by atg9905

Downloads: 2,816 (1) • Reviews: 0

Version:

Updated:

Oct 9, 2010

Suunto Import Plugin for ST3

Postby sweat_chocolate » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:15 pm

I think there are a lot of Sunnto T6 Fans using this plugin for ST2.

Now i upgrated to ST3, and it would be nice, if this plugin is available for the future.

I`ll wait for it ..... :)
sweat_chocolate
Donated!
Donated!

Postby martin.gudmand » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:30 am

I agree. I recently bought ST3, but currently stick to ST2.1 since I cannot easily get my Suunto T6 logs into ST3.

(I sometimes open my ST2 logs with ST3 and enjoy the improved interface, but for daily use that simply takes too many mouse clicks and wastes time :( )

Would it be possible to get direct access to the watch from ST3; i.e. possible to download logs directly from the HRM/watch and into ST3. That would be so nice 8) !?
martin.gudmand

Postby sweat_chocolate » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:42 pm

Getting direct access to the T6 watch, might be the next step in programming.

Because Suunto stopped the development and support for the Training Manager.

Suunto started in May/June the new Software www.movescount.com, and that means, you can only upload your datas. There`s no way to have the datas stored on the computer. I don`t like this :(

But first I`m waiting for the Suunto Import Plugin for ST3.
sweat_chocolate
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Suunto started in May/June the new Software www.movescount.com, and that means, you can only upload your datas. There`s no way to have the datas stored on the computer.

Many of the vendors are going this way - Nike, Addidas, etc.
Benefit to the user: it's easy, just happens, web access "anywhere"
Benefit to Suunto: you are locked in to use their watches "forever"

I personally see the bigger benefit on the company side :?

If you care about doing advanced kinds of analysis on your data, I would very carefully about picking a watch maker that is doing this and doesn't have an open API like Garmin.

My 0.02, of course.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sweat_chocolate » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:01 am

I agree, and for me personally, none of the user benefits you described is important for me.
So the benefits are all on the company side, and i think, i must use ST forever :wink:
sweat_chocolate
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:49 am

GPS Babel plugin supports Suunto .sdf files.

Don't know if this format is used on all Suunto devices but probably can be exported from Suunto software.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby DeadManMac » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:14 pm

I have a working (slightly buggy) plugin that imports directly from T6c to SportTracks 2.1 Once I get access to the version 3 API, I can update it and make it a little more stable. Then I can release it. I'll keep you guys posted.
DeadManMac
Donated!
Donated!

Postby martin.gudmand » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:46 pm

That would be nothing less than fantastic :D

Let me know if you need beta testers!?
martin.gudmand

Postby sweat_chocolate » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Aah, very good news !! That makes the import much more comfortable in the future.
sweat_chocolate
Donated!
Donated!

Postby sweat_chocolate » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:28 am

DeadManMac wrote:I have a working (slightly buggy) plugin that imports directly from T6c to SportTracks 2.1

Is there a possibility to show the EPOC Level from Suunto in ST2.1 and later on in ST3 by using the directly import from the watch?

At the moment the EPOC Level is shown in the Power Field in ST.
sweat_chocolate
Donated!
Donated!

Postby martin.gudmand » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:01 am

...And as discussed elsewhere; import of R-R data would also be highly desirable.
martin.gudmand

Postby hill » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:36 pm

DeadManMac wrote:I have a working (slightly buggy) plugin that imports directly from T6c to SportTracks 2.1 Once I get access to the version 3 API, I can update it and make it a little more stable. Then I can release it. I'll keep you guys posted.

:o that's FANTASTIC
hill

Postby atg9905 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:40 am

Hi all,

the ST3 version of the STE import plugin is now available in the plugin catalogue.

Wrt other ways of importing the data (direct download), my main concern is that you loose the R-R analysis in Training Manager. Of course, if at some point in time there will be an R-R analysis plugin in ST3 this would be great.
atg9905

Postby atg9905 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:41 am

Hi all,

the ST3 version of the STE import plugin is now available in the plugin catalogue.

