by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,161 (12) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Jun 15, 2016

Elevation Correction

Elevation Correction

Postby dbrillha » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:07 pm

Still having a weird issue with Elevation. I rode a MTN BIKE trail with some (yeah, not a lot) of elevation change. The dark blue line is from my 910xt barometric sensor. I believe that profile, more than the SRTM data (the other lines). But it drifts. I ended up at the same place I started, and the END of the ride should have shown 70 feet (like the start). That is probably due to pressure change over the 4+ hours.

First, the "auto-compensate" so that start and finish end up at the same elevation doesn't seem to work for me.

Second, when I click on either "Edit=>ApplyElevationCorrection", or "Edit=>Elevation=>Add/FixElevation", it simply replaces my barometric profile with the SRTM without asking if I'd like to compensate the barometric data.

I'd really like to keep my barometric profile, but only if I can get it properly compensated so that start/finish are at the same elevation if I end up where I started.

The way Polar's S/W used to do this was simply an edit option that asked if they should set end elevation equal to start elevation. A better way might be to allow the user to enter the start and finish elevations (which would then work even if you didn't end where you started).

elev.jpg
dbrillha

Re: Elevation Correction

Postby dbrillha » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Well, not sure this matters, but I removed the workout, set the ELEVATION CORRECTION plugin to say: "Correct Elevation At Import", "Exclude Sources: 910xt".

Then, when I clicked on "Edit=>Elevation=>Add/FixElevation", it DID ask me if I wanted to compensate barometric data. And it seemed to average the START and STOP elevations and set both to the same.

Actually I know what the START is (70 feet), so I'd prefer the STOP elevation is set to the same as START, but that is a nit. It seems to be working for me now. Thanks!!!
dbrillha

Postby texmurphy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:43 am

Note that you could correct for the averaged start/stop elevation by using Edit->Data Tracks.
Select entire Elevation range and then move the full track to the 70 ft start.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dbrillha » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Thank you!! I didn't know I shift an entire track! Awesome

Actually - I don't see that option. I can only export to Excel, or remove data outside a range. Do you have a plugin that gives you more "edit" features?

Okay, figured it out! :-) Thanks again. Very cool.
dbrillha

Return to Waypoint and Courses