Need SportTracks Replacement That Cleanly Imports Data

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Need SportTracks Replacement That Cleanly Imports Data

Postby cleavel » Sat May 25, 2019 10:59 pm

Hello,

I've tried wading through other threads and I've found some information but I haven't found a solution. I started using SportTracks in 2006 and as of today, I have 91,103 cycling miles and 3,786 cycling activities. I have a few other activities but those are not important to me. I am providing these statistics, not to brag, but to indicate the amount of data that I want to transfer to a new desktop application.

I have also been using and paying for SportTracks MOBI since it started and as someone else noted, I use MOBI primarily for training "headlines" and I use SportTracks 3 (with various plug-ins) to deep-dive my training data. I also use Garmin Connect but I can't do the data analysis in Garmin Connect that I can do in SportTracks 3. Also, I don't have Garmin Connect data back to 2006 because Garmin killed their desktop app a number of years ago and I couldn't find a way to easily transfer data from the desktop app to the web-based Garmin Connect. I basically use Garmin Connect as a backup should all else fail. I also sue the free version of Strava, but like Garmin Connect, I only have data back to 2011.

Another thread indicated that one could easily import .fitlog data into Golden Cheetah. I installed the application and tried creating some .fitlog files for a couple of different years of data. Both years imported into Golden Cheetah but everything imported as 'swim' and I could not find a way to globally change everything to 'Bike'. Also, some of the data was just wrong. There is a particular route that I ride at least once per week and it is 29.8 miles give-or-take a tenth. I found several instances where the import showed the correct route on the map but the distance was around 22 miles. Also, my notes didn't come across. (For reference, I exported my 2006 and 2018 data using separate .fitlog files.)

Ideally, I'd like to find a desktop training application that imports the .logbook3 data file directly but I can live with a clean .fitlog import. I have searched the web for answers but have come up with nothing other than Golden Cheetah.

Any other suggestions or experiences that someone can share?

TIA.
Thanks.

Cleave
cleavel
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Need SportTracks Replacement That Cleanly Imports Data

Postby cleavel » Sat May 25, 2019 11:11 pm

Just wanted to add that I have been extremely happy with the performance of SportTracks 3 over the past 13 years. Yes, I've encountered a few of the bugs in the software but the bugs were never debilitating from my perspective and Zone Five generally fixed them very rapidly. This year, I've had to deal with the Google Maps issue (I didn't want to set up the API code with Google), the Garmin import issue (now I just use the file function), and find weather issue with the OldManBiking plug-in (no workaround yet), so I am becoming more anxious about finding an alternative desktop app.
Thanks.

Cleave
cleavel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Sun May 26, 2019 8:27 am

Other than Golden Cheetah, other option is MyTourbook. http://mytourbook.sourceforge.net/mytourbook/ MT will import .fitlog exported from ST3.
MT does not have the analysis depth of GC especially for power.
MT has very nice mapping functions and you can detach the map window which can be very helpful. Track edit is based on "timeslices" which is not as easy as ST3 track edit (but then no other program provides the track edit ability of ST3).

PerfPRO Analyser http://perfprostudio.com/Analyzer.aspx may be another option. I have not yet trialed it.

You can load old activities into Strava. Export from ST3 as tcx and do manual file uploads to strava http://app.strava.com/upload/select Strava has some limits on file size and number per upload. Off peak uploads of 14-20 activities at a time should be doable.
Other useful tools with Strava include Veloviewer https://blog.veloviewer.com/about/
and the Elevate Chrome plugin https://thomaschampagne.github.io/elevate/#/landing
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby cleavel » Sun May 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Thanks texmurphy for the reply.

I actually tried MyTourbook twice and couldn't get it to work because of Java. I recently had to get a new Windows 10 (Home) computer and I tried installing a couple of different version of Java but MTB would never start and kept giving me error messages related to Java.

I am also looking at Training Peaks for all of this year's data and moving forward.

From what I have seen, nothing, including SportTracks MOBI compares to the flexibility, custom reports, and analysis of SportTracks 3. I wish MOBI was a cloud version of 3 but that's not the case. I will miss it but things change as time moves on.
Thanks.

Cleave
cleavel
Donated!
Donated!

My Tourbook

Postby nickbest » Mon May 27, 2019 2:39 am

I've been looking at My Tourbook (MTB) as a replacement for ST and just wanted to give it's developers a shout out here for the software and its developers.

I requested a ST feature that's crucial for me that wasn't in MTB and within 3 days it had been created in their latest development version (although that's yet to be released). They're also working on various other ST features that other users are requesting too.

Initially, I found it difficult to install, but that was resolved by installing 64 bit java, found here: https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Uploading my 12 years of ST data worked quickly and seamlessly too (although I know others have had issues - but again the developers of MTB look to be working to resolve their issues too.)

Who else is trying this and how are you finding it?
nickbest

Re: My Tourbook

Postby texmurphy » Mon May 27, 2019 1:31 pm

The departure of ST3 pc users to MT is improving an already excellent MT.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Re: My Tourbook

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 am

I am also pleased with the level of welcome by MTB's community.

My evolution in ST3 was that for years I had been making my logbook more and more complicated using lots of plugins, but my last year was about simplification to make my logging as fast as it can be. Certainly I wanted to keep some data to which I an still interested in, but eg. I don't give a damn to weather data any more. And not so easily, but I said goodbye to running power data, too, because it gave me too much job (I always questioned the accuracy of the data of Power Runner compared to those of GPS2Powertrack, never knew which was I should have kept)

The crucial point for me is whether there will be a facility within MTB which is similar to Calculated Fields (CF) plugin of ST3.

