Gear Selection

by mechgt

Downloads: 2,695 (5) • Reviews: 3

Version:

Updated:

Jan 31, 2012

Plug-in concept: Gear Indicater

Postby mechgt » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:35 am

Yeah, I agree. I almost liken this to watching an FBI show on TV where they get a fuzzy security camera image and... "enhance... enhance... enhance... There! Now we can read the perps retinas!"

You just can't do that. But I haven't completely given up yet.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:10 pm

mechgt wrote:This is what I'm using, however somewhere between my Garmin and ST the distance track (data track picked up by speed sensor) is discarded. I'm assuming that ST decided there was no use for this because it had GPS and thus doesn't import it. I'm planning to do this same route again tonight, and I should be able to modify my LinuxGarminImport plugin to import the data directly from the speed sensor also and record it as the distance track. I'll be sure to put it on 1 second recording. We'll see what that turns out.

The DistanceTrack is available when importing, but ST drops the track by default as ST uses the GPS distance data. To utilize the Distance track, you can do one of the following:
* Run the action in PreImport (for non plugin writers: This has to be done in the program)
* Import a second time, updating the activity
* Edit -> Data Tracks and import a CSV file

As far as I know, the only use of the Distance track is in the following plugins:
* ApplyRoute when exporting Routes (I believe)
* MiscPlugin SetTimeGPS applying time on GPS points for graphs etc
* GPScorrection plugin to remove obviously bad GPS points
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby mechgt » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:56 pm

gerhard wrote:...To utilize the Distance track, you can do one of the following:
* Import a second time, updating the activity

Good call my friend... piece of cake. The LinuxGarminImport plugin was already populating this data, just needed to import it again. Nice.

Here's what I came up with when using the speed/distance data from the wheel sensor, this is the most accurate data available as far as I can tell:

Raw data only:

Same data, but with gear 'guesses':
(FYI, I improved on the guess algorithm from the previous charts (previously used VLOOKUP which picked something like 'lowest without going over'; it now picks the 'closest match'.)

Anyway, I have to say, I'm having a hard time looking at this and actually seeing specific gear ratios. If you look at the raw data, the flat lines depicting gears just don't exist. I do see clustering of points, which probably indicate a single gear for some time, but the ratios reported from the data span 3 gears in many cases. For instance, I'm going to guess that from about 1330 to approx. 1370 sec. I was riding in 1 gear, not shifting (remember this is only 40 seconds we're looking at.) This makes sense, but the data is spanned over 3 different gears; same could be said for many of the data ranges; particularly in the middle zone where the big and small chainring create close or overlapping ratios (as PissedOffCil noted a few posts ago).

So in my opinion, with the best data available (from my Garmin Forerunner 305 with Speed/Cadence sensor), it's just not possible to discern the precise gear used at any time and with fuzzy data such as this, I wouldn't think that one could, with any reasonable accuracy, determine the detailed statistics.

You can however see the generalities, the gear ratios clearly move up and down with terrain, but I question how useful this is without the details. You're not going to be able to tell how frequently you shift, or if you shift at a particular time on one climb and another on a different climb which is better, or things like this.

The charts look neat though... :wink:
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby 7270martin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:40 am

The charts looks very neat, indeed!

I have done a similar analysis based on Ibike data (no gps at all!). Unfortunately, a similar unclear result.

Maybe such an analysis is still helpful when comparing trainings on exactly the same track. Would it be a huge task to provide such a gear analyzer plugin which does the same calculations as the excel-file? To eliminate any misunderstanding the plugin could be called gear estimator or something.

I'm thinking about buying the new Shimano Flight deck Computer SC 7900. Would be great if a possible gear analyzer plugin could also deal with Shimano's data.
7270martin
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:48 pm

mechgt wrote:Here's what I came up with when using the speed/distance data from the wheel sensor

The speed/distance track is likely still from GPS data though, from what I have heard. Since the device has access to more information, the speed distance is likely a little more accurate than the data determined from the GPS data only. Some Edge 705 fw reportedly used the wheel sensor, but this required that users calibrated the sensor.
Still, I have a feeling that the data is not detailed and fine grained enough...
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby mechgt » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:17 pm

gerhard wrote:
mechgt wrote:Here's what I came up with when using the speed/distance data from the wheel sensor

The speed/distance track is likely still from GPS data though, from what I have heard. Since the device has access to more information, the speed distance is likely a little more accurate than the data determined from the GPS data only. Some Edge 705 fw reportedly used the wheel sensor, but this required that users calibrated the sensor.
Still, I have a feeling that the data is not detailed and fine grained enough...

I keep saying that I don't think the data has enough detail, but yet I keep looking at it... anyway. Can you get a distance track from a trainer? That should tell you pretty definitively whether it's GPS based or comes from the speed sensor. I've got the prelims of some decent data actually after adding just a touch of smoothing. Maybe I can post some screenshots shortly.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:23 pm

mechgt wrote:Can you get a distance track from a trainer?

