by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,791 (5) • Reviews: 0

Version:

Updated:

May 15, 2016

Overwriting standard tracks with custom data tracks

Overwriting standard tracks with custom data tracks

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:32 pm

What I would like to do is to overwrite the data points of a standard track, namely Power, with those of a Custom Data Track.

Eg. I would copy the values of Power2 of CDT plugin to Power or those of a Garmin IQ power-related custom data track

Is it possible somehow?
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Re: Overwriting standard tracks with custom data tracks

Postby admin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Tisztul_A_Visztula wrote:What I would like to do is to overwrite the data points of a standard track, namely Power, with those of a Custom Data Track.

Why? SportTracks online Garmin Sync does this automatically if a CIQ field is flagged as a native power sensor time series...

I can't say for the ST3 Windows PC app. Moved to custom data track plugin forum, maybe an answer here?
Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:12 pm

Why? Because the power data track coming from a CIQ app (not a power sensor related app, just a power calculator using the watch data) seems to be more consistent when running uphill and downhill than power data calculated either by GPS2Powertrack plugin, which is originaly for bicycling and just tweaked for running and walking, or even by PowerRunner plugin, which should do the same.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby admin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:22 pm

Hi, sorry for the confusion.

My question what advantage does "overwrite the data points of a standard track" give, instead of leave in a custom data track what come from a CIQ app?

Or why not disable these power calc plugins if they have inconsistent data?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:11 am

admin wrote:Hi, sorry for the confusion.

My question what advantage does "overwrite the data points of a standard track" give, instead of leave in a custom data track what come from a CIQ app?

Or why not disable these power calc plugins if they have inconsistent data?

Because I have around 10 custom fields which calculate the peak power over different time span using the standard Power track and there are hundreds of this data saved as values. In order to avoid a confusing logbook I wish to use the same custom data fields both for cycling where I have DFPM-measured power data and for running where I already saved peak power mainly having used Power Runner and sometimes GPS2Powertrack.

Right now these plugins are disabled, but how could I keep the consistency of my logbook in the future? I deemed that with a copy to power track.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:56 am

It seems that it is impossible to copy a Custom Data Track (CDT) into a Standard Track.

But now I have another idea. As I mentioned before the reason why I insisted on having non-empty power tracks was that I used custom data fields calculated from Standard Power Data Track.
IMy idea is to finetune the calculation of my custom data fields (CDF) building in a condition, and thus my peak power CDFs will be still calculated from Standard Power Data Track in case of cycling activities, while they will be calculated from my power CDT in case of running activities. And so power data track could be empty for running activities.

But I need some help how to refer the data points of CDTs in Calculated Fields plugin. I checked the plugin formula pool thread but found no reference about it.
I hope it is possible somehow.

Pleeeease help me! :-)
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby admin » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:38 am

Sounds like a terrible amount of work and coding! :shock:

I can't say about the ST3 Windows app, but FYI the SportTracks online platform does all this automatically. CIQ sensors tagged as power meters will be incorporated into the Power sensor data, critical power plots are calculated for every workout with a power sensor (no matter where it comes from), CIQ power can be used for training load and efficiency index calculations, seasonal CP "personal bests" can be compared across years..just like a real power meter, and of course you can overlay the charts with all the normal data from HRM, cadence, or run dynamics or any other CIQ recorded field.

It just all works out of the box.

Cheers!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Custom Data Tracks