ST 3 - Local timezone not kept

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

ST 3 - Local timezone not kept

Postby philipshambrook » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:45 am

"For travelers, data is now stored with the local time zone. Now your workouts won't change from 09:00 to 14:00 when you fly across the globe."

Just come back from the UK. All the uploads I did while there are now showing in NZ time.

They uploaded correctly while in England, but changed on my return. Is this intended behaviour?
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Re: ST 3 - Local timezone not kept

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:06 am

philipshambrook wrote:"For travelers, data is now stored with the local time zone. Now your workouts won't change from 09:00 to 14:00 when you fly across the globe."

Just come back from the UK. All the uploads I did while there are now showing in NZ time.

They uploaded correctly while in England, but changed on my return. Is this intended behaviour?

I think it is - afaik time zone during import is remembered for the activity.
So all your activities that you imported while your PC was set to time zone XY will show in XY time forever.

If this holds true, next question would be: is this a reasonable behaviour?
Who says, that the activities that I import while my PC is set to time zone XY were really performed in time zone XY?
A rather normal user behaviour would be: record some runs with her GPS while in time zone AB, fly away to XY country, change the time zone to XY and then find the time to import all activities of the last week, including those recorded in time zone AB.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:42 pm

The ST3 change was done to make sure the time of day did not change when the activity was imported.

In ST3 the time offset when importing is saved. There is currently no way to view or change the offset though. Changing this should change the displayed time.

This could be implemented as configurable fields on the summary activity page or on an additional activity page (core ST or in a plugin).
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby admin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:23 pm

No, the time should remain as it was when you imported. If it read 8am when you imported into your logbook while your PC was set to timezone A, it should read 8am forever, no matter if your PC changes to a different timezone. It may matter how you imported? Straight from a Garmin GPS? From a TCX? FIT file?

Ignore the posts above, they seem to confuse the issue.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby philipshambrook » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:25 pm

old_man_biking wrote:
philipshambrook wrote:"For travelers, data is now stored with the local time zone. Now your workouts won't change from 09:00 to 14:00 when you fly across the globe."

I think it is - afaik time zone during import is remembered for the activity.
So all your activities that you imported while your PC was set to time zone XY will show in XY time forever.

Cheers,
OMB

That's the crux of the query. The time zone for import was UK, but the times reverted back to NZ on firing up ST3 in New Zealand. My understanding is as you state, that the timezone at import would be held, irrespective of where ST3 is opened.

My experience is that time of day does change when ST3 is opened in a different time zone to that of import.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:40 pm

My experience is that time of day does change when ST3 is opened in a different time zone to that of import.

Of ALL your workouts, or just the newly imported ones? I'm trying to figure out if this is a specific bug in the import, or something more general, which is why I asked how you imported?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby philipshambrook » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Sorry,managed to miss your post. I've not looked any further back as these were the first uploads in a different country directly to ST3. Any other data for a different country, such as Perth last year, would have come from ST2.

All the activity data for this trip was imported from .tcx files from the ANT Agent folder after 310 upload while in the UK.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby philipshambrook » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:45 pm

I had a week in Fiji a couple of weeks ago and notice that the activity times were adjusted back to local NZ time. These are the first overseas activities since visiting the UK in 2010.

Uploads were the recorded .fit files
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Weather plugin provides an action Edit:Misc:Change activity time zones to view and adjust stored time zone offsets of activities.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:54 pm

I had a week in Fiji a couple of weeks ago and notice that the activity times were adjusted back to local NZ time. These are the first overseas activities since visiting the UK in 2010.

Uploads were the recorded .fit files

FYI There is no surprise in this - data files are recorded in the watch without any indication of what the watch timezone is. Workouts are imported at the timezone of the PC they are imported to. So this is expected behavior AFAIK.

SportTracks allows you to change workout time, just edit the data in the details page.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:41 am

Yep, but there's a glitch in this, that can result in wrong time zone offsets and hence UTC times.
See viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11750&p=65710&hilit=time+zone+offset#p65710.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby froggyranita » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:45 pm

old_man_biking wrote:Weather plugin provides an action Edit:Misc:Change activity time zones to view and adjust stored time zone offsets of activities.

I confirm. This worked perfectly for me.

I did some running activities in California over the last 2 weeks, came back in Europe and then imported my data in ST 3 .
When it came to get the weather info, my activities times were off by 9 hours. With the time zone offset enabled in the plugin, the time was correct.

Regards, Pascal
froggyranita

Return to Questions