Downloads: 1,161 (12) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Jun 15, 2016

Comparison of ways to get courses to Garmin device

Comparison of ways to get courses to Garmin device

Postby ultradianguy » Tue May 26, 2015 12:22 pm

Hi all-

I am struggling with the various possible ways to build a route and load it onto either my Garmin 310XT or my Garmin GPSMAP60CSX (for turn by turn routing).

I have registered the waypoint and courses plugin, so that is among my options.

However, I've been using ridewithgps.com to search for routes others have created. It seems to be fairly easy to edit routes there, and they can be exported as either tcx or gpx files. I have not at this point payed for the premium version of ridewithgps which would also let me send routes directly to the garmin devices.

After exporting routes from ridewithgps, I can successfully import them into Basecamp, from which I could load to my devices.
I could also (presumably?) use Garmin Connect, though I haven't tried that yet.

I also tried importing one of those routes into the Waypoints and Courses plugin, and that worked, but I found it a bit confusing in terms of creating a good set of turn alerts. Basecamp seemed to do a decent job of that (other than creating a bunch of unnecessary uturns where track points were placed on opposite sides of the road).

So my question is - what do others find are the best ways to:

Create routes
Modify routes, including turn by turn instructions
Get those routes to an older garmin device like gpsmap60csx which DOES have maps installed
Get those routes to a forerunner like 310 xt which does not have maps but which could use a course with speed goals, etc

Thanks!
Michael
ultradianguy

Re: Comparison of ways to get courses to Garmin device

Postby Z74 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:36 pm

I use 3d Route Builder Plus to build courses and it's pretty the definitive tool for me. Generally, unless I must build one from Google Earth, I use more or less the websites everybody uses, most notably gpsies.com which I recommend you to see since you also use Garmin (who doesn't these days). ;)

I haven't tried GC but I use BaseCamp as well... naturally the courses uploaded to your device will show on GC and that's the fancy thing. You can change your pace in GC when you improve and keep your virtual partner on par with you. I didn't know of the plugin you mentioned and will check it out.

You never stop learning. :)
Z74

Postby ultradianguy » Tue May 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. What is it about 3D Route Builder that you find preferable to other options?
ultradianguy

Postby Z74 » Tue May 26, 2015 2:17 pm

It is a complete tool you can use outside the browser and internet environment (i.e. totally offline), it imports and exports in many of formats and it's quite easy to handle and master.
I like the options to smooth the tracks because I regularly build tracks to train on my indoor trainer... the interpolation and the point averaging are customizable according to your needs and the program is fully google-earth pluginned. Can't say about other programs because I was suggested this one in a forum, I tried, registered it and never needed anything else. For example, a month ago the latest patch allows you to create new points at a selected distance interval. That means you can very finely use the Point Averaging method of smoothening for a result that is always better than interpolation in terms of accuracy but that only really works when you know the exact distance and the exact interval between the selected points.

I sure could use it to upload to my Fenix3 but so far, I don't know why, I've always used the track building capabilities of Google Earth (meaning just the route, completely ignoring the elevation markers). Needless to say, the problem in this case is that I'm not using the F3 for nav-course purposes. Training limited to indoor bike - swimming - strength (coming back from foot injury)... need to study it better before putting 3d route builder plus to good use and ST3 and its plugins are sapping my limited time and mental strength. :lol:
Z74

Return to Waypoint and Courses