Downloads: 1,161 (12) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Jun 15, 2016

No GPS is shown in Export to Garmin / Show on Garmin

No GPS is shown in Export to Garmin / Show on Garmin

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Dear OMB,

I don't know why it stopped to work, but I can't export any courses to my Garmins. To be honest I can't see any of my units in Export to Garmin or Show on Garmin dialog boxes, neither the Ant Agent linked 310xt and 910xt, nor the USB cabled Edge 705. There is just either a forever lasting message of "initializing" or an empty dialog box without any feedback .

First I thought that the problem came from the earlier uninstall and reinstall of Ant Agent, but later I understood that something else was wrong, because Edge 705 should be a different story anyway.

I uninstalled and resinstalled W&C plugin, too, but before I installed the latest version of ST3, too. I tried really everything, plugged Ant Stick, plugged Ant2 stick, plugged Edge705, run Ant Agent, the contraposition of all of them and lots of combination of these.

Can the problem be linked to ST3's core Garmin GPS Plugin?
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Re: No GPS is shown in Export to Garmin / Show on Garmin

Postby Tisztul_A_Visztula » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:26 pm

I figure it out.

I had a brilliant idea to add a unit in GFD plugin, and the error message showed that there was some problem with some of the Garmin Communicator plugin, which was strange, because it perfectly worked in my internet browsers.

So I reinstalled GC plugin and voilá.

What is really strange was that Using GC plugin for import/export was not clicked in the setting menu of W&C plugin, so normally it should not be used, right?
Cheers,
Zoltan
Tisztul_A_Visztula

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:12 am

Slightly strange.
Garmin FIT Devices plugin should not have ANYTHING to do with Garmin Communicator plugin. I deliberately decided not to rely on this "fine piece of art" in GFD plugin.
And of course you're right: W&C should NOT use the unticked GC plugin.

CHeers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ksherman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Not sure if this is the same problem but I have a course to export to Edge 800. Export to Garmin produces a dialog box - Initializing Garmin. But nothing more than that. Yet the same device is perfectly visible to the Garmin Device import plugin. I exited the Export and kicked off an import in the hope that this would identify the device to W&C but no.
Is there any other device requirement to do the export? I have exported many times previously? I do have an SD card installed.
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:55 am

Hhm, there have been some issues with ST's activity import using Garmin Communicator plugin. Maybe it's a similar case.
Which IE version do you use?

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby ksherman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:10 am

Running IE8 on Win7 with GC 4.0.4.0, updating to 4.1.0.0 now. I didn't think that the GFD plug in used GC but instead used the file system? But I can update IE if you think that will help.
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:21 am

ksherman wrote:Running IE8 on Win7 with GC 4.0.4.0, updating to 4.1.0.0 now. I didn't think that the GFD plug in used GC but instead used the file system? But I can update IE if you think that will help.

Garmin FIT Devices plugin doesn't use Garmin Communicator plugin (GC). I wrote it quite some time after Waypoints and Courses and had learnt that GC is [polite mode on] not the most brilliant piece of software ever written. [polite mode off].
The recent problems that ST users had reported concerning activity import, IE and GC were related to IE 10, if I remember right. So better stay with IE 8 :)

Honestly, I don't have a clue what's causing your issues.
If GC makes trouble, you can always use the waypoint/course export to file into the "X:\New Files" directory of your edge.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Waypoint and Courses