Uploading routes to Forerunner 405

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Uploading routes to Forerunner 405

Postby tjinaus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:20 am

Hi Guys

I've been searching the FAQs and Google, but cannot find an answer to my query.

I am new to the world of Forerunners. I managed to create two courses on ST.

It appears that I cannot upload more than one course on my Forerunner 405.

The first course uploaded correctly, but was replaced by the second course when I performed the second upload. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
tjinaus

Postby gerhard » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:34 am

It is the Garmin Communicator that works like this for the GF405, but not for other devices.

It is quite difficult to get around this bug
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby tjinaus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:41 am

Thanks Gerhard. I'll play around to see if I can use the Garmin Training Center for my uploads.

Regards
tjinaus

Postby markw65 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:52 pm

tjinaus wrote:Thanks Gerhard. I'll play around to see if I can use the Garmin Training Center for my uploads.

Regards

I dont have a 405, so I cant test it... but you can use the Apply Routes Plugin to upload courses via Garmin Communicator.

If there's a Communicator bug (as gerhard is saying), then it will affect AR too. But AR will allow you to download multiple routes simultaneously - so at least you could send your two routes at once and get them both to the watch.

To do this in AR, select the activities you want to send, choose "Send <n> Activities to Routes View", select one of the google map views, and then click the white cross on a blue background at the top center of the map. A table of activities will appear. You can select the ones you want and click export to get the communicator window up.

Note that the "Show" checkboxes determine which activities are visible on the map, and in the graphs, but its the selected (ie hilited) rows that get exported. Shift or ctrl click on the rows (not the checkboxes) to select/deselect.

Mark
markw65
Donated!
Donated!

Postby tjinaus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi Mark

Thank you for your reply, I will download the plugin and follow your suggestion. Will post the result.

Regards,

TJ
tjinaus

Postby tjinaus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:13 pm

Hi Mark - I managed to follow everything up to the point of exporting my two courses. I clicked on the export link, but nothing appears to be happening?

Not sure if this info will mean anything:

The Export icon apears as follows: Export>

The properties are:

Protocol: Unknown Protocol
Type: Not Available
Address (URL): javascript{}

Thanks for your help on this. TJ[/img][/url][/quote]
tjinaus

Postby markw65 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:29 pm

tjinaus wrote:Hi Mark - I managed to follow everything up to the point of exporting my two courses. I clicked on the export link, but nothing appears to be happening?

Not sure if this info will mean anything:

The Export icon apears as follows: Export>

The properties are:

Protocol: Unknown Protocol
Type: Not Available
Address (URL): javascript{}

Thanks for your help on this. TJ

Did you select the workouts (eg ctrl-click on each row in the table)?

The "export>" link should initially be gray and inactive (before you select the workouts).

Once you select one or more rows in the table, it should turn light blue, and become active. Are you seeing that?

Note again (and I realize that this is somewhat unintuitive) that the checkboxes refer to whether the routes appear on the map, whereas the selected rows determine what gets exported.

Mark
markw65
Donated!
Donated!

Postby peho » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:24 pm

I've had the same question and was happy to see your answer.
Yes, it's working for me with my FR405 and AR.
/Peter
peho
Donated!
Donated!

Getting a microsoft script error

Postby cbenson33 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:27 am

I'm able to get all the way up to the export, when I try and export three routes I get a microsoft script error and it tries to get me to debug it.
cbenson33
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Uploading routes to Forerunner 405

Postby iacchos » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:31 am

tjinaus wrote:Hi Guys

The first course uploaded correctly, but was replaced by the second course when I performed the second upload. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Hello,

I've the same pb :( I use to create route from scratch directly from ST.

The facts :
- GTC can upload more than one route to Garmin devices (405cx in may case), but not able to select the ones to export
- ST is able to only export one route (I confirm) : in routes view, you are not able to select more than one route. More over, only export (upload) to device is availble (not to file)... If you upload another route the previous one is deleted from the Garmin device :?
- Apply Route : could be THE response, but the export is not functionnal = nothing happens when "Export" is selected (after selection of my route, highlighted in blue in the list), as mentioned above...

As ST is not able to export each route to file, the solution to use GTC like a "gateway" is impossible :-(

In conclusion, I am not able to have more than one route in my 405cx, which is a real limitation :twisted:
No idea about a workaround ? A possible evolution of ST planned ??

NB : I have all the last version of this tools....

