new column data for stride lenght

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

new column data for stride lenght

Beitragvon mazoaguirre » Fr Jun 26, 2009 2:06 pm

i think this data will be usable for run, and i think is the same aproach to bike, but not stride just distance per cranck (i think)

is this possible?

i search but not found any similar
FR 310 and Foot Pod, Edge 500 and Cadence Sensor, GoPro HD 960
mazoaguirre.com
mazoaguirre
Contributor!
Contributor!

Beitragvon ridera » Mo Nov 09, 2009 12:13 pm

This feature is highly desirable.

Runners speed is primarily determined by the stride length, since our cadence [~88-90 spm]is essentially the same regardless of speed.

As we train to run faster, increasing stride length is the primary goal.
ridera
Donated!
Donated!

Beitragvon mechgt » Mo Nov 09, 2009 1:31 pm

If your cadence is assumed to be the same, then wouldn't this just your speed track with a different units label?
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Beitragvon ridera » Mo Nov 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Not really.

We think of stride length in terms of feet.dec e.g. 4.30ft, or meters

If we can train to improve our stride length to 4.50ft, that translates to almost a 5% improvement in racing time. e.g., 40:00min 10K at 4.3sl to 38:13min. at 4.5sl

The footpods, e.g., the FR60, provides the tools to measure stride length, GPS devices don't.
ridera
Donated!
Donated!

Beitragvon mechgt » Mo Nov 09, 2009 2:34 pm

So really stride and cadence vary, neither can be assumed constant, but both are recorded (in 1 way or another) by the footpod. Seems like a neat idea for someone to investigate.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Beitragvon admin » Mo Nov 09, 2009 2:48 pm

As we train to run faster, increasing stride length is the primary goal.

Actually I think you have that flipped around.

As you train by increasing your stride length, the goal is to run faster. The key is that, I don't think they award race medals based on stride length, but they most certainly do based on speed.

If as you say cadence is constant, I don't see how seeing this measurement is superior to seeing speed? Since by your argument, stride length would be derived from speed and cadence, they are equivalent? :?:

That said, maybe there is some research or training techniques that would use stride length, and the "common athlete" never had access to the data, before now. With a speed & cadence track, it should in theory be possible to create a stride length chart over time for the activity.

I wonder also if you could account for grade to come up with a "neutral" (flat earth) calibrated number.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beitragvon ridera » Mo Nov 09, 2009 4:02 pm

Tomorrow, I'll have some time and will go into more depth on the subject.

The FR60, and I assume the FR50, records actual steps for the run. So, one can readily and accurately calculate the stride length, given the actual distance [e.g., a 10K race on a certified course], even if the pod distance is not is not calibrated.

Al....
ridera
Donated!
Donated!

Beitragvon DavidCHall » So Nov 15, 2009 1:31 am

In the running world the footpod will give you Speed (km/hr) and Cadence (steps per minute).

To derive stride length at each point in your activity one would use the formulae:

16.66 * Speed(km/h) / Cadence(Step/min)

If you were to do this for your activity, using both sets of track data (speed, cadence), you would in theory have the data you want: A data track showing stride length. (Which should provide for information than the average stride length for the whole activity)

In practice both sets of input data are not well syncronised, and are subject to smoothing effects, so the output track is likely to be messy: maybe too messy to be useful, maybe not: The only way to tell is to see what a few test activities look like.

If anybody has an activity or two recorded with a footpod I would be happy to create a "stride" track (which I would save in the power track) and you can study the effect. Please PM and I will provide you with an email address.

In the cycling world the concept a "Gear" is similar: Derived from your speed and cadence this should give your gear ratio selected: In practice the data is to messy to give a clear track of selected gear, but applied to a distrbutuion curve one can get an idea of the favoured ratios.
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Beitragvon ridera » So Nov 15, 2009 12:33 pm

The FR60 records total actual steps, thus it is precise.

If one runs a precise course, e.g., a precisely measured track or a certified race course, then the distance is precise.

Thus, stride-length= distance/steps is very precise, and the preferred method.

Speed and cadence are derived values and are therefore not too accurate. Obviously, average cadence is pretty good. Speed not too accurate.
ridera
Donated!
Donated!

Beitragvon DavidCHall » Mo Nov 16, 2009 11:05 am

Have a look here. Download the Gear Plugin here.

And you have the required solution!!!

Leave the settings page blank for your running equipment used, and display raw data rather than selected Gear: You should have a graph that displays stride.

Based on sample data (thanks to the forum member that kindly donated this) you should be able to get a graph something like this: (m/Rev is effectively m/Stride)

Bild

Problem solved!!!!! Isn't ST amazing?
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Beitragvon mazoaguirre » Mo Nov 16, 2009 12:25 pm

thanks david, it display the raw data, but will be wonderful if we can to see avgs for distances, i mean if a am doing 400`s or 1200`s the stride coudl be diferent length?

i discovered that that my stride length in a steady run flat is aroun 2.16 mts in moderate up hill is 2.00 or les depends on the grade, but that numbers a get is in the excel spreadsheet

i hope some skilled programer take a look at, and surprise us

8)
FR 310 and Foot Pod, Edge 500 and Cadence Sensor, GoPro HD 960
mazoaguirre.com
mazoaguirre
Contributor!
Contributor!

Beitragvon ridera » Mo Nov 16, 2009 3:56 pm

Plus, I can't find a way to show SL in feet or inches, which are common in the USA.

Actually, I haven't found a way to show SL and cadence verses time. Which is what we need.
ridera
Donated!
Donated!

Beitragvon mechgt » Mo Nov 16, 2009 4:21 pm

ridera hat geschrieben:Plus, I can't find a way to show SL in feet or inches, which are common in the USA.

Actually, I haven't found a way to show SL and cadence verses time. Which is what we need.

Changes will need to be made to the plugin in order to convert units (meters, feet, yards, etc.), but you can in fact see all of this over time. Screenshot below is from biking (I don't have a footpod) but the concepts are the same. Have you tried this? Minus the units and some labels (the fact that is says 'Gear' instead of 'Stride'), it looks like this might be exactly what you're asking for.

EDIT: Actually DCH's screenshot above shows it better than mine.

Bild
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Beitragvon DavidCHall » Mo Nov 16, 2009 10:21 pm

mechgt hat geschrieben:Minus the units and some labels (the fact that is says 'Gear' instead of 'Stride'), it looks like this might be exactly what you're asking for.

This is almost exactly what you are looking for, and already provides most (all?) of the data value. you might want.

The only thing that might be more relevant in the running world (and less relevant in the cycling world) is to show (on the graph, tables, or both) the average stride/gear over a given interval (section, hill, whatever), which would probably have to equate to the average stride/grar over a lap in ST terms.

The units issue in minor, cosmetic, and really just a nice to have.
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Beitragvon Stumpjumper68 » Di Nov 17, 2009 6:25 am

The only thing that might be more relevant in the running world (and less relevant in the cycling world) is to show (on the graph, tables, or both) the average stride/gear over a given interval (section, hill, whatever), which would probably have to equate to the average stride/grar over a lap in ST terms.

This could be done with filtered statistics. :wink:
Bild
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Zurück zu Questions