Manually entering "Time in Zone"

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Manually entering "Time in Zone"

Postby nhorscro » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:33 am

I did an MTB race recently and forgot my chest strap at home. It was the 4th race in a series and I know they are very intense sessions so I want to make sure I capture my data, especially for use in the Training Load plugin. Based on the previous 3 races I can estimate what percentage of time I spent in each zone for both my warm-up and the actual race itself. And I have the total time as I had my Edge 705 with me to record time and distance. But I can't figure out how to manually enter my estimated time in each zone into ST. Is there a way to do this?
nhorscro

Re: Manually entering "Time in Zone"

Postby mechgt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:23 am

nhorscro wrote:I did an MTB race recently and forgot my chest strap at home. It was the 4th race in a series and I know they are very intense sessions so I want to make sure I capture my data, especially for use in the Training Load plugin. Based on the previous 3 races I can estimate what percentage of time I spent in each zone for both my warm-up and the actual race itself. And I have the total time as I had my Edge 705 with me to record time and distance. But I can't figure out how to manually enter my estimated time in each zone into ST. Is there a way to do this?

I don't believe that there is a way to do this directly. You can manually create a HR track (select activity > Edit activity > Data Tracks) and just create a HR track that has the properties you're interested in; but the easy way to make Training Load register your race would be to type "TRIMP=xxx" in the notes field somewhere (quotes are unnecessary.) TRIMP=xxx is probably the better way to do it if you can estimate your trimp rather than creating a false HR track.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby nhorscro » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks for your reply. I suspected there wasn't a way to do it but thought I would ask. I could estimate TRIMP from the previous races. Is TRIMP calculated by multiplying the time in each zone by the relevant factor and then adding together? That might be more accurate.
nhorscro

Postby mechgt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:08 am

yeah... think that's right. Note that time in zone is total seconds.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Manually entering "Time in Zone"

Postby DavidCHall » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:31 am

nhorscro wrote:forgot my chest strap at home.....Based on the previous 3 races I can estimate what percentage of time I spent in each zone for both my warm-up and the actual race itself. And I have the total time as I had my Edge 705 with me to record time and distance.

Maybe create a Heart Rate track in Excel (take a known activity, export as CVS, open in Excel to get the format): And then import this..

Klunky, but it will work...
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:18 pm

If you know how long you've been in a HR zone than you should add a heart rate trak via select activity > Edit activity > Data Tracks than trimp is more accurately calculated I guess. For example the first ten minutes I was between 140 and 160 I enter 10 minutes starting at 140 and end at 160 and apply for a point each 10 sec. So I will gather several minutes from 2 different HR zones. Next 30 minutes between 160 and 180 same procedure and so on. I guess that's more accurate than to assume an absolute Trimp value.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:26 pm

If you know how long you've been in a HR zone than you should add a heart rate trak via select activity > Edit activity > Data Tracks than trimp is more accurately calculated I guess. For example the first ten minutes I was between 140 and 160 I enter 10 minutes starting at 140 and end at 160 and apply for a point each 10 sec. So I will gather several minutes from 2 different HR zones. Next 30 minutes between 160 and 180 same procedure and so on. I guess that's more accurate than to assume an absolute Trimp value.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Questions