Downloads: 1,161 (12) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Jun 15, 2016

Cannot Export to Garmin 310XT

Cannot Export to Garmin 310XT

Postby barton986 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:05 am

Hi,
I've been using the Courses plugin to export to my Garmin 305 and 310XT off and on for a few years. Now today, when I got to export a course to my 310XT I get the error "Error: Your device doesn't support this type of data". What has changed? What can I do to export courses to my watch? It's really frustrating to have to write down my turns on a piece of paper after having spent time creating the course online and paying for this plugin.
Thanks for any help,
Jon
barton986
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Cannot Export to Garmin 310XT

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:44 am

barton986 wrote:Hi,
I've been using the Courses plugin to export to my Garmin 305 and 310XT off and on for a few years. Now today, when I got to export a course to my 310XT I get the error "Error: Your device doesn't support this type of data". What has changed? What can I do to export courses to my watch? It's really frustrating to have to write down my turns on a piece of paper after having spent time creating the course online and paying for this plugin.
Thanks for any help,
Jon

W&C plugin (and the underlying Garmin Connect plugin) parse the device's so-called "GarminDevice.xml" file in order to check which file types are supported for upload resp. download.
Did you update your 310XT's firmware lately?

Please go to the ANT Agent sync folder "C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\{DEVICE-NUMBER}", zip the GarminDevice.xml file and attach it to your post.

There's a workaround: export your courses and/or waypoints to a .TCX file with W&C plugin and drop these files into the upload folder.
It's usually "C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\{DEVICE-NUMBER}\NewFiles", but the name can be different. The exact name once again is stored in GarminDevice.xml.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby barton986 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:17 am

Hi OMB,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you here. I've attached the XML file from my 310xt... as text below because I can't figure out what file extensions are legal to upload to the ST forums.
Also, I have switched over to Garmin Express from ANT Agent. I forget if this was before or after this issue first started...I know, super helpful there... :oops: It seems that there are some issues with third party software and Express? Not sure if these are relevant, but I have managed to download a course to my 310xt using the modern Garmin Connect and Garmin Express now.
I will attempt the work around.
-Jon

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
<Device xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDevice/v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDevice/v2 http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDevicev2.xsd">

<Model>
    <PartNumber>006-B1446-00</PartNumber>
    <SoftwareVersion>0</SoftwareVersion>
    <Description>Forerunner 310XT</Description>
  </Model>

<Id>3865627517</Id>

<DisplayName>Forerunner 310XT</DisplayName>

<MassStorageMode>
    <DataType>
      <Name>FITBinary</Name>
      <File>
        <Specification>
          <Identifier>FIT</Identifier>
        </Specification>
        <Location>
          <Path>./</Path>
          <BaseName>DeviceCapabilities</BaseName>
          <FileExtension>FIT</FileExtension>
        </Location>
        <TransferDirection>InputOutput</TransferDirection>
      </File>
    </DataType>
  </MassStorageMode>

</Device>
barton986
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Mon May 26, 2014 1:47 am

If I know right, Garmin has left their old product track with Garmin Express.
Garmin Express no longer supports the Garmin Communicator plugin, which is used by W&C plugin for up-/download.

I'll see if I can add some support for Garmin Express to the plugin.

Btw, your Device.xml file looks really strange - there's nearly zero information in it. In which folder did you find that file, please?

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby barton986 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:18 am

old_man_biking wrote:Btw, your Device.xml file looks really strange - there's nearly zero information in it. In which folder did you find that file, please?

Exactly the one you specified above. I know that at least some data has moved from this directory with the move to Garmin Express. My FIT files are now located under a ProgramData filepath. (C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GarminConnect\Forerunner 310XT-<Device ID>\Upload\FIT_TYPE_4) The FIT files do appear to be the only data stored there though, so it might not be relevant. I was having some difficulty downloading courses from the "classic" Garmin Connect website for a while, might it be possible that it overwrote the XML file(s) via Express?
Also, if I uninstall Garmin Express and reinstall ANT Agent (assuming I can find an installer), should course download work natively from Courses again?
Thanks for taking a look at this.
-Jon
barton986
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Mon May 26, 2014 10:58 am

barton986 wrote:
old_man_biking wrote:Btw, your Device.xml file looks really strange - there's nearly zero information in it. In which folder did you find that file, please?

Exactly the one you specified above. I know that at least some data has moved from this directory with the move to Garmin Express. My FIT files are now located under a ProgramData filepath. (C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GarminConnect\Forerunner 310XT-<Device ID>\Upload\FIT_TYPE_4) The FIT files do appear to be the only data stored there though, so it might not be relevant. I was having some difficulty downloading courses from the "classic" Garmin Connect website for a while, might it be possible that it overwrote the XML file(s) via Express?
Also, if I uninstall Garmin Express and reinstall ANT Agent (assuming I can find an installer), should course download work natively from Courses again?
Thanks for taking a look at this.
-Jon

Hi Jon,

I assume that wiping out Garmin Express and reinstalling ANT Agent (and possible Garmin Communicator Plugin) should make W&C plugin work like before.
But if I think of all the chaos that Garmin recently created with semi-mature Garmin Express versions and other stuff, I can't give any guarantees :?:

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby barton986 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi OMB,
Just wanted to leave an FYI about the manual course/workout download. It does not appear to work anymore with Garmin Express. I have not tried to uninstall and go back to ANT Agent yet.
-Jon
barton986
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tobias Grauel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:21 am

Hello,

I have the same problem and cannot export courses to ma FR 310XT via Garmin Express.

