by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,161 (12) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Jun 15, 2016

Waypoints plugin (OMB)

Waypoints plugin (OMB)

Postby emcotrina » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:48 am

I do not know if I should put this one in questions or here, so I decided for this place.

I want to know if that plugin can be useful for people not using Garmin devices.

I use my iPhone as gps tracker :)

Thanks in advance,

Ellie
emcotrina
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:51 am

It can be used to add waypoints on the map so I guess there is a use but you cannot export the waypoints & courses to non-Gamrin devices.
Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:59 am

It can be useful, because you can export your Waypoints in the commong GPX format. So if your iPhone app allows to import GPX files with waypoints, you've won.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:10 am

Any device that you know who accepts those files?
Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:22 am

GPX is the defacto standard for waypoint files, so all mapping programs that I know support it.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby nadaespecial » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:22 am

Hello,

I got a further question regarding the plugin:
Which Garmin devices allow routing. In the Forums everyone is just talking about the Garmin Edge Series, is it possible to use Garmin GPSMap® 60CSx (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310) for routing?
Is there a manual for the plugin? On OMB's homepage there is an announcement regarding the manual but I can't find it anywhere!

regards,
max
nadaespecial
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:16 pm

nadaespecial wrote:Which Garmin devices allow routing.

Most GPS devices (except for newer Garmin Forerunners at least) support GPX waypoints and routes.

Garmin Forerunners and Edges since the x05 models support Courses, which is slightly different but more useful for fitness.

Some attempt to explain in the FAQ:
http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttr ... php?t=6389

Edit: Link cut&paste
Last edited by gerhard on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby nadaespecial » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:27 am

@Gerhard: Thanks for the help., but the link does not work!
nadaespecial
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:57 pm

link fixed
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Need help with W&C plugin

Postby carbal54 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:03 am

Hi, OMB

I'm still fighting with your plugin, I definitely need some how-to/manual because for the time being I'm not able to exploit the potentiality of the soft.

Few points: (in random order)

1. Export file in .crs, quite obsolete, it should be .tcx
2. Course should be visible only on Routes, in Daily Activity it creates confusion because it remains visible even changing Activity
3. Wayponts symbols are editable? (I mean delete the useless and add the course-ponts ones) (P.S. i really hope none of ST users need Hunting wayponts!!)
4. I was not able to move a course-point
5. Moving a waypoint sometime works fine, sometimes doesn't
6. Turn warning: I think that it should be like on BikeRouteToaster, a course point X meter before the real one, but I'm not able to see them and it should be possible to define the distance.
7. Even if the un-docking options is good, still is difficult to move back and forth from Course to Activity/ Routes view; the lower right part of the Course window will not shrink, so resizing height hide the course-points list.

What I would be able to do:
a) Get rid of Garmin Training Center
b) Create a track off-line with MapSource (this because I understood that your plugin allow autorouting only with Google Maps and on-line, while, for my area and especially for MTB, openmtbmap are much better and works off-line)
c) Upload the track in ST3 and create a course
d) wiew the course on the same window with the map on the upper part and the profile on the lower, move or delete the un-necessary course-point created by your plugin.
e) right-click on the map to add course-points and/or waypoints
f) right-click on altitude profile and have the point highlighted on the map and the possibility to add a course-point
g) export the course as .tcx

d) correct/update the italian translation (some menus are unclear or italian/english mix)

Cheers

Carlo
carbal54

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:43 am

I think most of the points should be settled as soon as the manual is there.
Unfortunately I seem to be caught in an ugly time dilation bubble :P

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Waypoints plugin (OMB)

Postby carbal54 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:52 am

Hi, OMB

How it's the "time dilation bubble", time machine still doesn't work? :lol:

At the end I purchase your plugin (along with some others), but I still hope you can fix the points I indicate on my post of November 8th.

