Downloads: 1,161 (12) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Jun 15, 2016

Deleting course points, time jumps

Deleting course points, time jumps

Postby mroek » Sat May 23, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi,

I have an activity that I want to create a course from. However, within that activity I leave the path where I want the course to go, and I have a pause there for 10 minutes. This is what this looks like:

course_problem.jpg
course_problem.jpg (67.46 KiB) Viewed 5656 times

What I want to do is to delete the section of the course that is off the main road. To do this, I have to create a course point before and after, and then choose to delete the course between these two points. This works, and I then get a straight line course without the offending section. However, since there was also a pause within that section, the time (in the virtual partner on the Garmin) will jump when I try to ride this course, since the plugin does not adjust/offset the time of the remaining course when the section was removed.

I am aware of the option to remove timer pauses when creating the course from the activity, but I will still be left with a time jump (although very small) due to the time it took me to ride the off main road part.

Is there a way to work around this? I really think that the plugin should correct (and interpolate time) when performing an operation like this.

Best regards,
-Øyvind
mroek
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Deleting course points, time jumps

Postby old_man_biking » Sun May 24, 2015 1:34 am

When you do "Edit:Create course(s)", a dialog opens with several options.
Please see http://sporttracks-plugins.com/SportTra ... ocId932482 .

Option "remove timer pauses" totally removes any parts of the activity that have been recorded by your device as a timer pause.
Note: Garmin FIT Devices plugin adds an activity detail page "Timer pauses", which shows you the recorded timer pauses.
Are you sure that your activity has a timer pause recorded during the extra loop that you cut out later? If yes, fine - "Edit:Create course(s)" with option "remove timer pauses" should handle this like you expect.
If not, a workaround could be to "Edit:Split" the activity in 3 parts, adjust the start time of part 3 and "Edit:Join" parts 1 + 3.

EDITED:
I just found a glitch in the "remove timer pauses" option. When you tick this option, it does not have effect immediately. When you do a SECOND "Edit:Create course(s)", it is effective.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mroek » Sun May 24, 2015 5:59 am

Hi,

Thanks for answering! Yes, my device did record a timer pause, and I could see that the option to remove it did work. However, I also wanted to completely remove the offending loop, and deleting it like I explained doesn't remove the time (there is more time spent than just the recorded pause) within the loop, just the track. It would have been convenient to at least have an option to tell the plugin to adjust and interpolate time when a section is deleted. This would then also have worked even if the timer pause was included (the mentioned checkbox unticked) as long as the pause was within the deleted section.

I'll try your suggested workaround, but that means modifying the activity before creating a course from it, right? That's not really what I want, I want to keep the activity unaltered in my logbook, it is just the course created from the activity that I want to edit.

Best regards,
-Øyvind
mroek
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mroek » Sun May 24, 2015 3:28 pm

The same checkbox glitch applies to the "Reduce track points (by min. {0}%)". You have to create a course twice to make it effective (or non-effective). And I guess it should show a real percentage number also?

Another question: Does the reduce function thin points intelligently, keeping more points when the track turns and removing more points when the track is straight? To me it seems to just remove points equally along the complete track, but I might be wrong.

Best regards
-Øyvind
mroek
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue May 26, 2015 4:28 am

mroek wrote:Hi,

Thanks for answering! Yes, my device did record a timer pause, and I could see that the option to remove it did work. However, I also wanted to completely remove the offending loop, and deleting it like I explained doesn't remove the time (there is more time spent than just the recorded pause) within the loop, just the track. It would have been convenient to at least have an option to tell the plugin to adjust and interpolate time when a section is deleted. This would then also have worked even if the timer pause was included (the mentioned checkbox unticked) as long as the pause was within the deleted section.

I'll try your suggested workaround, but that means modifying the activity before creating a course from it, right? That's not really what I want, I want to keep the activity unaltered in my logbook, it is just the course created from the activity that I want to edit.

Best regards,
-Øyvind

Hi Øyvind,
yes, you are right, the "Delete ..." action should completely discard the time spent in the deleted section. I'll change this in the plugin.
If you're interested, send me a PM with your email address and a link to this post and I'll email you a beta version.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue May 26, 2015 4:30 am

mroek wrote:The same checkbox glitch applies to the "Reduce track points (by min. {0}%)". You have to create a course twice to make it effective (or non-effective). And I guess it should show a real percentage number also?
Yes (the number is "20%").
mroek wrote:Another question: Does the reduce function thin points intelligently, keeping more points when the track turns and removing more points when the track is straight? To me it seems to just remove points equally along the complete track, but I might be wrong.

Yes, it does. It reduces points in a way that the shape of the track is changed as little as possible. I.e. it keeps points where the track bends and removes points on straight stretches.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mroek » Tue May 26, 2015 10:00 am

I've found some more bugs/quirks/annoyances.

1) Course point symbols aren't always cleared even if the course that contained the symbols are deleted. Restarting ST fixes the problem. Looks like this:
stuck_course_points.png
Course point symbols belonging to a deleted course
stuck_course_points.png (13.98 KiB) Viewed 5279 times

2) Using autoroute to fix a GPS track messes up the speed completely. Example:

deviating_course.png
Course with track that goess off-road and contains a pause
deviating_course.png (56.77 KiB) Viewed 5279 times

Here I have added two course points P1 and P2, one before and one after the section I want to correct. I've also included the speed profile in the screenshot, showing that the pause has been removed, but the speed is still zero for a short moment (to be expected).

Then I choose to autoroute between these two point to keep the track on the road. Using Google and choosing car (have to stay on the main road), the track looks perfect, but the speed profile is messed up:

speed_profile_mess.png
speed_profile_mess.png (6.81 KiB) Viewed 5279 times

As you can see, the speed is now jumping to above 80 km/h inside the segment.
If I try to correct this by setting a constant (or average) speed to 40 km/h for this segment, the speed profile still has a peak at over 80 km/h towards the end of the segment.

I have also been in contact with OMB by PM, and he'll be looking at this, but he requested to keep the questions to the forum so that others could benefit from it.
mroek
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue May 26, 2015 10:20 am

Re 1) this might be an issue with ST's Google Map mapping provider. Try to use OpenStreetMap maps (you need to install the OpenStreetMap plugin for this, it'll give you some more maps beside "Street", "Satellite", ...) and see if the problem occurs with these maps as well.

Re 2) I'm aware of this issue; it should be fixed in the development version, I'm currently working on.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Waypoint and Courses