Year to date totals in Daily Activities?

Post a question about the software or find answers here.

Year to date totals in Daily Activities?

Postby Tri ing » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:09 pm

Just wondering if there was a way in the Daily Activities screen to have year to date totals at the bottom along with "this week/last week/this month/:?
It would be nice to easily view here..

Thank you for any help.
Tri ing

Re: Year to date totals in Daily Activities?

Postby HENNES » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:37 am

Tri ing wrote:Just wondering if there was a way in the Daily Activities screen to have year to date totals at the bottom along with "this week/last week/this month/:?

Thank you for any help.

Im using the following workaround: I have the "year 2008" and "my FR 305" defined as standard equipment which gets assigned automaticly to each entry. So I can see those numbers besides the shoe of the activity

Using "applied routes" plugin you can adjust old entries very easy and start from 01/01/08 if you want within minutes.

Maybe there is another solution, but this works fine for me.
Last edited by HENNES on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgds hennes
- kickbiking with FR 305 and STs 3

runner´s map ... EURE Karte für Laufveranstaltungen - zum MITMACHEN!!!
http://www.runnersmap.info
...mehr als DREI TAUSEND Laufveranstaltungen!
HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby 7270martin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:00 pm

Thanks Hennes for this one! Nice to have the yearly total at one glance!

ST suprises me again and again!

Martin
7270martin
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:05 pm

7270martin wrote:Thanks Hennes for this one! Nice to have the yearly total at one glance!

ST suprises me again and again!

...and me! :-)

The best: I only got that idea yesterday and got it done within minutes - so you asked right in time...
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:24 am

What a good idea - thanks Hennes.
Regards, Alan.
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:43 am

This tip also lets you get a quick graph of accumulated miles for the year, or for previous years, in the equipment view (select history instead of photo). Thank goodness for the wonderful Apply Routes plugin, which made updating my log for all the separate the years back to 1994 just a simple task.
Regards, Alan.
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:19 am

I just added a new counter for total-km since I started running 3 years ago.

Unfortunately the equipement is limited to one line and starts to cut of the boxes. Without the icon, there is more space, but maybe that can be changed for future versions, when people/admin realizes how interesting this "feature" can be used.

This gives unlimited ideas to try per automatic assignement for each enty:

e.g.
distance in "summer"
distance in 2nd half year
distance since x

...also could show the time instead of distance!

...or selecting per entry sth like

distance of runs over 30km
distance of runs in the morning
distance of runs on route XYZ
distance of runs with average speed, heartrate etc.

...also using the "life of equipment", one could see in the equipments window the distance to go to meet a target - like annual KM etc.

Lots can be done in activityreport, but I think this here is more convinient as to get a quick glance at things youre are frequent interested on one page per new entry.

More ideas?
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tri ing » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:27 pm

Thank you very much for the fantastic idea. I have incorperated it into my ST log. Tips like this are fantastic.
Thanks again
DM
Tri ing

Postby philipshambrook » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:21 am

Excuse me for being a bit dim, but I can't for the life of me see how to get this done. I've managed to get a foreunner to show up with shoes, but can't get beyond that. :?:
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:18 am

philipshambrook wrote:Excuse me for being a bit dim, but I can't for the life of me see how to get this done. I've managed to get a foreunner to show up with shoes, but can't get beyond that. :?:

Dont worry - this is real easy: even I got it done!

Go to equipment
add a new eqipment: add item (I have the german version, so you will see different wording)

bottom left:

This should be self-explanatory:

Hit that magic triangle in the top right of that window and change to "import settings"

Mark those activities which you want to be counted in future. As I only do running, I use "my activities". From now on, this will automaticly attach this "equipment" to every new entry in that category you choosen. Basicly starting to clock from zero...

...not to forget to explain the Forerunner logo you seen in my image, which may be confusing. Its just an icon, aswell as the "08" stands for 2008 and the "runner" stands for total running.

You can attach it in that dialogue - but you dont have to and might save space.

Finally, go to the screen on the right and switch to history - you can see the development of distance over time. You will see zero - as you just started at zero

Ok, as you probably want to know "whats the distance sofar in 2008" (or whatever in the past", we need to get the previous distance into "the machine".

