pick some of your activities tipical for your type of activities entered in ST. Import these and set the proper category. Check the equipment.
When everything is correct, save the logbookfile.

When you start ST again and import new .tcx files depending on speed the category is filled in automatically and depending on your import settings the equipment too. When doing 400 activities everything what makes it easier, will make a big difference.
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby got_to_run!! » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:47 pm

The job is done. Painstaking work it was too. Turns out it was only 346 files in the end.

Every single activity categorised properly and given the same name it had in Garmin Connect.

I have a big monitor which was useful (30"). I had GC open, SportTracks open, folder open for the files I exported from GC to "land" in and afterwards be imported into SportTracks from. Then it was a case of open an activity in GC, copy and paste the name and any notes, click export in GC, select tcx for export format, download it, hit import in SportTracks, select the new file from GC, name it, categorise it, get notes in, and then on to the next.

Mind numbing stuff but I'm glad it's done :D
got_to_run!!

Postby got_to_run!! » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:49 pm

staffann wrote:Another way would be to look at splits, show custom splits and mark splits where you want them to be. Then you can see things like time, distance, avg speed/pace for each split. I'm sure that there are even more ways of doing this...

This sounds interesting but I haven't tried it yet. If I mess with the splits (i.e select custom splits) will I lose my original 1 mile splits that came from my Garmin? Wouldn't like to lose them...
got_to_run!!

Postby adam.spiers » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:39 am

I found this simple script which screen-scrapes logs from Garmin Connect's web frontend.

On my Linux box which has Ruby installed, using it was as simple as the following command-line session:

Code: Select all
$ sudo gem install mechanize choice highline
$ ruby ./disconnect.rb -u PUT.MY.USER.NAME.HERE
Enter your password: **********
Loaded login page.
Sent login information.
Login successful!
Downloading runs...
....................|
.............|

and hey presto it created a subdirectory tcx containing a load of tcx files, one for each activity. Great!
adam.spiers

Postby Spudski » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:49 am

Hi Adam,

I'm having the same issue as everyone else, whereby i want to bulk add my garmin connect files into sport tracks for analysis.

Can you explain what i need to do when using the above process?

Cheers
Spudski

Postby got_to_run!! » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:36 am

Spudski wrote:Hi Adam,

I'm having the same issue as everyone else, whereby i want to bulk add my garmin connect files into sport tracks for analysis.

Can you explain what i need to do when using the above process?

Cheers

If you are a windows user you cannot use the method he describes. Linux is king for jobs like that.
got_to_run!!

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:28 am

Afaik, Ruby is available for Windows as well. So after installation of Ruby the script should run!?!
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby got_to_run!! » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:12 am

old_man_biking wrote:Afaik, Ruby is available for Windows as well. So after installation of Ruby the script should run!?!

I didn't know that. Must check my facts better before posting in future.
got_to_run!!

Postby philipshambrook » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:22 am

if you have an ANT+ device then chances are, unless you've cleared them all, the .fit or .tcx files will be on your computer
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby adam.spiers » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:38 am

Hi all, sorry I didn't see your questions before. Looks like someone has updated the Ruby code since I last posted. Yes, Ruby runs on Windows and although I haven't tried this script on Windows, I don't see anything obvious in the code which would cause problems on Windows. Check out RubyInstaller and then read the docs to learn how to install the required gems I mention above.

Looks like it's also easy on MacOS X. Finally, if you are a lazy/desperate Windows user, you can pay $6 for gcliberate. I found that from this thread.
adam.spiers

Return to Questions