In CF I defined three types of formulae.

a) I defined some to get the custom data fields of peak power, HR and VAM data over different time spans. I deleted some time spans to make the calculation faster, but I still have 15s, 30s, 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m, 5m, 20m and 60m watt, 1m, 5m and 20m HR and VAM.

b) I defined some pretty simple formulate to get some extra custom data fields, which are also missing from ST3, namely moving time, moving speed and 'how many' (it is whether I made my activties alone, the data is 1, together with someone, it is 2, or with of a group of at least 2 people, then it is 9) and a formula which seems to complicate, but it is not to estimate my fat calories.

Just for fun: (Math.Max(Math.Min((175-{AVGHR})/175*2.827,0.21),0)+Math.Max(Math.Min((162-{AVGHR})/162*2.991,0.24),0)+Math.Max(Math.Min((149-{AVGHR})/149*2.063,0.18),0)+Math.Max(Math.Min((136-{AVGHR})/136*0.209,0.02),0)+Math.Max(Math.Min((123-{AVGHR})/123*0.568,0.3),0))*{CALORIES}

c) and finally I ave formula to save the values of standard data fields like avg spd, avg pace, avg HR, distance, elapsed time etc, because I have a simplified version of my loogbok, from which I delete all the data tracks from time to time, and I realized that the saved average and maximum values of those data tracks go crazy sometimes after deletion.

So it has been my story within ST3.

In MTB I am now testing which I can find where and how. And in a time or so I will start to raise questions about the custom fields which are either in groupb a) or b) hoping that I won't need the custom fields being in group c), because digesting data within my logbook will be fast enough and I can avoid the deletion of the data tracks.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby pukkie » Tue May 28, 2019 6:53 am

today I stumbled on Runner's Studio looks pretty damn good with the dashboard, goals & mega goals stuff, but no fit v2 support I think
pukkie
Donated!
Donated!

Postby rogerpgvg » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:40 am

Does anyone know a program (apart from ST mobi) that (1) imports the laps that I have manually created in ST3 and (2) allows me to set the stopped speed (autopause) for individual activities? MyTourBook looks good, but last time I checked it, it didn't allow me to set the stopped speed for individual activities. Thanks!
rogerpgvg

Postby pucko » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:18 am

Do you have the mobi version of ST to? Otherwise you can sign up for a 45 day free trial,
Sync ST3 with mobi version, then download Golden Cheata dev version that can sync with sporttracks.mobi
pucko

Postby texmurphy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:33 am

You could also try Final Surge which is more Tri orientated. https://www.finalsurge.com/
Web based, trainer focused but free for individual athletes. It will do tire and shoe distance/wear tracking.
Supports .fit V2 files, Connect and Strava loads. Has workout scheduling calendar.

btw: My preference is MyTourBook.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby bubbacamacho » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:01 pm

texmurphy have you found a good way to bulk import data from SportTracks to FinalSurge? The only way I have found to do a bulk import is through a manual import via the calendar, but then it puts all the workouts on the same day.
bubbacamacho

Postby texmurphy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:47 am

@bubbacamacho - I have only sampled finalsurge. I have not tried using it with more than a few activities using file upload.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alphasports » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:03 am

I have tried installing MyTourBook about 10x on several Windows 10 machines but it fails every time due to Java errors. I have updated to the latest version of Java in each case and it continues to fail, I thought this type of PC nonsense went out 10 years ago, so bye bye MTB.
alphasports

Postby FredB1184 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:41 pm

alphasports wrote:I have tried installing MyTourBook about 10x on several Windows 10 machines but it fails every time due to Java errors. I have updated to the latest version of Java in each case and it continues to fail, I thought this type of PC nonsense went out 10 years ago, so bye bye MTB.

Did you make sure to install the 64bit version of Java ? What java errors do you get?
FredB1184

Postby alphasports » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:36 am

FredB1184 wrote:
alphasports wrote:I have tried installing MyTourBook about 10x on several Windows 10 machines but it fails every time due to Java errors. I have updated to the latest version of Java in each case and it continues to fail, I thought this type of PC nonsense went out 10 years ago, so bye bye MTB.

Did you make sure to install the 64bit version of Java ? What java errors do you get?

Yes 64 bit. Initially it was the "Java is not installed" warning, so despite several fails at installing the latest version I finally got it done, only to be followed by another warning unrelated to installation, which I've forgotten. Not going to bother reinstalling again to find out, I'm done.
alphasports

Postby FredB1184 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:18 am

alphasports wrote:Yes 64 bit. Initially it was the "Java is not installed" warning, so despite several fails at installing the latest version I finally got it done, only to be followed by another warning unrelated to installation, which I've forgotten. Not going to bother reinstalling again to find out, I'm done.

That's a bummer, but not everybody is tech savy so i understand. If you change your mind, I am sure that we can help you, feel free to give a holler on the official forum
Otherwise, here is the list I came up with for other on-premises ST alternatives :
TurtleSports, PyTrainer, Runner’s studio (http://www.runnersstudio.com/), MyTourBook, GoldenCheetah, WKO5, TrailRunnerX (Mac only : http://www.trailrunnerx.com/trailrunnermini.php), RubiTrack – Mac Only (https://rubitrack.com/)
Last edited by FredB1184 on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
FredB1184

Postby alphasports » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:22 am

That's exactly the problem: I run my own technology firm that produces realtime data-driven live graphics for sports on major broadcast networks...we're as tech-savvy as they come! But this sort of idiotic 1990's-era system-level error is simply a waste of my time, period. I'll stick with Garmin Connect, Mobi and Polar Flow and make the best of it.
alphasports

Return to Questions