by old_man_biking

Downloads: 1,161 (12) • Reviews: 4

Version:

Updated:

Jun 15, 2016

Hangs when attempting elevation correction

Hangs when attempting elevation correction

Postby gary.r.c » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm trying the trial version of Waypoint and Courses and am attempting to use it to perform elevation corrections. Unfortunately, almost every time I try to use it, it either hangs during the correction process, or it appears to do nothing at all (no dialog, no change of elevation data). Oddly, I have data from a marathon I ran at a location approximately 1000 miles away from my hometown, and when I apply the elevation correction to that data set, the plug-in appears to work fine. I've tried applying the elevation correction to several different GPS data sets from runs near my home (collected using more than one type of device) and each time the plug-in hangs. So, perhaps the problem has something to do with the DEM data near my hometown? In the settings screen for Waypoint and Courses, it clearly shows SRTM 1" data as being downloaded into the cache. I've tried clearing the cache, and re-downloading the DEM data, restarting SportTracks, and even rebooting my system. No luck.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks.
gary.r.c

Re: Hangs when attempting elevation correction

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:35 pm

That really sounds as if the issue is specific for your home location.
Could you please export a .FITLOG file of one of the affected runs, zip and attach it to your post.
Which DEM models have you configured to use, SRTM 1'' ?

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gary.r.c » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Could you please export a .FITLOG file of one of the affected runs, zip and attach it to your post.

Here's an example file:
example.zip
Example fitlog file.
(28.62 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

Which DEM models have you configured to use, SRTM 1'' ?

Correct, SRTM 1" is the first entry in the "Elevation data sources" list.

Thanks.
gary.r.c

Postby old_man_biking » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:32 pm

Yes, in fact there is a gap in SRTM 1" and SRTM 3" data for that part of Florida. I suppose they didn't bother, because Florida is so flat :lol:
I don't really understand why this causes the plugin to hang.

It works well in my current development version, but I've changed some of the affected code. So that might have improved things.
--> it should work in the next version to be released

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gary.r.c » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:44 pm

Well, yes, Florida in general is pretty flat, but there are a few "hills" here and there! Unfortunately, elevation data recorded by my GPS devices does not accurately reflect the topography in the areas I run. Interestingly, when I export from SportTracks in GPX format, then use:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation

to "draw an elevation profile", the profile looks pretty reasonable (and much more like the actual topography than does my GPS-recorded elevation data which have only a loose connection to reality). On the GPS Visualizer page noted above, it states:

(Speaking of gaps, there are a few in NASA's data, and that's unavoidable. ... If your data is in the U.S., you may want to try the NED data, which is gap-free.)

So, I'm wondering if GPS Visualizer is falling back on NED data when it finds gaps in the SRTM data. In Waypoint and Courses, I don't see any means of selecting alternate DEM data sources (e.g., NED data). Any plans for possibly adding such a feature in the future (for those of us who live in data gaps!)?

Thanks.
gary.r.c

Postby old_man_biking » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:12 am

Hhm, I haven't found any source where I can download NED DEM data.
The one official platform that I found ( http://nationalmap.gov/viewer.html ) doesn't work for me.

Can you provide a working download location for NED data files?
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gary.r.c » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Can you provide a working download location for NED data files?

This area isn't my specialty, so I'm not sure where the NED data files can be obtained. I assume your plugin downloads STRM files in .hgt.zip format? I was able to download a NED data file in ArcGrid format but I doubt that this helps very much since it's not the same format as SRTM files. Furthermore, I'm not sure how this is accomplished programatically. This link:

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... -ned-tiles

appears to suggest that accessing the NED data programmatically has changed recently (in 2012).

It works well in my current development version, but I've changed some of the affected code. So that might have improved things.
--> it should work in the next version to be released

Any estimate as to when this new version might be released?

Until then, looks like I'm out of luck (and uninstalling the trial version).

Thanks.
gary.r.c

Postby texmurphy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:29 pm

The Elevation Correct Plugin refers to NED data files in its discussion notes.
Elevation Correct Plugin wrote:This plugin corrects the elevation of GPS tracks using SRTM elevation data, which is automatically downloaded from the official SRTM download server. The plugin can also download enhanced SRTM data from Viewfinder Panoramas where available. In addition, custom elevation data provided by the user can be used for elevation correction. (Users in the United States seeking the most accurate elevation correction are encouraged to use National Elevation Dataset (NED) data, which can be downloaded from the National Map Viewer.) All available digital elevation models are listed on the plugin settings page, and the priority between them can be changed. There is an option to automatically correct data at import, plus an option to exclude selected sources from automatic correction, and an option to download elevation data covering all activities in the logbook, so that no further downloads will be needed to correct the activities. The latest version of the plugin also adds a pointer mode where you can click on the map to view the corresponding elevation (click on Edit and change to Elevation to enable), and an optional activity detail page for comparing elevations (enable from the plugin settings page).

If you wish to use custom elevation data, you will also need to install the GDAL plugin.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:10 am

@texmurphy:
Thanks for these info. Unfortunately whenever I try the "National Map Server" link, my browser hangs. Tried on several PCs with different browsers, tried with a web proxy located in the US. No way.

@Gary:
I send you a PM. I can send you a development version of the W&C plugin that adds yet another source of elevation data (CGIAR = post processed SRTM data) which has the SRTM gaps filled out. Your area in Florida is now covered.

OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gary.r.c » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:27 pm

texmurphy:

The Elevation Correct Plugin refers to NED data files in its discussion notes.

Thanks. I'd tried the Elevation Correction Plugin earlier, but only with auto-loaded SRTM data. It "hung" similarly to the Waypoint and Courses plugin, probably due to the gap in the SRTM data. However, based on your suggestion, I went back and used the National Map Viewer to download the NED data (in GridFloat format) for my area in Florida. That data, plus the Elevation Correct Plugin plus the GDAL plugin produced corrected elevation results that look great.

OMB:

I can send you a development version of the W&C plugin that adds yet another source of elevation data (CGIAR = post processed SRTM data) which has the SRTM gaps filled out. Your area in Florida is now covered

I responded by PM with my email address. I'd be happy to test the new version with the CGIAR data if that would be helpful.

Thanks to both of you for your help.
Gary
gary.r.c

Return to Waypoint and Courses