Wrt other ways of importing the data (direct download), my main concern is that you loose the R-R analysis in Training Manager. Of course, if at some point in time there will be an R-R analysis plugin in ST3 this would be great.
atg9905

Postby martin.gudmand » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:54 am

Excellent. Finally I can switch from ST2 to ST3 :D

Do you have any plans to make to plugin also import R-R data?
martin.gudmand

Postby atg9905 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:15 am

> Do you have any plans to make to plugin also import R-R data?

I can read the data, no problem. But as raw R-R data is hard to interpret directly, and there is no good data item in ST3 to store it, I only import the EPOC values, which are the results of STRAM analyzing the R-R data.

If anyone volunteers to write an R-R analyzer for ST3 that would be great :wink:
atg9905

Postby camel » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:22 am

I can imagine that if you will store data as csv in custom field.

I don't know how big is limit for text in custom field :(

Than perhaps some user can request or create feature for analyzing of data in Calculated Fields plugin.

But that's only fantasy ;)
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:28 pm

atg9905 wrote: there is no good data item in ST3 to store it

You can store any data as extensions in both ST2 and ST3, but you have to define the storage format yourself. Other plugins must use the same definitions. Also, to see the data (i.e. in a graph) you need to implement that separately (at least to switch the "custom" and a standard track as Power is used for EPOC).

admin has said that custom tracks are planned for custom fields, maybe chart-able too.

Still, a R-R analyzer is needed...
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby atg9905 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Storing the R-R data somewhere is possible: as Gerhard says, there will be custom track data sometime in the future (low priority at the moment, though), or one can define extension data. However, until there is someone who will do an R-R analysis I will not go through the effort. And R-R analysis is not trivial (on the first beat site there are some white papers), or see here:

http://www.physionet.org/tutorials/hrv/

Ah, also found the phd thesis on rr analysis:
Neural networks for heart rate time series analysis
https://jyx.jyu.fi/dspace/bitstream/han ... sequence=1
atg9905

Postby DeadManMac » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:42 pm

The Suunto device plugin that I am working on does indeed import EPOC and R-R information directly off the device. I have now updated it for SportTracks 3. The only thing I'm waiting for now, is a way to store the data in custom data tracks. The way I do it right now is as camel suggested, comma delimited in a custom field. I'd rather not release this plugin until custom data tracks are available, though, as there may be some issues when I make the change from csv text to custom data track.

If anyone wants to test out the plugin, let me know. I can't make any promises that your EPOC or R-R data will never be erased by a future version of the plugin though. All the regular workout data will be safe.
DeadManMac
Donated!
Donated!

Postby atg9905 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:02 am

DeadManMac wrote:The Suunto device plugin that I am working on does indeed import EPOC and R-R information directly off the device.

I guess you talk about t6c or t6d, as they do the rr analysis in the device. Old t6 do only have rr data stored in the device, EPOC data has to be created using STRAM. But this sounds like a good reason to finally upgrade my reliable t6 (now over 5 years in service :o).

DeadManMac wrote:I have now updated it for SportTracks 3. The only thing I'm waiting for now, is a way to store the data in custom data tracks. The way I do it right now is as camel suggested, comma delimited in a custom field. I'd rather not release this plugin until custom data tracks are available, though, as there may be some issues when I make the change from csv text to custom data track.

I talked with admin about this. He suggested to include a tag in the extension data, so I can later migrate data stored in the old way to the new way.

DeadManMac wrote:If anyone wants to test out the plugin, let me know. I can't make any promises that your EPOC or R-R data will never be erased by a future version of the plugin though. All the regular workout data will be safe.

If you like I can test it with my old t6. Send me a private message.
atg9905

Postby DeadManMac » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:25 pm

If anyone else would like to try my Suunto T6 importer, please PM me. I have a beta version ready for testing.

It will import all the data on your T6C including R-R intervals and will also let you look at a plot of R-R intervals alongside the HR data.

Looking forward to your feedback.
DeadManMac
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Suunto Import Plugin for ST3

Postby shmish » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:46 am

Hi
I downloaded your plugin and installed it. However, I don't know how it is supposed to be used or accessed? I load ST3 and have my t6 watch connected. But I don't see where a person goes to download data. I've never directly connected a watch to ST3 before so I don't know what is supposed to be done.
thanks
shmish

Return to Suunto STE Import