Test with turning of GPS and speed sensor?
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby mechgt » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:44 pm

gerhard wrote:
mechgt wrote:Can you get a distance track from a trainer?

Test with turning of GPS and speed sensor?

Right. Someone with a Garmin and a speed/cadence sensor should test an indoor training session with GPS turned ON (I'm unable to do this right now.) The GPS data will have a garbage blob of points, but the speed/distance track should have good solid data.

In order to test, just import the activity two times, noting that the second import will just be an 'update' of the original with the speed/distance track updated. Go to Edit Activity > Data Tracks and view the Distance track... if it's coming from the cadence unit, it should look like a nice straight line ending at whatever your real activity distance was.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby 7270martin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:24 pm

I'd love to do that. But I don't have an indoor trainer with a gsc-10:-(
7270martin
Donated!
Donated!

Postby clackerz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:11 pm

I could possibly do this test.
I have a sensor and a trainer or rollers I can test on.
I'll give it a go over the next couple of days.....
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby clackerz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Hmmm....I swear I had the GPS turned on....:x
Anyway I did the workout, but no GPS.

It was done with 1 sec recording. The last time I had the GPS on with the rollers I had Smart Recording....

I'll try again tonight/tomorrow - I'll do a shorter one and see how it goes.

FYI the distance track did import on the second import - updating the activity.

I can post a link to the fitlog if you wish.....
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby mechgt » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Awesome, sure post a link to it. You may have had GPS turned on, but it may have been searching for satellites the entire time (thus no GPS recorded... maybe?) Anyway, if you get a distance track without GPS, then the distance track came from the speed/cadence sensor, not GPS. Thanks, good find!
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby clackerz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:22 pm

Fitlog File here.

I did have an activity where I had the GPS turned on during a roller session, and there were points all over my house and street.... :P

So it did lock onto satellites for that activity, but not this one.[/url]
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby 7270martin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:57 am

Any news on that?
7270martin
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:58 am

7270martin wrote:Any news on that?

Oops :oops: ! Sorry, this slipped my mind. I'll take a look at it later this evening and get back to you. In the meantime, here's an idea of what it looks like:

mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby 7270martin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:17 am

Wow thanks, this looks very nice, especially if a graph for grade in % could be shown together in the same graph.

Would be excellent, if the table above the graph contains a summary of manually configurable ranges of the gear ratio (e.g. 4-4.5 m/rev):
per range with time, distance, elevation gained, average grade, power, average cadence, manual notes etc.

Would be very cool if this could be realized!!!
7270martin
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:47 am

Mechgt, you should have a look at the code of my Filtered Statistics plugin. You'll find everything in there to have multiple charts layered without having to code it. Just saying so Martin can have his feature!!! ;)

I could also peek your plugin to include this graph in my filtered stats plugin... what do you think?
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:57 am

Gear Selection plugin:
Download

Give this a try and give me any feedback you've got. Also, give feedback on the accuracy of the data. Have fun!

Activity Detail Display:

Settings page:
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jibberjim » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Accuracy is okay... not great, it often appears to jump into the next higher or lower gear and then returns almost immediately. However the cadence I have is from my powertap so that itself is inherently inaccurate (although the smoothing it gives may help more than hinder in general.)

I'd show a graph, but one bug I do see is every time I try and export the graph as an image the plugin crashes.

Duplicate gear inches should be only shown once - I have a 50x35 12x25 and I get identical 4.19" which is just repeated, be better if they weren't

Otherwise it works pretty well.
jibberjim
Donated!
Donated!

how to install

Postby piccolo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:00 am

Sorry for the Question, How doe I install this plugin :oops:
piccolo

Postby PissedOffCil » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:43 pm

mechgt wrote:Settings page:

I'd be great if this was per activity category or equipment!!! I have multiple bikes all with different gearings...
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Re: how to install

Postby jibberjim » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:51 pm

piccolo wrote:Sorry for the Question, How doe I install this plugin :oops:

Download the file - rename it to gear.st2plugin (depending on which browser you use it may get renamed to .zip because of the mime-type) and then double click it to install like you would any other plugin.
jibberjim
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:03 pm

PissedOffCil wrote:I'd be great if this was per activity category or equipment!!! I have multiple bikes all with different gearings...

Good point. It'd have to be per equipment to be proper... right? Right now, I'm storing the settings in the preferences file, but if I mate this with the logbook, I'd have to move those settings to the logbook. Anyway, I'll look into it and see what can be done.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Re: how to install

Postby piccolo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:07 am

jibberjim wrote:
piccolo wrote:Sorry for the Question, How doe I install this plugin :oops:

Download the file - rename it to gear.st2plugin (depending on which browser you use it may get renamed to .zip because of the mime-type) and then double click it to install like you would any other plugin.

thanks, it sowed as a zip file and i was lost. :oops:

Wow... thanks. I will play with it.
piccolo

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:53 am

When I've clicked the add gear buttom it disappear. But when I'll hover the mouse over this field it appear again.

Would be great if I click on a ratio the GPS points will appear on the map. 8)

Nice plugin :D
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Selection