Thanks in advance
BR

--Christophe
iacchos

Postby markw65 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:28 am

iacchos wrote:
tjinaus wrote:Hi Guys

Thanks!

Hello,

I've the same pb :( I use to create route from scratch directly from ST.

The facts :
- GTC can upload more than one route to Garmin devices (405cx in may case), but not able to select the ones to export
- ST is able to only export one route (I confirm) : in routes view, you are not able to select more than one route. More over, only export (upload) to device is availble (not to file)... If you upload another route the previous one is deleted from the Garmin device :?
- Apply Route : could be THE response, but the export is not functionnal = nothing happens when "Export" is selected (after selection of my route, highlighted in blue in the list), as mentioned above...

What exactly do you mean by "nothing happens" when you press export? Do you mean you cant even get to the garmin communicator dialog? Or that once there, it wont let you export?

(Both steps are working for me)

Just to reconfirm - you have clicked on the row(s) you want to export, and the word "Export>" has turned light blue (from gray)?

Mark
markw65
Donated!
Donated!

Postby iacchos » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:37 pm

Just to reconfirm - you have clicked on the row(s) you want to export, and the word "Export>" has turned light blue (from gray)?

Yes !! I highlighted the routes with the mouse (shit) from the "AR - Routes" view (not the check boxes)

What exactly do you mean by "nothing happens" when you press export? Do you mean you cant even get to the garmin communicator dialog? Or that once there, it wont let you export?

(Both steps are working for me)

It's happened nothing !! I have no feedback, no message. I checked the Garmin AMT Agent, nothing was transmitted to the FR405cx...

Anay idea ??

By the way, I do not understand one thing : I created routes from scratch (from ST user interface). So no information but the distance appears in the list of the routes. How AR is able to determine a pace (and so duration) ? When uploading a route whith standard ST function, a pace is requiered (via a dedicated dialog box just afetr selecting the "export" functionnality) ??

BR
iacchos

Postby markw65 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:11 pm

iacchos wrote:By the way, I do not understand one thing : I created routes from scratch (from ST user interface). So no information but the distance appears in the list of the routes. How AR is able to determine a pace (and so duration) ? When uploading a route whith standard ST function, a pace is requiered (via a dedicated dialog box just afetr selecting the "export" functionnality) ??

Well I think I understand now (although I'll need to look at the code again later to confirm).

Although you can send routes to the AR Routes panel, I dont think you can export them. Its an oversight that could easily be fixed.

The solution is to create an activity from the route (fortunately AR will do that for you :-) ), send the activity to the routes view and then export that.

To create the activity from the route, just create a new activity, set the time, and then use "AR - Apply Route".

For your last question the way AR handles the pace is similar to the way ST does: another dialog will pop up with the names and times of the selected activities. You can then edit both the name and time before sending it to the watch.

Mark
markw65
Donated!
Donated!

Postby iacchos » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:38 am

Mark

OK, understood, I was trying to send "empty" routes, not via a activity. Now I have the Export Course dialog box :) My FR405Cx is founded, I can type duration... but have an error on writing : "Error: File Path: String Stream, line: 2, char: 1040 Message: invalid character encountered" :twisted:

Could you help me ??

Nevertheless this workaround is a bit complicated (if it will work...) !!
Two remarks (considering creating routes from scratsh = to prepare a first run in an unknown place !!) :
- the process to have to create an "dummy" activity is not at all optimum
- why to permit to send a route from Routes view (Edit route/AR-Send one activity To Routes View) if "empty routes" are not supported ?

In conclusion, if AR could manage export of multiple "empty routes" whithout to have to create dummy activities, it could be great 8)
But ST could also be enhanced to export more than one route a time, because it already known to manage empty routes...

Thanks in advance for your help

BR
-Christophe
iacchos

Postby markw65 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:57 am

iacchos wrote:Mark

OK, understood, I was trying to send "empty" routes, not via a activity. Now I have the Export Course dialog box :) My FR405Cx is founded, I can type duration... but have an error on writing : "Error: File Path: String Stream, line: 2, char: 1040 Message: invalid character encountered" :twisted:

Could you help me ??

Not really sure... Could it be non-ascii characters in the name of the activity? (I dont actually know if thats a problem or not).

