by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,161 (12) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Jun 15, 2016

Problem Install Map from Device

Problem Install Map from Device

Postby ultradianguy » Tue May 26, 2015 4:54 pm

Hi- In the courses plugin, there is an option to Install Maps from my device. I'm not entirely clear what the benefit to doing this would be - but I assumed it would improve the courses in some way. I have a GPSMAP60CSX. If I put it in USB Storage Mode, it shows up in the dropdown for device, but instead of seeing folders or files in the browser, I see a Cloud Made website with an error 404 page. Please advise as to how to make this work and what the benefit would be if I do!

THanks,
Michael
ultradianguy

Re: Problem Install Map from Device

Postby ultradianguy » Tue May 26, 2015 4:58 pm

In addition - if I try to "Show on Garmin" , for the GPSMAP 60csx, it says device doesn't support it. For the Forerunner 310XT, I get options for both Garmin Communicator and ANT Agent. Communicator gives a fit file error. ANT doesn't give an error, but nothing happens - the dialog just closes.

At this point - I'm really unclear what the benefit of the Waypoints and Courses plugin, compared to - for example - just creating them in Basecamp.

THanks...
ultradianguy

Postby old_man_biking » Wed May 27, 2015 7:16 am

ultradianguy wrote:Hi- In the courses plugin, there is an option to Install Maps from my device. I'm not entirely clear what the benefit to doing this would be - but I assumed it would improve the courses in some way. I have a GPSMAP60CSX. If I put it in USB Storage Mode, it shows up in the dropdown for device, but instead of seeing folders or files in the browser, I see a Cloud Made website with an error 404 page. Please advise as to how to make this work and what the benefit would be if I do!

THanks,
Michael

This action routes you to a website (cloudmade.com), which uses to provide free maps for download to Garmin devices.
Unfortunatle they no longer provide this for us "normal" users; see http://notes.ericjiang.com/posts/741 .
So this action doesn't work any longer. I'll have to see if I find a similar provider of free maps for Garmin devices.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Wed May 27, 2015 7:36 am

ultradianguy wrote:In addition - if I try to "Show on Garmin" , for the GPSMAP 60csx, it says device doesn't support it. For the Forerunner 310XT, I get options for both Garmin Communicator and ANT Agent. Communicator gives a fit file error. ANT doesn't give an error, but nothing happens - the dialog just closes.

At this point - I'm really unclear what the benefit of the Waypoints and Courses plugin, compared to - for example - just creating them in Basecamp.

THanks...

I suppose you tried this in "Courses" view. If yes, the plugin is perfectly right, as the 60csc doesn't support courses (don't mix them up with "Routes", courses are another concept provided by Garmins fitness oriented devices: edge***, ForeRunner****).

The W&C plugin integrates waypoints, routes and courses into SportTracks. Of course there are other tools out there for handling these items.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Waypoint and Courses