by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,406 (11) • Reviews: 8

Version:

Updated:

Mar 10, 2016

Pool Swimming plugin

Pool Swimming plugin

Postby jjpopp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:38 pm

I am sorry for not starting a new topic but I dont see that option. My problem is that in the dropdown where I should see the Swimming function all i see is "Paused". I have tried to re-install, re-load, etc and nothing seems to work
jjpopp

Re: Pool Swimming plugin

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:35 pm

There are several similar posts like yours that have been properly answered.
Please try and search the forum and/or scan the "Pool Swimming" board and I'm sure you find a solution.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jjpopp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Thank you I have searched the forum as you suggested but there is not a response. Most of the posts deal with issues after the swim data has been imported and then display. I can even get the swimming plug in as on option. All I have see is PAUSED.

My aplogies if there is an answer but I have not found it
jjpopp

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:24 pm

Is the plugin in fact installed and enabled (-> Setttings:Plugins)
From which watch do you import?
Which importer do you use, ST's standard importer for .FIT files or Garmin FIT Devices plugin?
Can you please zip and attach at least one of the .FIT files of swimming activities that you've imported into ST.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jjpopp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi - yes the plugin is install and enabled (see attachments). I have tried both importers and same result. As requested I have attached the fit files and some additional information. I would really like to get it working
Attachments
Swimming 1-7-13 fit log.fitlog
(48.22 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Swimming 1-9-13 fit log.fitlog
Zip files as requested
(57.61 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
jjpopp

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:47 pm

The exported .FITLOG files don't help.
We need the original .FIT files from your Garmin that you've imported in order to help you get it working.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Communication with Garmin 910

Postby gpak » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:36 am

I also apologise for not starting a new topic, but I'm new to the forum.

I have a Garmin 910 and a trial Lap Swimming plugin. I can't for the life of me work out how to get the Garmin data into SportTracks.

When I upload via ANT, any swimming files do not get added to my History directory. The only place I can veiw lap swimming at present is the online Garmin Connect, but I can't access the .fit or whatever format files they are.

The communicator plugin does not find my 910.

I'm running SportTracks in Parallels on a Mac, and have installed all the Garmin communications software in Windows (and in MacIOS).
gpak

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:03 am

Don't import the .TCX files from the "History" folder, but the .FIT files from the "Activities" folder which is a sibling of "History".

.FIT is the native data format of the 910, which can carry all activity data, including pool swimming information.
.TCX is Garmin's vintage data format, which cannot carry pool swimming data. It's created by the ANT Agent when downloading data from the 910 for whatever reasons.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gpak » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:30 am

Thank you. Too easy!
gpak

Postby jjpopp » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Regarding the swimming plugin and the pause problem listed above here are the .fit files. Thanks for your help
Attachments
20130108-153656-1-1328-ANTFS-4-0.FIT
(11.64 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
20130108-150009-1-1328-ANTFS-4-0.FIT
(38.02 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
20130107-165056-1-1328-ANTFS-4-0.FIT
(11.86 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
jjpopp

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Buddy, are you kidding me :twisted:

Neither of the three .FIT files contain any swimming activitities.
The 1st one was recorded while sitting in your study, the other two ones show you walking/running through the suburbs of Chicago.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:01 am

old_man_biking wrote:Buddy, are you kidding me :twisted:

Neither of the three .FIT files contain any swimming activitities.
The 1st one was recorded while sitting in your study, the other two ones show you walking/running through the suburbs of Chicago.

Maybe thats what some are calling "Urban Swimming"!
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jjpopp » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:59 am

Ok. I will check but i will check but i swam on the 7th and 9th of jan
jjpopp

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Yes, but not on the roads around Chicago.
Maybe your 1st activity wasn't in your study, but in your bath tub :lol:
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:54 pm

OMB

I started to play with this plugin and I am shocked a bit from Pool Swimming in various senses. It seems to me that it is a bloody useful plugin for 910XT holders,the feature of editing is a crucial one, one the other hand it gave me already some error messages (I decided to neglect them, but if they happen again, I will report them).

There is only one thing that disturbs me. If I import .fit from 910XT without this plugin, I mean with the core part of ST3, then pause/rest is really considered pause and not just stopped times. If my net swimming time is 20 minutes and I switch off "Include watch pauses ..." in settings then my Time is simply 20 mins.
Both in "Use calculated values" and "Use manually entered values" modes. This is what I expect.

Importing the .same fit file with Pool Swimming plugin the situation changes.

In "Use calculated values" mode I get not the net but the gross time in Time (note "Include watch pauses ..." still switche doff), so eg. if I visited sauna for 40 mins between the intervals and I have a pause/rest of 40mins, then Time is exactly 1 hour. So resting times are considered as moving times. Strange.

Is it a bug or intended? If it is intended to change then what is the advantage of using this plugin as an import tool vs core ST3?
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Garmin FIT Devices plugin deliberately deletes the "Timer Pauses" from imported activities that have swim data.
Why did I decide to do that?
Pool swimming activities have rest lengths and active lengths, the rest lenghts are pauses.
"Timer Pauses" bring in yet another flavour of pause and I found that the two interfered so that the data displayed in Pool Swimming plugin were skewed.

