What is Your Mobi / ST3 Post-Activity Routine?

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

What is Your Mobi / ST3 Post-Activity Routine?

Postby samccauley » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:36 am

Here's what I typically do after an activity. What do you do?

1) Garmin watch syncs to Garmin Connect, which then gets pulled automatically and instantly into Mobi - love it!
2) I'll update the following in Mobi from my mobile device:
a) Gear used on the activity - usually just choosing the shoes because everything else is auto-tagged now :-)
b) Sub-Sport-Type
c) Activity Name
d) Location
3) Next time I'm at my PC, I'll open ST3 and let the sync finish - usually takes about 60 seconds
4) In ST3, I'll use the Old Man Biking Weather plugin to put weather data on the activity.
5) I'll check out the mechgt plugin Training Load in ST3, and I'll usually also look at Training Load in Mobi just for comparison - I like the mechgt plugin better, by the way.
7) Close down ST3, saving my logbook on close.
samccauley

Re: What is Your Mobi / ST3 Post-Activity Routine?

Postby admin » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:45 am

You may be interested in the updates we're making that will be released next week...
- a complete rewrite of the workout edit page to improve usability and workflow efficiency
- more "quick-edit" options in the workout details page (sport & location, along with the current name, gear, notes)

Below is the new EDIT page, which include a whole slew of fields you can edit that weren't editable before, plus features like auto-suggest for name and location, interactive pace calculation, and dynamic unit labels as you change sport type. You've also got a small "mini-map" to help you enter the location.

Get the latest info: Fan us on facebook or follow us on twitter
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ksherman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:02 pm

Well this is all getting very "smooooth" with all the improvements coming on board.
I have 2 questions though
How reliable is the mobi=>ST synch. Sometimes a save does not seem to do it and I need to close and reopen. Is that fair, or am I just being impatient?
Also it would be really nice if the post import activities that are automatic when done in St were also carried out when synch takes place. OMB Weather & Calculated fields would be the two majors for me.
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:43 am

Workouts are pulled from online when you launch ST3. Workouts are pushed from ST3 to online when you save your logbook.

None of the import routines are run in the PC app when a sync happens. Due to the nature of the synch, that would be a difficult (but not impossible) change.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tndmbkr » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:21 pm

First thing after a ride.
I race to my desktopcomputer and transfer all that precious data from my cyclecomputer into ST3.
Sitting behind my computer I enjoy my ride again, without the pain and sweat of the real ride.
I do not understand some members of this forum who want to have analyzed their data as quickly and automatized as possible.

In addition to samcccauley.
I split my activity into a nonactive part (warming up, cooling down) and an active part (including easy sections).
Then I will analyse the active part.
My favourite charts are provided by TrLoad by Mechgt, HR/Cdc/Pwr combo, LeftRight balance, TrAnalysis indices, and other charts made possible by OMB
I do not attach any value to average values of HR, Pwr, etc as calculated by ST3 core for the ride as a whole.
I prefer to analyze data per segment of my ride.

When I have done a fartlek training I will look for relevant intervals with Filtered Statistics by PissedOffCil.
I reset these intervals to StickyNotes (TrackColoringPlugin by OMB)
Unfortunately that is a lot of work. But makes the analysis of my training data very valuable.
I have to select an interval in FiltStat, spot this interval in TrAnalysis plugin, switch to StickyNotes, select the interval in TrAnalysis again, and finally add the StickyNote.

I do not use the Trails plugin as much as I would like to do.
Because I live in a flat country.
My route is determined by the wind.
The route I take one day for a Tempo ride, I take another day for aVO2max ride.
Last edited by tndmbkr on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
tndmbkr

Postby ksherman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:48 pm

Just to share
To resolve the issue re post import actions in ST3 when activities are added by Synch.
Added Custom Field called Processed
Added Calculated Fields entry to set this to 1
Added Activity Report to show all Activities where Processed is not 1
Manually run the post import actions, doing Calc Fields last.

:)
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby jhitch455 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:44 pm

@ ksherman - would you mind providing more details on your work-around using a new custom field called "Processed" to update Calculated Fields for activities that where "transferred" into ST3 from Mobi. I have several calculated fields and I'm growing very tired of having to go through the " Calculate selected row" process after every workout. Hopefully someone in Mobi development is working on making this seamless at some not to distance time.
J Hitch
jhitch455

Postby admin » Thu May 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Hopefully someone in Mobi development is working on making this seamless at some not to distance time.

The work needs to be done in the plugin; it's nothing we have control over. Sorry.

I won't hold my breath. The "Calculated Fields" plugin author hasn't commented in the forums for two years, and it hasn't been released in 5 years. That's a long time.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jhitch455 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:34 pm

Oh that's disappointing news. Are you aware of any other plugins that offer similar functionality to the Calculated Fields plugin? If there are, would they also have the same issue of not calculating or updating when new activities are brought into ST3 through Mobi vs the import function of ST3?

Thanks,
Jerry
J Hitch
jhitch455

Postby Shabs5000 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:25 am

Do any of you use the OMB Garmin pluggin as part of this process? It seems to suggest it can pull in data the Connect=>.mobi=>ST3 doesn't?

I
Shabs5000
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Questions