But before I change to another more difiiculte way of exporting courses I would like to know if there will be a solution for this issue in the near future?

Best Regards,

Tobias
Tobias Grauel

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:25 am

Garmin Express has broken Garmin Communicator Plugin, whis has been the method of choice to upload to Garmin devices.
I'll give it a try, but it's not priority a on my list.
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Tobias Grauel » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:10 am

Hello,

ok, but then what would you suggest people should do to export courses on the FR 310xt?

This was the key feature I purchased the plugin and now its not working.

It would be great if you had an interim solution until the export via Garmin Express is possible.

Best regards,
Tobias Grauel

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:42 am

The interim solution is clear: remove that dreadful Garmin Express and reinstall Garmin Communicator Plugin .

A little task for you to see how export through Garmin Express works - I don't own a FR310XT so I ask you:
* open Windows Explorer at "C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\GarminConnect" - there should be (at least) a subfolder for your device
* try to export a course (deutsch: Strecke) from Garmin Connect to your device; please use a longish course so that transfer takes some time
* if possible try WITHOUT your FR being switched on - does export work in this case? if not, witch your device on and bring it near your PC
* right when you start the export, start a search in the Windows Explorer window for files with change date ("Änderungsdatum") of today
* are there any files of type .tcx, .crs or .fit with a change date of just a few seconds ago (i.e. created during the course export)
* if yes, what are their exact file names and path names

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby barton986 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:34 am

Dear OMB,

The "interim solution" no longer works. I have an old laptop set up specifically to use your Courses plugin to send courses to my 310XT. It worked fine as of last week. Now I am getting the error about my device not being supported again. No changes to the watch or the system that I am aware of.

I do not have Garmin Express installed on this laptop at all. I am unable to manually send the course to the watch using the %appdata% folders either (I'm not 100% sure that I know how to do this).

Please advise.

-Jon
barton986
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:34 pm

Could you please accomplish the "task" as of my previous post, to help me sort things out.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby rogerpgvg » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:28 pm

Using "Export to Garmin" works fine with my 310XT (with ANT agent version 2.3.4). It exports .tcx files to C:\Users\Roger\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Devices\1234567890\Courses (Windows 7), e.g., Dundee.tcx. When I then plug in my ANT stick, it converts it to a .FIT file, e.g., 19891231-131733-1-ANTFS-6.FIT.
rogerpgvg

Postby barton986 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:19 am

Hi OMB,

In case this is still useful to you over a year later :oops: :oops:, here are the results from the "tests" you described above. This is with Garmin Express Version 4.1.10.0.

The export begins with the watch turned off, but it will not complete.

Here are the files that update within the Garmin ProgramData directory. No .fit, .crs, .gpx or similar file types appear to update. If there are any temporary files of these types, they do not show up while the watch is turned off. The transfer takes a few seconds, so I would think I would have seen it in File Explorer while the transfer was under way.
C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Logs\CoreService\Detailed\CoreServiceDetailed.log
C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\device_data_store.xml
C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Logs\Express\Express.log
C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\preloaded_maps.xml
C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Logs\Tray\Tray.log
C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\configuration_settings.xml
C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Logs\CoreService\CoreService.log

Let me know if there's any other information that I can provide and I'll see if I can provide it with a turn around time of less than a year. :lol:
barton986
Donated!
Donated!

Postby barton986 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:39 pm

So, to add a nice finale to this thread, I have finally figured out how to get courses onto my 310xt using Garmin Express. I'm not sure if this is due to an added feature of Garmin Express or if I just never stumbled upon the answer before.

Anyway, here's how I have done it:
1) Export a course in *.fit format.
2) Start Garmin Express (well, just make sure it's running).
3) Copy the .fit file into the %appdata%/<device id>/NewFiles directory.
4) Wait for Garmin Express to transfer the course.
5) Go run.

The key seems to be that Garmin Express is running while the .fit file is copied to the NewFiles directory. If it is copied and then Express is started, the .fit file does not get transferred.

Note that I'm not at my "Garmin computer" right now, so the directory listed in step 3 might be off a little bit. It is definitely the %appdata% directory though (and not the ProgramData directory).

I have transferred a few courses this way now, and actually navigated with turn alerts (course points) using one of them.

Anyway, I hope this helps a few people out.

-Jon
barton986
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:08 am

Hi Jon,

thanks a lot for sharing this "how to" with the community.

Have a great day,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Waypoint and Courses