by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,161 (12) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Jun 15, 2016

Updating Courses for latest performance

Updating Courses for latest performance

Postby ksherman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:00 pm

As a possible enhancement it would be really great to be able to easily update courses with latest speed data whenever you complete a course. Automatically on Import would be really cool, options for always update, update for PB, and never update.
I guess this is trying to store Strava locally, so if I ride a standard ride, and on that activity there are 3 defined courses matched to the activity, then check the settings and update as appropriate. The outcome here is really to get the best use of Virtual Partner i.e. know that it represents the best effort.
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Updating Courses for latest performance

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:31 am

ksherman wrote:As a possible enhancement it would be really great to be able to easily update courses with latest speed data whenever you complete a course. Automatically on Import would be really cool, options for always update, update for PB, and never update.
I guess this is trying to store Strava locally, so if I ride a standard ride, and on that activity there are 3 defined courses matched to the activity, then check the settings and update as appropriate. The outcome here is really to get the best use of Virtual Partner i.e. know that it represents the best effort.

Basically a very good suggestion.
Unfortunately Garmin .FIT files do not contain a reference to the course, when you've done the activity following a course. This makes it a bit hard to identify the course.
I'm not sure if I understand the "... there are 3 defined courses matched to the activity ...". My Garmin edge800 allows me to "do" exactly one course. I can't switch courses during an activity. So
To my understanding this suggestion really means kind of rebuilding Strava's concept of segments locally.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:01 pm

It could be possible to integrate Trails in Waypoints and Courses, get a list of matching Trails for each activity, possibly other matching activities.

Or use a set of Waypoints as a Strava segment/Trail. But as omb said, that is some effort.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby ksherman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks for the replies. Gerhard that is basically what I do manually now. Use Trails to determine the rank, if I want to replace the course then I do that manually. It works reasonably well, just a bit manual.

OMB, I understand your point but would it be possible to manually select either an activity or a course (whichever is easier/more logical) and then select an option to update the course. If entry point is Activity then it would ask you to select the Course to find, if entry point was Courses then it would ask you to select the Activity.
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:27 am

Hi ksherman,

please send me your email address and you'll get a beta of W&C plugin with an "Update from activity" action for courses.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Waypoint and Courses