Comparison Garmin Forerunner 305 vs Garmin Edge 305

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Comparison Garmin Forerunner 305 vs Garmin Edge 305

Postby CHnuschti » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:18 am

Well... Motionbased.com forums will close sooner or later, so I transfer some of my informative posts herein before they are gone.

Had the occasion to use a Forerunner 305 (FR) simultaneously with and Edge 305 (ED). It's possible to use both at same time with same HR-Monitor and cadence sensor.

As known, the only difference in functionality between the FR and ED is the additional barometric elevation sensor of the ED.

Did analyse the behaviour, since I'm able to compare with accurate elevation from a digital map (Swiss Map).

These are my observations:
- Distance, HR, cadence and amount of logged points are logged almost identical by both units.
- The ED logs altitude considerably more accurate (total ascent and descent) than the FR.
- Elevation at start is equally "wrong" in both units, so it seems to depend from the actual position of the satellites alone.
- However, the FR seems to get faster into the correct "range" of altitude than the ED.
- The position how the FR (its GPS receiver is located in the tail of the unit where the garmin logo is) is mounted on the handlebar seems to be relevant. In the record of 20070607 (first pic), it was mounted as shown in the last pic on top (diplay horizontal). For the other e records (3 following pics) the FR was mounted as in last pic in the middle (GPS receiver horizontal). Seems to me that the first position additionally worsens the record. Could be an idea to enable the FR to reverse the display, this way you still could read the display and the position of the GPS receiver would be better (bottom of last pic).

regards

Image Image Image Image
CHnuschti

Return to Questions