Nevertheless this workaround is a bit complicated (if it will work...) !!
Two remarks (considering creating routes from scratsh = to prepare a first run in an unknown place !!) :
- the process to have to create an "dummy" activity is not at all optimum
- why to permit to send a route from Routes view (Edit route/AR-Send one activity To Routes View) if "empty routes" are not supported ?

In conclusion, if AR could manage export of multiple "empty routes" whithout to have to create dummy activities, it could be great 8)
But ST could also be enhanced to export more than one route a time, because it already known to manage empty routes...

So actually, I think I was wrong. You /can/ send routes that came from the routes view. The problem is with data tracks that have no time information.

The problem is that rather than set a constant pace on the exported route (as ST does), it scales the existing pace to the specified time. But if there is no pace information this fails (it actually ends up with a divide by zero error).

I'll put in a fix next time I make an update...

And yes, I realize the whole thing is a bit cumbersome :-)

Mark
markw65
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:31 pm

markw65 wrote:So actually, I think I was wrong. You /can/ send routes that came from the routes view. The problem is with data tracks that have no time information.

You can use MiscPlugin to set the time on the GPS points, but there is no configuration, always 60 min.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby markw65 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:49 pm

gerhard wrote:
markw65 wrote:So actually, I think I was wrong. You /can/ send routes that came from the routes view. The problem is with data tracks that have no time information.

You can use MiscPlugin to set the time on the GPS points, but there is no configuration, always 60 min.

Then thats should be a good workaround for now. You can set the time in AR's export, and as long as there's /some/ time info, the scaling algorithm will work.

Mark
markw65
Donated!
Donated!

Postby markw65 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:51 pm

iacchos wrote: "Error: File Path: String Stream, line: 2, char: 1040 Message: invalid character encountered" :twisted:

Could you help me ??

If my previous suggestion didnt work, can you send me the fitlog, and I'll see if I can reproduce the error here?

Mark
markw65
Donated!
Donated!

Postby markw65 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:07 pm

markw65 wrote:
iacchos wrote: "Error: File Path: String Stream, line: 2, char: 1040 Message: invalid character encountered" :twisted:

Could you help me ??

So I think this was to do with the garmin update. I've updated the website, and I think it should work now.

Note I've also fixed the other issues (exporting from the Routes view, and exporting tracks with no time/pace).

See http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Forums/viewtopic.php?p=33935#33935 for full details.

Mark
markw65
Donated!
Donated!

A workaround for route export to FR405

Postby bueffel » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:50 pm

As has been stated before, you can not select more than one route in the ST routes view to be exported to the FR405 device at a time.

When exporting a route and then exporting the next route, the previous one will be deleted.

What happens is: ST writes the route data to the folder "C:\Users\#USERNAME#\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\#DEVICENUMBER#\Courses"
(#username# and #devicenumber# to be replaced..., it's for vista, I don't know the path for XP).

When writing the next route, all data in the folder will be deleted.
The ant agent transfers the contents of this folder to the FR device, clearing all routes on the device.
This is why we only get one route from ST to the 405 doing it the "normal way".

So here's the workaround I used to get all my routes to my 405:
1) remove the ant agent stick, so transfer cannot start before everything is prepared.
2) export the first route from ST routes view.
3) you'll find the correspondig TCX file in the courses folder. Move it to some other folder of your choice.
4) export the next route and move it.
5) go on for all routes.
6) when done, move all files back to the COURSES folder
7) insert ant agent stick and transfer.

A second method would be to write-protect the files in the COURSES folder instead of moving them to a save place.
bueffel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby iacchos » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:26 pm

Very nice 8) 8)

That's exactly the type of workaround I was waiting for (the workaround with AR is too complex) :)

Moreover, it seems to show that this feature is clearly a limitation of ST, not a limitation of Garmin Communicator, because if multi-select of routes was possible in Routes view before export and then write of all files corresponding, it will be enough to fix this point :wink:

Thanks a lot !!

PS : for XP, the correct path is :
C:\Documents and Settings\#USERNAME#\Application Data\GARMIN\Devices\#DEVICENUMBER#\Courses

BR
-- Christophe
iacchos

Postby Clockworkwar » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:13 am

I have just had a 405 for Christmas and this course thing is bugging me, that you can only upload one at a time.

I see that this page was last used in 2009 and wonder if there is any better way of putting multiple courses on the watch now?
Clockworkwar

Postby Clockworkwar » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:24 am

I have managed to do it the long way round btw
Clockworkwar

Return to Questions