Add a Link Field?

Request an enhancement or discuss future enhancements.

Add a Link Field?

Postby alanwestwood » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:19 am

This is a ‘it would be nice’ rather than a necessity, but I was wondering whether it would be possible to have a ‘link’ field on the Summary page (or maybe to have a ‘link’ custom field). Or maybe you can do this already and I just don’t know how.

What I would appreciate is a link to be able to open another document (eg event results in Excel, pdf, or whatever) or to a website (event home page, etc). It could be a text field with a link button, for example.

Would this be difficult to code - would anyone else find this useful?

Regards to all, Alan.
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Add a Link Field?

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:26 am

I could think of a simple solution without having to wait for a ST enhancement:

You can add a link to the Notes and a plugin can provide entries in the "Edit" menu to jump to the links.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:45 am

I've links in my equipements to user manuals. Done with the epuipement plugin. :wink: There's a special field for it.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:49 am

I imagine best case what he wants is every text field (notes, location, name, custom text fields) to automatically hyperlink when something like http://blah is entered, much like here on the forums. Then you could do something like enter the URL for where you bought a particular pair of shoes, so you could click and buy them again.

However, there is no easy and quick way to do this.

A less complex solution to have a custom field type of "link" is possible. Some work but not impossible. A button would allow you to edit the link: to enter a web URL (http://) or click a browse button to pick a local file. A single click on the custom field would open the link in the online view, or possibly another browser.

Workaround:

Enter the link path in notes or any custom text field, when you want to navigate to it, copy from the text field an paste into your browser address bar.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:40 am

Quick solution in a plugin of mine - just as sketched a few posts above.
Please scroll down the image to see the essential part.
Hyperlinks.PNG
Hyperlinks.PNG (91.23 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks Admin. I don't think I need to be able to jump to a link in any field, though. Actually, I like the idea of letting a link be added as a custom field, because then we can add one or several as we wish, and those not interested can just ignore the facility without adding unnecessary clutter to their Summary screen.

Thanks also OMB. I'll try the Equipment plugin to see if I can do want I want without adding too much (for me) Equipment clutter - I don't monitor equipment, so I don't even use the ST3 basic functions, let alone need a plugin.

Regards, Alan.
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi Alan,

the Equipment plugin isn't what you look for. It provides exactly what your asked for - but only for equipment items.

My last post refers to my Activity Documentation plugin.
I've just added the "Go to link" action to it. If you want a beta, send me a PM with your email.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:56 am

Received the beta - it works a treat :D

Have paid for AD, received an invoice, activated, running with no problems. Having loaded AD I realise that this can be done within the plugin notes page, but the quick link to the ST3 Summary notes is more useful in one important respect - I can update previous activities using Edit-Summary Information.

Highly recommend this feature to anyone else who wants to keep quick links to such things as race information, etc.

Thanks again.
Regards, Alan.
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby DavidCHall » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:46 am

admin wrote:I imagine best case what he wants is every text field (notes, location, name, custom text fields) to automatically hyperlink when something like http://blah is entered, much like here on the forums. Then you could do something like enter the URL for where you bought a particular pair of shoes, so you could click and buy them again.

As a workible solution: The strings http://* ftp://* mail://* file://* in the ST3 Activity Notes field should highlight and hyperlink.
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:08 am

Yes, David, that would suit me fine as well.

To be honest, OMBs Activity Documentation is a bit of an overkill for me, though it works perfectly. It has custom fields and text formatting, but I'm quite happy with the ST3 custom fields and not worried about formatting my text. It probably offers even more if I look further, but actually all I would like is exactly what you have suggested.

Regards, Alan.
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:01 am

Conveniently, DCH ended his quote of my reply one sentence before he should have. :wink:
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DavidCHall » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:09 pm

admin wrote:Conveniently, DCH ended his quote of my reply one sentence before he should have. :wink:

Oh, sorry: I wasn't making an attempt to misquote you. I'm not suggesting I wouldn't if doing this served my point of view, I just wasn't employing such a tactic on this occasion. 8)

I had an idea that applying the idea ONLY to the Notes field made things simpler: Evidently not.
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Enhancements