by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,161 (12) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Jun 15, 2016

Manually adding a Course Point

Manually adding a Course Point

Postby dbrillha » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:30 pm

I've really tried to figure this out by reading the manual and looking up posts. Sorry to have to ask. I'm sure this is easy. I'd like to manually add a course point to a route.

First I created a 1 mile test route in the Select View -> ROUTE section of ST. It followed the roads and created a route just as I'd expect. I was even able to add a waypoint to the route. I could then CREATE COURSE from this new route and it created a new course.

I then went to the COURSE view. I did the "Add Waypoints to Course" and it worked just like I'd expect. I now had a single course point in my little test course. So far, so good.

===

There are two methods described in the manual to manually add a new course point at a desired location on the route. I've tried both. If I understand the manual:

1. In Courses View, in the elevation profile (there is no map in this view), the manual says to: in the Course Track Chart: click on the x axis at the desired distance. I
click on the X-axis at various distances. I've clicked on it, slightly above and below it. I've clicked the left and right mouse buttons. It doesn't offer any options to add a course point or do anything.

2. In Route View, (here I see both a map and an elevation profile) the manual says: click on the course track line on the map and select "Add course point". I've tried that, on many locations on the map's route line, making sure I'm on one of the track points. And there is no option to add a course point.

I'm sure it is a user error. Any ideas? Thanks.
dbrillha

Re: Manually adding a Course Point

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:32 am

Your refere to the online manual here.

Re 1.: there's one thing I obviously have NOT written in the manual:
ensure that you display course points on the x axis. To do so, click on the leftmost button above the chart (from right to left: pin, zoom in, zoom out, ....) and select "course points"

Re 2.: select the course in "Courses" view. Then the course't track visible in "Dailiy Activity" and "Routes" view, whichever activity or route you've currently selected.
And as the manual says: click on the course track line. I don't know what you've tried, but you've written "I've ... on the map's route line". Which is not what I've written in the manual :)

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dbrillha » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:58 am

Awesome!! that was the key to method #1. Once I enabled course point on the elevation profile in the COURSE view, it worked :-)

I would prefer to manually add course points in ROUTE view, since I can actually place them along the map of the route. But I still can't figure that method out. Here is a view of what I get when I click in the course track, either with a left or right mouse click. No option to add a course point.

ex.GIF
ex.GIF (39.11 KiB) Viewed 5267 times

Here is the manual entry. Maybe I don't understand the difference between a course track and a route line?

ex2.GIF
ex2.GIF (40.38 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
dbrillha

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:34 am

Are you sure that what you see is the COURSE track line, not the ROUTE????
Simplest way: go to "Courses" view, double click on a course in the list, Daily Activity view opens with the COURSE centered on the map, proceed ...

OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dbrillha » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:49 am

Got it. That worked. This particular course/route did not exist as an activity. I created it from scratch. So I didn't think to look in the ACTIVITY view. Once I did that, it worked!

Thanks so much!
dbrillha

Postby texmurphy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:35 pm

Route vs Course track can be a problem. There is no way to change the width of the course track. But one can make the route track very narrow in Settings-Display-Routes. This helps a little to see the course track when it sits on the route track.

Problem is that an activity with map needs to be selected in Daily Activity for Courses to grab that map for the course track display. So best to choose an activity which is totally dissimilar from the course. But not too distant or you can't find the course.

Another possibility is for the Courses Plugin to allow for user selected course track display width.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Waypoint and Courses