All of a sudden I can't import data from my device.

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

All of a sudden I can't import data from my device.

Postby Rootman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:14 pm

Been using ST3 for 7 years. I've had Garmin devices for the last 5. I don't ride during the winter so my last import was from 10/28/2018 which went fine.

I've updated my Windows 10 PC to 1809 in that time, the Garmin Communicator Plugin is installed and is the same version I used last fall. When attempting an import I get a "Could not initialize the required component. Garmin Communicator Plugin . . . Could not create or initialize Garmin DeviceControl() Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected" . I uninstalled the Garmin Communicator plugin and reinstalled it. I even uninstalled ST3 and went back to the version that worked last fall. I am in the local administrators group and even tried running ST3 as administrator with the same issue.

The Garmin Express talks to the device and imports to the Garmin app just fine.

Anyone got any ideas?
Rootman

Re: All of a sudden I can't import data from my device.

Postby Rootman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:58 am

Well, I got a solution, but not an answer. I also had ST3 installed on another laptop, Windows 10 1809 as well. It too suffered from the same issue "Could not initialize the required component. Garmin Communicator Plugin . . . Could not create or initialize Garmin DeviceControl() Garmin Communicator Plugin NOT detected".

So I uninstalled it and then fired up a Virtualbox virtual machine Windows 10 1809 VM I have for testing and installed ST3 there. I tried an import and it worked. So it's something else that is affecting the ST3 from importing from my Garmin. I installed the same plugins and everything, Windows updates are up to date as well.

While a nuisance, I can still see the data on my normal Laptop's ST3 because I put the logbook on my Google drive. As long as I don't open two sessions at once I will be fine. I've been doing this for years anyway so I can see the same data on both laptops.

This has the added benefit that as long as I can keep Virtualbox (or some other virtualization software running) with this VM I can update or replace my main laptop without worrying about ST3 being reinstalled and activation once ST3 goes totally EOL.
Rootman

Postby ccollard58 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:48 am

i am having the same problem importing from a garmin 920xt.

i believe garmin just updated the garmin express app automatically to 6.13.1.0.

i think this has broken the interface to ST3. i'm looking for a solution. maybe we can install an old version?
ccollard58

Postby Rootman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:10 pm

ccollard58 wrote: maybe we can install an old version?

I think you're on to something there, that's the UNcommon thing between the laptops that would NOT work and the VM that would - no Garmin on the one it would work on.

I tried older version of Garmin, and ST3 too. Waht ever screwed it up seems persistent.

I solved ultimately the issue completely, and the issue of ST3 going EOL as well, by switching to My Tour Book, I exported all my rides in one fell swoop and they came across just fine.
Rootman

Postby admin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Garmin Import? There's a FAQ for that!

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=17591

I didn't see that this said "Garmin Communicator Plugin" or I just assumed it was a typo. That software was killed off by Garmin nearly over a decade ago in 2012... what on earth are you thinking trying to use that! :lol:
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan Foweraker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:28 am

I have the same issue - I was able to import direct from the watch into ST3 and now I can't .... and the workaround is to download the .FIT files from Garmin Connect and manually add them? :cry:

I thought support would continue for another year?
Jonathan Foweraker

Postby runs4cache » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:25 pm

Garmin Express and Garmin Communicator plugin are not Sport Tracks products. GC was discontinued so long ago, probably about 10 years? if I remember right it was Microsoft that ended that type of plugin over security concerns. I believe what happened with the Garmin Express update is that it no longer leaves a local copy of the fit file to grab. Garmin Express continues to work well if you are using MOBI to sync in from Garmin Connect to ST3. This is a pretty slick import, almost completely hands free from the watch into ST3, but since it doesn't go through the import screen you have to add the location info yourself. Between the Garmin Communicator plugin and Garmin Express was the Garmin ANT+ Agent. I have another ST3 setup where it still has the ANT+ Agent, which does leave a local copy of FIT and TCX files, and I use the ST3 Import, but instead of pointing the watch, I point it to the folder that has the FIT file data in it. That is _almost_ as easy as the import from device, except you have to select the new files rather than letting it decide which ones are new from the device.
runs4cache
-PAID-
-PAID-

Postby runs4cache » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:19 pm

You don't mention the device, but if it was old enough for Garmin Communicator then it might be old enough to use the USB cable such as Edge or Forerunner 305, in which case I use a USB version of the driver on the import page (Show All Devices, the icon with the + on it rather than the star).
runs4cache
-PAID-
-PAID-

Postby Jeff92677 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:08 pm

On April 9, 2019 I imported data from my Garmin Forerunner 305 via USB. Since the demise of Garmin Connect I have not used GC or Garmin Express. Long ago I download Garmin Communicator and everything worked fine with ST3. As of 4/19/2019 when I select import, click on the 305 and select next - I get the message ST3 "Cannot create or initialize Garmin Device Control(). Garmin Communicator not Connected." I changed nothing on my Win 10 1809 machine, no downloads, no updates. My data has never been online so there shouldn't be any Garmin or ST3 changes made to my computer. Automatic updates are turned off. I see that there are post dating back to 2006 on this topic but no apparent solution other than creating a Garmin Express account, uploading data, then downloading it to ST3.

