by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,161 (12) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Jun 15, 2016

Using waypoints as course points

Using waypoints as course points

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:07 pm

1. importing waypoints keeps the names of the waypoints used for instance in .gpx files.

2. using waypoints as course points cuts several characters from the end of the names, and keeps just 10 characters

Since there are different rules of different Garmin products I tend to say it should not be done.

Not a big PITA, but something may be put in the list of items to be finetuned.
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Re: Using waypoints as course points

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:04 am

I've built the plugin so that course point names cannot be longer than 10 chars, no matter how they are created.
This is a restriction given in Garmin's TCX file schema ( http://developer.garmin.com/schemas/tcx ... nk05E22CE0 ).
Which means that the plugin MUST NOT put any longer course point names into course files.
Is there any indication that this restriction has been released?

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Using waypoints as course points

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:16 am

old_man_biking wrote:I've built the plugin so that course point names cannot be longer than 10 chars, no matter how they are created.
This is a restriction given in Garmin's TCX file schema ( http://developer.garmin.com/schemas/tcx ... nk05E22CE0 ).
Which means that the plugin MUST NOT put any longer course point names into course files.
Is there any indication that this restriction has been released?

Cheers,
OMB

I remembered that there is a limit of 14 chars, but maybe I was wrong and this threshold is for waypoints. Let me check. If I was wrong, I will be in silence, if I was right, I will make some noise in this thread. :-)
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Return to Waypoint and Courses