by mechgt

Downloads: 12,931 (43) • Reviews: 16

Version:

Updated:

Feb 7, 2014

Manual TRIMP Calculation

Manual TRIMP Calculation

Postby wmckean » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:32 am

With the new feature in 1.4.2 to put in a TSS score in the notes: TSS=XXX, is it possible to do the same thing with say a swim workout and put in the TRIMP score for it? I have some runs (with a HRM, not a Garmin) and some swim workouts that I have manually calculated the TRIMP value for.
wmckean

Postby mechgt » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:02 am

Yes. TRIMP=xxxx and TSS=xxxx for any category workout. This is exactly what I've been doing for my swim workouts.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Manual TRIMP Calculation

Postby Netram » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:49 am

mechgt wrote:Yes. TRIMP=xxxx and TSS=xxxx for any category workout. This is exactly what I've been doing for my swim workouts.

So you have to write it in the notes field or can you input it directly in the Custom data field for TRIMP?

And does anyone have a good way of calculating TRIMP for swim sessions (not just guessing)?
Netram

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:35 am

Netram wrote:
mechgt wrote:Yes. TRIMP=xxxx and TSS=xxxx for any category workout. This is exactly what I've been doing for my swim workouts.

So you have to write it in the notes field or can you input it directly in the Custom data field for TRIMP?

And does anyone have a good way of calculating TRIMP for swim sessions (not just guessing)?

1. You need to put it in the notes field.
2. TRIMP is calculated by time spent in different HR Zones, so a good way to calculate is record your HR during swimming, otherwise you need to guess.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ksherman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:54 pm

I manually add a HR data track to my swims. I typically put my active laps at 140ish and my rest laps at 120. My rest laps are usually pretty short (ex runners hate to stand around the end of the lane :D . Then Training Load will calculate TRIMP.
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Giant Anthem '10
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:03 am

Stumpjumper68 wrote:
Netram wrote:

1. You need to put it in the notes field.
2. TRIMP is calculated by time spent in different HR Zones, so a good way to calculate is record your HR during swimming, otherwise you need to guess.

I don't know of any HR monitors that will send and recieve a signal while swimming. If there is one, let me know. My garmin will not send through the water.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Denzo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:28 am

Old Polarmodels without Wind Technology.
Denzo

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:51 pm

Burnt Toast wrote:I don't know of any HR monitors that will send and recieve a signal while swimming. If there is one, let me know. My garmin will not send through the water.

Take a look here: http://www.heartmonitors.com/exerciseti ... t_rate.htm
From the above link "Almost all heart rate monitors are waterproof, with the following recommendation: do not press the buttons underwater as this may break the waterproof seal."

In ST2 Forums I've seen a picture where someone had the HR Monitor under the swim cap.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby staffann » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:11 pm

Putting the device under the swim cap helps obtaining a GPS position but does nothing for HR measurement. Old Polar equipment or a Suunto memory belt are the two options I know of for HR measurement in water.
On the ST2Funbeat development team. Author of the Svettig (jogg.se) and Compare Planned plugins.
staffann
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:04 am

staffann wrote:Putting the device under the swim cap helps obtaining a GPS position but does nothing for HR measurement. Old Polar equipment or a Suunto memory belt are the two options I know of for HR measurement in water.

I knew the GPS trick, but had no idea the older polars and Sunnto memory belts could monitor HR underwater. Thanks for the info.

I tried my Garmin, but couldn't keep the strap inplace while swimming. I was hoping to get HR data durring rest periods. I settled for the old standby.....two finger method
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:11 am

You could use a tape to fix the HR Strap. Don't forget to post a picture here. :lol:
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Burnt Toast » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:56 am

Stumpjumper68 wrote:You could use a tape to fix the HR Strap. Don't forget to post a picture here. :lol:

That would be interesting considering that the older I get, the less hair I can keep on my head and the more it seems to show up on my chest......ouch :shock: as the tape is riped off.
Burnt Toast
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Training Load