Spring approaching, time to prepare new rides, hopefully with the help of your plugin. :wink:

OT: any news about Map Overlay?

cheers

carlo
carbal54

Postby old_man_biking » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:26 am

carbal54 wrote:Hi, OMB

How it's the "time dilation bubble", time machine still doesn't work? :lol:

At the end I purchase your plugin (along with some others), but I still hope you can fix the points I indicate on my post of November 8th.

Spring approaching, time to prepare new rides, hopefully with the help of your plugin. :wink:

OT: any news about Map Overlay?

cheers

carlo

I've added several new features to Waypoints and and Courses plugin. It'll be released in the next weeks.
MapOverlay has been renamed to "Track Coloring" and is currently in beta test (there's a post concerning this). So a release can be expected soon.
Ok, let's try and give some answers on your questions as of Nov 8 (all answers refer to the state of the current development version):

Few points: (in random order)

1. Export file in .crs, quite obsolete, it should be .tcx OMB: you can select CRS or TCX
2. Course should be visible only on Routes, in Daily Activity it creates confusion because it remains visible even changing Activity OMB: declined, I like it the way it is. Your suggestion has lots of disadvantages.
3. Wayponts symbols are editable? (I mean delete the useless and add the course-ponts ones) (P.S. i really hope none of ST users need Hunting wayponts!!)OMB: The set is predefined by Garmin.
4. I was not able to move a course-pointOMB: it's possible, even in your vesion
5. Moving a waypoint sometime works fine, sometimes doesn'tOMB: ????
6. Turn warning: I think that it should be like on BikeRouteToaster, a course point X meter before the real one, but I'm not able to see them and it should be possible to define the distance.OMB:the distance is fix: 10 seconds; they are created on the fly, when you export to your device. And they are removed, when you import from your device.
7. Even if the un-docking options is good, still is difficult to move back and forth from Course to Activity/ Routes view; the lower right part of the Course window will not shrink, so resizing height hide the course-points list. I've changed the behavious, so that the course point edit area (lower left) is only displayed, when a course point is selected in the list

What I would be able to do:
a) Get rid of Garmin Training Center
b) Create a track off-line with MapSource (this because I understood that your plugin allow autorouting only with Google Maps and on-line, while, for my area and especially for MTB, openmtbmap are much better and works off-line)
c) Upload the track in ST3 and create a course
d) wiew the course on the same window with the map on the upper part and the profile on the lower, move or delete the un-necessary course-point created by your plugin.
e) right-click on the map to add course-points and/or waypoints
f) right-click on altitude profile and have the point highlighted on the map and the possibility to add a course-point
g) export the course as .tcx

d) correct/update the italian translation (some menus are unclear or italian/english mix) OMB: I'm looking for volunteers :)

Cheers

Carlo[/quote]
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby carbal54 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Ciao OMB,

thanks for your answer.

1) OK let's wait for the new version

2) I found a way to "hide" the Courses, but I found another problem. If I create a Course from an Activity, on Daily Activity view, Course and Activity are overlapping and I cannot left-click on the Course to create/add a course point. I'm obliged to choose another activity that doesn't overlap the Course to be able to have the left-click choices. Between the left-click choices, "Add waypoints to course" return an error.

3) Pity, 90% of them are useless for cycling.

4) Still did not find out how.

5) Moving waypoints: right-click > Move = fine; cursor become a cross = fine; but if by chance (and it's quite easy to do it) I move the cursor below the label, it disappear and I need to start again.

6) Distance = 10 seconds? Does that mean that it calculate the speed? Eg 60 Km/h = warning 167 mt in advance, 30 Km/h = warning 84 mt in advance ?

7) OK

8) I really would like to have the possibility to add course point while on Course view; meaning mainly right clicking on the Elevation Profile to add a course point

d) You have my mail, I'm responsible of the first translation... so I will correct a work not perfectly done :cry:

regards

carlo
carbal54

Turns warning

Postby carbal54 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:43 am

Hi OMB,

I'm using more and more your plugin and LOVE it!!
There is one point that is not clear to me, turns warning are very useful, but still I'm not able to understand exactly the logic.
If I understood correctly the turn warning is set 10 sec. before the course-point, setting an average speed of, let say, 30 Km/h the warnings will be set 83 mt before the course point?
If the above is true, do you know a way to decrease the speed while up-hill and increase it while down-hill?