Btw, you're supposed to swim with you new 910XT, not test it's heat-proofness in the Sauna :)

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:09 pm

"Pool swimming activities have rest lengths and active lengths, the rest lenghts are pauses."

The best use of 910XT in swimming has been being discussed on official Garmin forum and other forums like Slowtwitch.com.
FYI there are two philosophies and practice of course:
1) Push Start when you start swimming, push Lap when you finish an interval and push again Lap when you start the next interval
2) Push Start when you start swimming, push Stop when you finish an interval and during the rest you can and do push Lap anytime, preferably at the end of the rest. When you start swimming push Start.

In my first swim with 910XT I followed the second method and yes I wanted to make a thorough test both for 310XT and 910XT (I sold Magellan Switch Up later on the same day, so no risk I wanted to take :-) ) as regards underwater world and heat test.

It seems that if I wish to use PS plugin I should switch to method 1.

A link to one of the talks about it: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... ming-Rests
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:18 pm

Hhm, the 910 automagically detects non moving times (when you hold your arms still) and assigns them as "rest" lenghts.
Much like the autopause feature in outdoor use (where it however creates timer pauses).
So I'd say option no. 1 is the one that was anticipated by Garmin.

Rather strange that they changed concepts halfways (autopausing vs. rest lengths). I'd assume that they had (at least) 2 teams working on this unit, with the new "Pool Swimming" team inventing a new concept without asking the seasoned guys from the other team(s).
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:44 pm

old_man_biking wrote:Hhm, the 910 automagically detects non moving times (when you hold your arms still) and assigns them as "rest" lenghts.
Much like the autopause feature in outdoor use (where it however creates timer pauses).
So I'd say option no. 1 is the one that was anticipated by Garmin.

Rather strange that they changed concepts halfways (autopausing vs. rest lengths). I'd assume that they had (at least) 2 teams working on this unit, with the new "Pool Swimming" team inventing a new concept without asking the seasoned guys from the other team(s).

Maybe you are right, but in what other way do you handle the situation when you leave the pool between two swimming intervals? OK lets say not to sauna, but to the toilet. Your arm is moving, you are not in Pause, just in a new Lap, so no rest is detected while you are going to the rest room. :-)

What is your algorithm? Does your plugin simply say the the first and all the uneven laps are swimming intervals and the second and all the even ones are resting intervals? Or do you use a different method and the plugin is hunting for more data like strokes?

Because in the latter case the option 1 can't work in all cases in real life.

EDIT: what is even more strange that Dcrainmaker follows option 2 (search for the word "troubleshooting" http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garm ... eview.html) and he uses your plugin. I dont understand why he never had problem with the move you opted for. I mean that your plugin deletes paused time.
Last edited by Tisztul_A_Visztula on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby gpak » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:04 pm

The logical flaw in all this is that just because you are not swimming doesn't mean that your arms are still. Rests between sets end up with all sorts of little things to do: drink; adjust goggles, costume, whatever; change toys; stretch. No wonder the device has trouble pinning down rest breaks unless you either stop or pause or lap or all three. I'm too busy getting ready for the next set to be bothered.
Personally I don't get too hung up about the Garmin stats for swimming. You know what the set was, if there were timed intervals the coach tells you how you did, ditto a time trial. You can monitor how efficiently you are going by stroke count.
gpak

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:18 pm

gpak wrote:The logical flaw in all this is that just because you are not swimming doesn't mean that your arms are still. Rests between sets end up with all sorts of little things to do: drink; adjust goggles, costume, whatever; change toys; stretch. No wonder the device has trouble pinning down rest breaks unless you either stop or pause or lap or all three. I'm too busy getting ready for the next set to be bothered.
Personally I don't get too hung up about the Garmin stats for swimming. You know what the set was, if there were timed intervals the coach tells you how you did, ditto a time trial. You can monitor how efficiently you are going by stroke count.

I understand what you say, but I am almost an absolute beginner in swimming meaning that my may intervals are like 100m or so. Thus I need the exact data to motivate myself. And to check whether less strokes means more distance I can accomplish or just lower speed. So all these things are about to keep me in the water until I can swim 1km without any rest.
Last edited by Tisztul_A_Visztula on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby gpak » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Hey Zoltan
If you can only swim 100m at a time don't worry about the Garmin yet. Just count strokes per lap. After a while, you will note how many you take to get to markers on the bottom of the pool, joints, grates or just the half-way mark. If you are taking more strokes than normal, then you are not swimming efficiently. For me 10 to the first construction joint, 20 to half way 30 to the next construction joint and I know I'm on target.
gpak

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks for guiding me.

Actually last time my strokes were exactly the same as yours. I swam in a pool of 33m. :-)
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby Burnt Toast » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:38 am

Wow, I wonder how anybody made improvements or was motivated before the introduction of the "swim" watch within the last 2 years.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jjpopp » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi - regarding the paused problem I have been posting (not I did not swim in a bathtub) :D I have noticed that it swim to be the Garmin Fit Plugin as it shows PAUSED for every sport. Regarding the swmming plug I don't see it at all
jjpopp

Next

Return to Pool Swimming