2 ways:

1. go to activityreport. Adjust the filter to show you only the number for 2008 which you want, go back to the equipment page you just been and add that number and your done. From now on each entry will have the new distance + that previous one to the "annual 2008" number or whatever brilliant idea you will come up with and will let us know :lol:

My field is blank, as I use method #2

2. alternative: use the applied routes plugin. Same procedure with the activity report to find the matching entries. Highlight all entries you want.

Go to the main page edit activity look for AR - update history. If you dont find it, you need to activate that first in the plugin-settings. If you see it, hit it and then there is a pop up window - remember that dialgue is now active for all highlighted activities in the activity report - update equipment now "attaches" that new equipment you just designed to those entries in the past as you had that brilliant idea before year start already. Note: depending on the number of activities your screen might freeze for couple of minutes but will be back!

Thats it.

Could look like that

shoe --- annual distance 2008 --- total for the FR 305 --- total since started running 3 years ago

Hopefully nobody fallen asleep on this lengthy rambling. Any questions, please ask!

Open to many more ideas!
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby showDown » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:47 am

Great job Hennes - link this thread directly to the FAQ section!

regards,
Heiko
Navigate this Live WEB cam
of the historical village Stade
With some luck you see a
300m+ container ship here
on the Elbe near Krautsand
showDown
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:38 am

showDown wrote:Great job Hennes

Heiko, it were your instructions in a different thread, which lead me to explore that way - so your guilty, too! :evil:

showDown wrote:link this thread directly to the FAQ section!

regards,
Heiko

Actually I thought about that yesterday when I saw some other explanations. Obviously most people are shy to type stories and essays into the FAQ (at least due to the work), but if we would just drop "a question" and the link to that answer, the FAQ would fill up quiet quicky and that would be in our all interest! :D

Lets go! 8)
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:42 am

Ok, I just wanted to start this subject in the FAQ - and its not allowed: only moderators can start subject.

Pity! I think this should be changed!

I PMed clackerz and see what he says...
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Year to date totals in Daily Activities?

Postby Running Wolf » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:40 am

HENNES wrote:
Tri ing wrote:Just wondering if there was a way in the Daily Activities screen to have year to date totals at the bottom along with "this week/last week/this month/:?

Thank you for any help.

Im using the following workaround: I have the "year 2008" and "my FR 305" defined as standard equipment which gets assigned automaticly to each entry. So I can see those numbers besides the shoe of the activity

Hello,

This is a workaround but still, wouldn't it be better to have at least the basic ones (e.g. summaries for quarter, half year, year) in the standard? It might not be that complicated for the developers.

Thanks for your thoughts............
Running Wolf
Donated!
Donated!

Postby davef » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:01 am

Hennes,
Thanks for the very clear instructions on how to make this great idea work. I had been trying to set and monitor goals - the training plugin was more advanced than I wanted, but using the expected life as the goal will do for me. Its a pity that the expected life does not show on the accumilated mileage graph but...
davef
Donated!
Donated!

Postby WG1968 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:26 am

Just a comment:

in the activity reports just one klick away you have all the possibilities - in my personal opinion the daily activity is called daily activity because it is the daily activity!
When I´m interested in other calculations, i use the activity reports. I personally won´t like additional lines stealing the space from the "more" important daily fields. :oops:
WG1968
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:15 am

I agree that I don't particularly want any more daily activity table summary lines - but in fact you can easily adjust the window sizes to cover up the ones you don't want to see, so I don't mind if more are added. The big advantage to me of Hennes workaround is that I am not interested in keeping an equipment log, but now I can use this space for things I do find useful, such as year to date and even previous year(s) accumulated totals.

Thats the great thing about ST2 - its so flexible, and the forum is so useful!
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:32 pm

Ok, another idea would be to have "last 12months total" so to compare always a full year. But I wouldnt know how to achieve with "my tool" or anything else here.

Also, Im looking a long time for sth which I maintained in Excel for the time pre-STs: as running-7-day or 28day window.

Basicly that was allways summing the last 7 or 28 days, which for me were a good measurement for "too much" when it reached certain levels. A "week" or a "month" are no good for this. Anybody an idea? (or plugin? :evil: )
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby showDown » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:18 pm

This issues could be solved with the year view plugin from benbun - at the current development stage it shows daily and monthly totals and yearly totals should soon be added in the next version.
I´m sure it´s possible to show more totals if the calendar is able to show the single weeks of a year with the accumulated totals of weeks.
Navigate this Live WEB cam
of the historical village Stade
With some luck you see a
300m+ container ship here
on the Elbe near Krautsand
showDown
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:08 am

showDown wrote:This issues could be solved with the year view plugin from benbun - at the current development stage it shows daily and monthly totals and yearly totals should soon be added in the next version.
I´m sure it´s possible to show more totals if the calendar is able to show the single weeks of a year with the accumulated totals of weeks.