Thanks

carlo
carbal54

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:10 am

Sorry, I don't understand "If the above is true, do you know a way to decrease the speed while up-hill and increase it while down-hill?"
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby carbal54 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:39 am

old_man_biking wrote:Sorry, I don't understand "If the above is true, do you know a way to decrease the speed while up-hill and increase it while down-hill?"

My question is: there is a way to modify the average speed for "sections" of the course? reducing the average speed while going up and incrasing it while down-hill ?

thanks

carlo
carbal54

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:05 am

I see.
No.

When you create courses from actions, this is usually not necessary, because the actions' GPS tracks already have appropriate speed - slower uphill and faster downhill.
When you create courses from GPS routes or via autorouting, the speed is of course constant - bad luck.

I'm however just working on an extension for my GPS2PowerTrack plugin that can create GPSTracks with a speed that is adjusted that you always have to provide a given power.
This is exactly what your request requires.
Interested in a developer version of this (it's still not 100% perfect, however)??

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby carbal54 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:11 am

old_man_biking wrote:I'm however just working on an extension for my GPS2PowerTrack plugin that can create GPSTracks with a speed that is adjusted that you always have to provide a given power.
This is exactly what your request requires.
Interested in a developer version of this (it's still not 100% perfect, however)??

Cheers,
OMB

Always interested to try improvments :o

Even if not perfect, could not be worse than my own company software :cry:

carlo
carbal54

Postby sapor » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:19 am

About the export to garmin feature.

exportToGarmin.png
exportToGarmin.png (11.78 KiB) Viewed 21215 times

I am afraid to say, this is not working for me.

1. what did I do?
Creating a route via bikeroutetoster -> exporting it as gpx file
imported gpx track: <import> <import from file>
Added waypoints: <courses> <edit> <add waypoints to course>
exported the file to garmin: <export> export to garmin>

2. what happend?
Searching for device. Device forerunner 310xt found.
Done

after clicking <OK>
20 sec wait period, on the display of my watch appeared: datatransfer
But I couldn't find it under the course directory.

3. What i did next?
I created a course via garmin connect and uploaded the file to my device, this did function correctly.

So what did I or the plugin do wrong?

freundliche Grüße aus dem Frankenland.
sapor
sapor

Postby old_man_biking » Tue May 01, 2012 10:22 am

Almächd - a Frangge :)

Sorry, I don't have a clue right now.
Did you try out the opposite direction - import a course from your Garmin into the plugin? Does that work?

Anyone else out there who uses the W&C plugin with a Forerunner 310XT ??

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby tndmbkr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:28 am

carbal54 wrote:My question is: there is a way to modify the average speed for "sections" of the course? reducing the average speed while going up and incrasing it while down-hill ?

old_man_biking wrote:When you create courses from actions, this is usually not necessary, because the actions' GPS tracks already have appropriate speed - slower uphill and faster downhill.
When you create courses from GPS routes or via autorouting, the speed is of course constant - bad luck.

I find it difficult to go along with your reply.

When I add a course point for a pause, I can enter the duration of my pause.
But when I want to add a course point to make a sprint until the next course point, I cannot enter my temporary increase in speed
A course is meant to perform a training ride/run as a race against a "Virtual Partner".
But a ride with a virtual partner who rides at constant speed, does not spur me.
tndmbkr

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Providing a method to change speed for only part of a course sounds like a very good idea. I could add that to the plugin without too much effort.
If you're interested, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a beta version with that new feature in the next days.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:31 pm

Given elevation information, a table with "likely" speeds for given slopes could be used. Perhaps a cross-reference between ST's Speed Zones and Climb Zones Category tables.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Waypoint and Courses