by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,406 (11) • Reviews: 8

Version:

Updated:

Mar 10, 2016

Integrating HR data

Integrating HR data

Postby the5krunner » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:47 am

I currently use this plugin.. very nice indeed.

There are some new products coming (summer 2014) out that aim to record HR data from waterproof wrist bands. I think Pulse-On (http://www.pulseon.com) is one that springs to mind from memory

It might be worth thinking about how to integrate a separate HR data track with the data from Garmins (which as we know can't yet supply HR data underwater)

I have occasionally done this with a waterproof polar watch. For those one off sessions I can do separate analysis and there is no real loss. However if/when it bcomes very easy to get an extra HR track then it would be useful to integrate with the metrics you show in Pool Swimming. IMHO.
Last edited by the5krunner on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
----------------------------
tfk
http://the5krunner.com
the5krunner

Re: Integrating HR data

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:33 am

Well, let's wait until these devices will be available ...
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby the5krunner » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:17 am

in the sense of 'use an old polar' I guess they are available now and have been for quite some years.

however you are right I think (from my experience) it is impractical to regularly wear a HR strap as they move too much. So when we can get a wrist based one ...super cool!! (Maybe wrist HR monitors already exist? anyone?)
the5krunner

Postby texmurphy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:37 pm

the5krunner wrote:...(Maybe wrist HR monitors already exist? anyone?)

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/01/mio- ... -look.html
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby the5krunner » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:54 pm

thanks but....

it's useful for some women and people who don't want to wear a strap. it may also be more accurate and long term reliable.

however it doesn't work underwater unfortunately. for it to work for swim it would need to store the data rather than streaming it by ant+ (and I think Bluetooth) which don't work underwater.

does that make sense?

does to me :-)
EDIT: I have one (MIO Link) and it DOES work underwater and the 910XT CAN receive hr data but only when the devices are adjacent. Big problem of course is that in swim mode(s) the 910XT does not even try to find a hrm. so I have to swim in run-mode.

Note to OMB: HR data underwater from Garmin is one step closer. :-)
the5krunner

Return to Pool Swimming