Garmin 910XT Import

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Garmin 910XT Import

Postby IAlvino » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:39 am

I also cannot get my Garmin 910XT to import. None of the methods I have found for this device work either. I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to do this in detail.
IAlvino

Re: Garmin 910XT Import

Postby Moriendor » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Same here. Ever since Garmin Express updated to version 6.11.1.0 I have been unable to import my data into ST (using the ANT stick).

It seems that Garmin Express now bypasses Windows completely and uploads the data directly to Garmin Connect without storing a *.fit file in \program data\garmin... etc.
I always used the method to import my data from that *fit file in \program data and it's been working for years until the recent update.

A direct import when selecting the named-as-such "Forerunner 910XT" device or the "Garmin Unspecified GPS [Communicator Plugin Api]" device also refuses to work. ST says it finished the import but that no new data was found even though there is newer data on the device than in ST.

Does anyone know of a fix or a workaround to get data from a 910XT into SportTracks again?
Moriendor

Postby runs4cache » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:32 am

Maybe see if you can find an installer for the old Ant agent? I'm still using that with my 310xt and then importing the FIT file. That should be no cost, you might even have it on the CD that came with your watch when new. Alternatively, you could try the sportstrack.mobi which has a connector to import from Garmin Connect and into Sportstracks3. I've actually been using that more over the last month than the FIT import. There is a free trial so that could resolve your immediate issue while you check it out. Sporttracks mobi is definitely worth a look.
runs4cache
-PAID-
-PAID-

Postby Moriendor » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:51 am

Thanks for the suggestion but on closer examination it looks like even if this method were to work temporarily it would definitely not be a long term solution for me because there is no way that I am going to buy a $59/year mobi subscription just to get back the functionality I have had for years and years. I will try rolling back to an older version instead.

It is a pity that Garmin does not offer the option to download your activities as a *.fit file from Garmin Connect. You can only export as CSV but Sporttracks can not read that file when I try to import.

Well, I guess Garmin made this change because they no longer want people to use anything other than their Connect service. You know, BIG DATA and so on...
Nice try, Garmin. I'll make sure that my next fitness watch is not one made by Garmin then.

The 910XT has been getting on my nerves recently anyway. It always takes ages until I get a GPS signal and standing still in the cold waiting for satellites to be found is not exactly fun. I have a sneaking suspicion that Garmin might have also nerfed GPS connectivity of the 910XT via an update to get people to buy new devices.

#notamused :wink: ... oh well, I guess I will just add workouts manually to Sporttracks for now. Thanks for pointing out the mobi option though. It's interesting to know that exporting *.fit from Connect is technically possible, i.e. Garmin apparently just chooses not to offer that option for reasons... :roll:
Moriendor

Postby texmurphy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:30 am

Useful archive of Forerunner stuff at http://gawisp.com/perry/forerunner/

You could try the last version of Garmin Training Center http://gawisp.com/perry/forerunner/Trai ... er_365.exe
GTC 3.65 will read .fit v1 (not v2) and can export .tcx (not .fit).

There is also an archived version of GTC with Ant Agent http://gawisp.com/perry/forerunner/Trai ... ent232.exe
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:44 am

Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby staffann » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:31 pm

Moriendor wrote:It is a pity that Garmin does not offer the option to download your activities as a *.fit file from Garmin Connect. You can only export as CSV but Sporttracks can not read that file when I try to import.

Well, I guess Garmin made this change because they no longer want people to use anything other than their Connect service. You know, BIG DATA and so on...
Nice try, Garmin. I'll make sure that my next fitness watch is not one made by Garmin then.

Is that specific to older devices like the 910? I can manually export a fit-file generated by the 935 from garmin connect. It is downloaded as a zipped fit-file. It is not exactly convenient to have to manually download from GC, unzip and then do a file import into ST3, but I would have thought it was possible.
On the ST2Funbeat development team. Author of the Svettig (jogg.se) and Compare Planned plugins.
staffann
Donated!
Donated!

Postby runs4cache » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Not that I am any defender of Garmin Connect, but it's just not true about trying to force you to use GC only; currently I am from GC auto-syncing to Strava, ST mobi, and Endomondo and manually syncing to Smashrun. I'm sure they have others but I didn't pursue it much. You could also look into https://tapiriik.com and use their function to sync from GC to Dropbox, and then sync the dropbox folder to your desktop. I don't know what kind of file it leaves you, I would guess TCX but then you could import that file just like you used to do into ST3.
As for export file formats from GC, I have the even older 310XT and Edge 305 and GC lets me export TCX and GPX from the same menu as the CSV (which is only splits btw, not any gps position data). It also has the "Export Original", which is the fit file in zipped format referenced by earlier poster.
runs4cache
-PAID-
-PAID-

Postby Moriendor » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks again for the suggestions. While the base problem still remains (no local copy of the *fit file anymore), I have now been able to access the *fit file on Garmin Connect. It turns out that my ad-blocking software was the issue. I could not access the detail page of my activities and thus had no gear icon in the upper right corner. I disabled uBlock Origin on Garmin.com and now I can finally see the gear icon and access the zipped original *fit file.
This workaround via GC is very inconvenient, of course, but at least there is a way to get the data into ST again, albeit with many manual steps required.

Thanks again for all the advice! :)
Moriendor

Postby CHRIS BRADFIELD » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:52 am

I've found a workaround.

If you change the permissions on

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Devices\<deviceID>\Sync\FIT_TYPE_4
(change FIT_TYPE_4 to whatever's appropriate for your device e.g. FIT_TYPE_9)

so that inheritance is disabled, and the Windows user as whom you're logged in is denied delete permissions on all files in the folder, then Garmin Express will claim that there was an error synching (because it couldn't delete the file), but if you copy the file from that folder to another one and then change the extension to .FIT, you'll be able to import it into SportTracks.

e.g. on my machine, the Everyone group has full control, CREATOR OWNER has all permissions except delete and delete subfolders and files, and my own user also has all permissions except delete and delete subfolders and files.

Icacls output

MYDOMAIN\MYUSER:(OI)(CI)(DENY)(D)
Everyone:(OI)(CI)(RX,W,WDAC,WO)
MYDOMAIN\MYUSER:(RX,W,WDAC,WO)
CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX,W,WDAC,WO)
CHRIS BRADFIELD

Return to Questions