Version:

Updated:

Mar 10, 2016

Garmin HRM-SWIM and HRM-TRI Imminent

Garmin HRM-SWIM and HRM-TRI Imminent

Postby the5krunner » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:08 am

Garmin HRM-SWIM and HRM-TRI Imminent: As it says in the title
http://the5krunner.com/2015/07/21/new-g ... -hrm-swim/

Of course the pool swimming plugin already works with HR ;-)
the5krunner

Re: Garmin HRM-SWIM and HRM-TRI Imminent

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:40 pm

the5krunner wrote:Of course the pool swimming plugin already works with HR ;-)

Of course 8) 8)
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Z74 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:02 am

But does that elastic band actually hold in place when you swim in the pool?
This stuff doesn't hold on me... unless I have the Tri Suit on top... but I can't wear a Tri Suit in the swimming pool... Chlorine water is the death of it...

This is really the only instrument that holds on me. All styles, any speed... with or without flip turns.

Solid plastic, hidden by pectorals basically.

... and naturally Suunto discontinued it...
Z74

Postby the5krunner » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:13 am

Z74 wrote:But does that elastic band actually hold in place when you swim in the pool?

no-one has yet tested one. so there can be no answer yet.

it's wider and has sucky bits on the inside. the pod profile is thinner. so all this WILL make it better.

whether it will be good enough remains to be seen
the5krunner

Postby Z74 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:19 am

You're the judge.
I am interested in this item so your observations count. :)

Let me know.
Z74

Postby Andre77ab » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:34 pm

The Garmin Swim HR it's amazing in the pool, holding is position very well, unfortunately the plugin doesn't import the HR data as Garmin Connect does, you can see just avg and max hr but not the graph up to now
Andre77ab
Donated!
Donated!

Postby the5krunner » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Andre77ab wrote:The Garmin Swim HR it's amazing in the pool, holding is position very well, unfortunately the plugin doesn't import the HR data as Garmin Connect does, you can see just avg and max hr but not the graph up to now

WORKAROUND: Import into ST as normal (no hr). THEN SYNC with Garmin CONNECT Then Export as tcx from garmin connect. THEN. re-import into ST adding the HR track to the existing activity

seems to work.
the5krunner

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:20 am

Hi folks,

I might find some time in January to add import of this new "Swim HR" feature to Garmin FIT Devices plugin.
Anybody interested?
If yes, please send me some example activity .FIT files for testing. Please make sure that these REALLY contain that new type of heart rate messages (import with GFD plugin -> hr not there, upload to Garmin Connect -> hr is visible). Please send email - if you don't know my email address, please send PM first with YOUR email address).

May you have a joyful Xmas,
Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:51 am

I've just uploaded a new version of Garmin FIT Devices plugin, which supports HRM tri heart rate recordings and Garmin's new Running Dynamics features (ground contact balance, vertical ratio, stride length).

Enjoy,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Z74 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:04 am

Updates:
The HRM Swim does send live data to the Fenix3 underwater at a maximum distance of 30 cm, provided both the watch and the belt are underwater (or both out of the water).
The HR Gauge appears if you scroll the pages in REST mode. The F3 is an amazing instrument... with the cell phone in the MTB backpack in the dressing rooms and 2 walls in between, at a distance of 20 m, when I forget to switch the BLE off, whatsapp messages are pushed to the watch even DURING the swim. :)

By use of GFD plugin, all data is correctly ported, including length by length HR.
As far as the F3 is concerned, both .91b and .92b mess up the distance detected by the GFD importer.
Garmin is unlikely to go back to .90 metrics but to anyone who has the problem (or is going to have this problem once the beta becomes official), importing the .fit file with the ST3 importer and then reimporting the same log with the GFD plugin, allows you to insert the HRM data into the first one which ends up to be PERFECT (all custom data fields, all HR in lengths and all distance is correct).

The HRM Swim is truly an excellent tool but it's ill-suited for long bike rides because it's not elastic (it can't be, it would slip off underwater when the band gets soaked) and it will cut your dorsal muscles.

With today's swim it slipped off at 2050m and I had to stop to pull it up again to my chest... this totally ruined my training but not the log (I'm editing out the lapped time it took me to fix the problem: 1'10" but I can't simulate the real pace I would have had for the last 950m had I not had this problem).

I love looking at the good side: The HRM Swim didn't slip off the last week... it means I'm dropping weight... and... on top of that... today it detected my HR even though it was almost down to my hip when I stopped to fix it. AMAZING.
Z74

Return to Pool Swimming