I do have that plugin, but currently thats long way from what I want. Maybe If one could mark consecutive days and get an automatic count of # and distance to show up in most ST graphs.
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Running Wolf » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:29 am

WG1968 wrote:Just a comment:

I personally won´t like additional lines stealing the space from the "more" important daily fields. :oops:

Well, it could be an option in the "settings" area, couldn't it?
Running Wolf
Donated!
Donated!

Postby WG1968 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:31 am

No real problem with to much lines, as alanwestwood points out one can resize the windows etc.
A setting would be nice - even for Hennes i think - if you could choose, how many lines (maybe up to 4) which can be used for calculations like week, month, year or last x days ... or not used!

But again it´s not so difficult to get this done in the activty reports view

@Hennes wrote
Basicly that was allways summing the last 7 or 28 days, which for me were a good measurement for "too much" when it reached certain levels. A "week" or a "month" are no good for this. Anybody an idea?

activity report view - search for date and use the option between or after

and there you are with all possibilities i can imagine (at this point), Hennes please correct me or explain which information you won´t get by this way?

Winfried
WG1968
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:41 am

WG1968 wrote:No real problem with to much lines, as alanwestwood points out one can resize the windows etc.
A setting would be nice - even for Hennes i think - if you could choose, how many lines (maybe up to 4) which can be used for calculations like week, month, year or last x days ... or not used!

How about a custom formula (-plugin), where everbody just shows what he wants, plus some predefined like week, month, year.

So one could show "sum of last 10 days" - "weekly average of last 4 weeks" etc. That would leave everything open to the users!

But again it´s not so difficult to get this done in the activty reports view

@Hennes wrote
Basicly that was allways summing the last 7 or 28 days, which for me were a good measurement for "too much" when it reached certain levels. A "week" or a "month" are no good for this. Anybody an idea?

activity report view - search for date and use the option between or after

and there you are with all possibilities i can imagine (at this point), Hennes please correct me or explain which information you won´t get by this way?

Winfried

Maybe I dont know everything in activity report, but I only see parts of my answers. The search could/must be extended to sth like "show last 28 calendardays" and/or "show last 10 activities".

Ofcourse I can get my last/any 28 days, but need to adjust days each time I use and still only have the sum, but no average or any other intersting stuff. Or do I miss anything here?
rgds hennes

HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Postby WG1968 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:45 am

How about a custom formula (-plugin), where everbody just shows what he wants, plus some predefined like week, month, year.

This sounds very nice, but if this is easy to program? The formula (and the user) have to know "all" possible values - comming also for the excel world - i truely would like this kind of free manipulation of existing data. I expect it would be more a plugin as an simple preference tab :cry:

Ofcourse I can get my last/any 28 days, but need to adjust days each time I use and still only have the sum, but no average or any other intersting stuff. Or do I miss anything here?

You don´t miss anything, the discussion started with the more or less simple task to have the sum of the last year, with a saved activity report (search after 01.01.2008) you don´t have to click,just choose the activity report saved, and there you are. You get the same information and some more ;-) as with your nice idea with the equipment.

To have average of the last 28 days is a new task, which is a bit more difficult :roll: I found no way, exept taking the sum of activitys in the 28 days and dividing it by numbers of activitys ... in my head (this might be not the way you like to do it :lol:)

You convinced me for a vote :) for a plugin or calcualtion method - lets discuss if it is better to put it in the daily view or (what i would prefer for the more complex tasks) in the activity report?
WG1968
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:55 pm

To have average of the last 28 days is a new task, which is a bit more difficult I found no way, exept taking the sum of activitys in the 28 days and dividing it by numbers of activitys

Some of what you want can be done by the Overlay Plugin combined with Reports. For example to see average speed over last month over distance: Filter reports for last month and then do the Overlay selecting catagory average and/or moving average.

Still not what you want but almost. We need to get the Overlay author interested and active again.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Next

Return to Questions