Anyone out there have a better solution or explanation as to what happened this month? All I use ST3 is to keep a record of my activity - nothing more.
Jeff92677

Postby runs4cache » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:13 pm

Try this driver from the Plugin library. It just grabs the data over the usb without going through the Garmin drivers.
http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttr ... er#reviews
Download it. Install it. Restart SportTracks. Go to Import. Look in new devices, scroll down to Forerunner 305 and just below it you will see an additional one, Forerunner 305 [USB] with a USB logo over the picture of the watch.
runs4cache
-PAID-
-PAID-

Postby whiskywheels » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:41 am

This may be relevant or of interest to some..........https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=g ... tab=topics
whiskywheels

Postby Jeff92677 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:17 pm

runs4cache you are my new best friend! the USB v for the 305 worked right out of installation! Had to delete the 305 that I was using and go down the list after clicking the + to add a new device but in that list I found the 305(USB) and all is good now.

So for someone else with a G Forerunner 305 that won't connect to ST3 - here are the steps I followed:
1- download: http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttr ... er#reviews
2. close and reopen ST3
3. click on import
4. delete any connected devices that appear in this step
5. click the + to add a device
6. scroll down the list until you find 305(USB) - select that one
7. at that point ST3 accepted the new device and downloaded the data from my 305

A side note: I have 1 good and 3 not so good Forerunner 305s - best GPS and fitness tracking watch for me. I figure I can keep at least one working until I no longer can exercise!

Thanks again for the helpful suggestion.
Jeff92677

Postby runs4cache » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:38 pm

Sweet ! I'm glad it worked out.
runs4cache
-PAID-
-PAID-

Postby clonk » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:18 am

admin wrote:I didn't see that this said "Garmin Communicator Plugin" or I just assumed it was a typo. That software was killed off by Garmin nearly over a decade ago in 2012... what on earth are you thinking trying to use that!

If you look at the "I am crushed" thread: http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18089, you'll see there are others who are in the same boat.

I'd had a couple of Forerunners, went with a 920XT a couple of years back when my 305 fell apart. I just kept using the same Garmin Communicator Plugin setup, hadn't gotten the memo about it being obsolete. Maybe the info is on this forum somewhere, but you for sure won't find it at Garmin. I was able to download "CommunicatorPlugin_420.exe" from Garmin just the other day, but of course it didn't help.

Maybe Microsoft did something recently that actually killed the plugin, but good luck finding out what.

Anyway, the solution for the Forerunner 920XT is pretty simple.

In ST3, under Import, click on the folder icon under the watch icon in the "Select data to import" dialog.

There's an address bar at the top, with a small folder icon to the right. Clicking on the small icon shows me "My Documents" and "My Computer", but there's nothing under my computer. I went into Windows Explorer, and found the 920XT was the D: drive. A little poking around revealed that "d:\GARMIN\ACTIVITY" is the correct folder. "Select data to import" shows a bunch of ".FIT" files, almost like Windows Explorer. You can click on the "Date Modified" header to get descending order, making it easy to pick out the new files. After that, import is the same.

Using this file method is a lot faster than using the plugin, since it transfers only the new files. I think the plugin must have read every single workout every time, which gets kind of slow after a couple of years. Maybe it's time to delete some stuff.

The nice thing about the plugin was that it automatically figured out what was new, and you didn't have to figure out the path to the data or worry about files. I guess we all like the data, but not everyone grooves on data processing, and having "My Computer" show up empty doesn't help.

Based on the other comments, I think the plugin may be a goner, but this method should work for the newer watches, and the USB method that runs4cache mentioned should work for the older ones.
clonk
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:30 am

You can check the forum posts here or on Garmin for solutions. You need to upgrade to the Garmin Express software that replaced Garmin Communicator six years ago. Garmin Communicator is no longer an option to use since it was terminated. Read the FAQ for information on importing to the legacy ST3 Windows App:

Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rootman » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:42 am

admin wrote:Garmin Import? There's a FAQ for that!

I didn't see that this said "Garmin Communicator Plugin" or I just assumed it was a typo. That software was killed off by Garmin nearly over a decade ago in 2012... what on earth are you thinking trying to use that! :lol:

I'm late back to the game, but the question was asked "what on earth are you thinking trying to use that!'. I used the Communicator plugin up until last fall because it was there and still worked. I had no idea it was broken and never had any issues with it. I imported, selected my device and I was off to the races. I've never really needed support on ST3 so I seldom even checked in here. Until I had import issues and then saw the demise of ST3.

I've since switched to importing the FIT file directly, so the issue is moot now. Especially since I have largely moved on toe My Tourbook since ST3 will go EOL. I'll keep ST3 up to date just for old times sake but it's all but dead, just waiting for the funeral.
Rootman

Return to Questions