by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,161 (12) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Mar 12, 2014

limited number of course downable to FR305

limited number of course downable to FR305

Postby phcar » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:11 am

hi, I have purchashed and activated both ST3 and the plugin "Waypoint and courses" from old_man_biking. Obviously I can export only a limited number of courses from ST3 to my FR305 device: 2 or 3. when the limit is reached and I try to export again an other course, everything works fine i.e no error message pops up neither in ST3 nor on my FR305. Quite the contrary: "Übertragung vollständig" that means "transmission completed" appears on FR305 screen as usual. anything I should consider ? Hints are welcome.
phcar

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:49 am

Strange. I haven't seen any such issue, but I'm using different Garmin devices.
Does the edge have a similar limitation when you upload courses from Garmin Training Center?
Did you try and reduce the number of course points before exporting to the 305 - maybe there's a restriction on total number of course points.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:37 pm

The device has a limit on the number of courses, course laps, course points and course track points. The Garmin Communicator could well ignore to report failures....
(There is a protocol to find the limits, but that only works from USB as I know. GTC and GPSBabel implements it, it wont help you here.)
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby phcar » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:36 am

hi, it sounds like a general storage limitation on the FR305. As the internal FR305 memory space can not be extended, I will remove activities records for ex. to save up storage volume on the FR305. May be it helps in this case and I update you wiht the results.
I will also try to reduce the number of track points under the OMB Plugsin menu.
phcar

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 am

Thanks for your thorough explanation, Gerhard.
So deleting unwanted courses on the ForeRunner/edge and/or reducing the number of track points should help solve your issue, phcar.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Re: limited number of course downable to FR305

Postby gmorgan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:46 am

Hello, I too use a FR305 and use the courses and waypoints plug-in. I love the plug-in and use it quite a lot however I find that for my device the plug-in does not reliably export the courses to the 305 so I have started created the courses using the plug-in, then exporting to file. I then import it to Garmin TC and then us this to upload to the FR305. I was surprised when doing this how few courses I can hold at once. The TC export tells me if I'm over etc so I would try seeing if you can do it correctly on TC and then if so then try it with the plug-in.
For predictability I do as I mention, create the course with the plug in and then export to file.
If I find out more I'll post it up :)

interested to hear from other FR305 users of courses.
gmorgan
Donated!
Donated!

Re: limited number of course downable to FR305

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:34 am

I own a 305 myself and its course support is indeed very limited in two aspects:
- total number of track points over all courses and
- total number of course points

So you should always reduce the number of track points in courses before uploading to the 305.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Waypoint and Courses