by mechgt

Downloads: 3,261 (5) • Reviews: 3

Version:

Updated:

Jan 31, 2012

Plug-in concept: Gear Indicater

Postby texmurphy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:18 am

mechgt wrote:v0.5 posted:

This includes some improvements to the data shown in the table, and some bugfixes (particularly for activities with data tracks that don't necessarily line up with one another.)

The table data's still not 100% perfect, but it's getting there... too much stuff going on outside of ST lately :shock:

v0.5 seems to correct the ST error that I reported above.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby 7270martin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:44 pm

PissedOffCil wrote:You should be able to update within ST

Sorry for my ignorance. Works good. Thanks for solving the grade in % issue.

EDIT:
Just noted that columns can now be sorted by min/max (by clicking at the header). Very cool!

EDIT 2:
I get the following error when selecting an edge 705-file (not merged with anything). The graph works fine, but when creating the table the error appears. With another edge 705-file, this error doesn't occur.

Informationen über das Aufrufen von JIT-Debuggen
anstelle dieses Dialogfelds finden Sie am Ende dieser Meldung.

************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
bei GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearStats.AddTimeAverage(INumericTimeDataSeries series, Single avgValue, DateTime time, Int32 elapsedSecs, Int32 lastSecs)
bei GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearStats..ctor(INumericTimeDataSeries gearTrack, Single gear, IActivity activity)
bei GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearChartDetail.RefreshTree()
bei GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearChartDetail.RefreshPage()
bei GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearChartPage.set_Activity(IActivity value)
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.ActivityDetailPagesPanel.set_Activity(IActivity value)
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.ActivityDetailPanel.ShowActivity(IActivity activity)
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.Daily.MainWindow.RefreshSelectedActivityDetails()
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.Daily.MainWindow.treeActivitiesList_SelectedChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.TreeList.OnSelectedChanged()
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.TreeList.set_Selected(IList value)
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.Daily.MainWindow.SelectTreeRowFromCalendarSelection()
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.Daily.MainWindow.Calendar_SelectedChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Controls.SideBar.calendar_DayClick(Object sender, DayClickEventArgs e)
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.Calendar.OnDayClick(DayClickEventArgs e)
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.Calendar.ClickDay(Point ptMouse)
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.Calendar.OnClick_ModeCalendar(EventArgs e)
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.Calendar.OnClick(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
7270martin
Donated!
Donated!

Postby fishyweb » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:55 am

Coming to the party a bit late here but - where can I find this plugin? Had a quick scan through this thread, but didn't spot any download link...
Steve
Using Garmin FR 230 for running, and Garmin Edge 820 (with cad, power and HR) for cycling
fishyweb
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dirk66 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:31 am

fishyweb wrote:Coming to the party a bit late here but - where can I find this plugin? Had a quick scan through this thread, but didn't spot any download link...

found it somewhere in the tread:

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Plugins/plugin_download.php?id=121

regards
Dirk
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:57 am

7270martin wrote:Sorry for my ignorance. Works good. Thanks for solving the grade in % issue.

What grade % issue??? I think mechgt re-used most of my Filtered Statistics code for the graph so this might also be in my plugin...
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:38 am

PissedOffCil wrote:
7270martin wrote:Sorry for my ignorance. Works good. Thanks for solving the grade in % issue.

What grade % issue??? I think mechgt re-used most of my Filtered Statistics code for the graph so this might also be in my plugin...

Nope, I was showing bad data in the table... that's what he was referring to.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:48 am

mechgt wrote:Nope, I was showing bad data in the table... that's what he was referring to.

Ok cool!
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:46 pm

I plan to be releasing an update to Gears in just a few days that will associate gear settings with a specific bike (equipment). This will allow people to have separate settings for a road bike and a mountain bike for instance.

One of the side effects of this is that you'll lose your old settings on the update, and you'll have to re-enter them. Started to make something to migrate these... but it was more trouble than it was worth. Anyway, take a moment to record your gear settings somewhere so you can re-enter them after the upgrade.

Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:31 am

Hi mechgt,

I've installed the latest version 0.5.1 and was wondering that all gears are still there and I cannot assign the gears to a equipement as anounced before.
Anyhow I've get a jit debugging error, see first lines here:

System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
bei GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearStats.AddTimeAverage(INumericTimeDataSeries series, Single avgValue, DateTime time, Int32 elapsedSecs, Int32 lastSecs)
bei GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearStats..ctor(INumericTimeDataSeries gearTrack, Single gear, IActivity activity)
bei GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearChartDetail.RefreshTree()
bei GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearChartDetail.RefreshPage()
bei GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearChartPage.ShowPage(String bookmark)

I couldn't get the plugin to work. Half an hour ago
I had no problems with same activity with version 0.5
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby DavidCHall » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:42 am

Discovered this today: This is a really cool plug-in: Thanks for the great work.

BTW: I started this thread 28 Oct 2007: This is much better than I ever envisaged!!!
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:06 am

Just released v0.6 which allows equipment to be associated with gears. As a recommendation, think about which piece of equipment you assign your gear setup to. For instance, I've got a trainer, and use a different rear wheel, which has a different cassette on it. Thus if I assign gear setup to my road bike, it'll be wrong when I stick it on my trainer... so I assigned gear settings to my wheelset instead. This is just my situation, but I suggest you think about it for just a second so you don't have to go back and change it.

@Stumpjumper68: Check this activity again and PM me if your error persists. I think I found a typo that was causing your error and fixed it. I got the same thing on an activity or two.

DavidCHall wrote:Discovered this today: This is a really cool plug-in: Thanks for the great work.

BTW: I started this thread 28 Oct 2007: This is much better than I ever envisaged!!!

Thanks!!!

P.S. - This plugin has been opened and is posted to Google Code:
http://code.google.com/p/stgearchart/

Thanks to Trails plugin and Filtered Statistics for various parts of the code that went into this!!! Thanks guys!!!
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby DavidCHall » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:41 am

mechgt wrote:@Stumpjumper68: Check this activity again and PM me if your error persists. I think I found a typo that was causing your error and fixed it. I got the same thing on an activity or two.

Got a few errors previously that I can no longer reproduce.
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Postby DavidCHall » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:15 pm

See here for an interesting and perhaps unexpected application.
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:28 pm

For some, but not all, activities I get the following error:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearStats..ctor(INumericTimeDataSeries gearTrack, Single gear, IActivity activity)
at GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearChartDetail.RefreshTree()
at GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearChartDetail.RefreshPage()
at GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearChartPage.set_Activity(IActivity value)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.ActivityDetailPagesPanel.set_Activity(IActivity value)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.ActivityDetailPanel.ShowActivity(IActivity activity)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.Daily.MainWindow.RefreshSelectedActivityDetails()
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.Daily.MainWindow.treeActivitiesList_SelectedChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.TreeList.OnSelectedChanged()
at ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.TreeList.set_Selected(IList value)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.TreeList.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:17 pm

@Stumpjumper68: Check this activity again and PM me if your error persists. I think I found a typo that was causing your error and fixed it. I got the same thing on an activity or two.

Problem is solved with v0.6, many thanks also for showing now the excat gears together with the ratio.

Just one point, why do I see only positve grade % as I know I've driven the same amount down? Therefore some no's should be negative.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm

While I "almost" never cross chain with 39-12 (chainring-cog) or 39-13, and rarely cross chain with 53-27 I am finding the chart showing these gears selected for miles at a time on a recent ride (see image below).
* how about a "crossed chain" button which might force a change in sensitivity or analysis?

* Missing from the chart, but interesting, would be a line for "Coasting".

texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:10 pm

I'm interested in putting cross-chain 'stuff' in there (as I too hate to do that), but first I need to do a little homework on validating the data returned before I'll trust it. For sure there's error in here; the data input here is pretty noisy. What you're seeing as 'raw data' has been smoothed a bit (10 sec at the moment), otherwise it's ridiculous. Anyway, data validation is the next big step, and hopefully find some ways to make it more accurate. I've got a couple test files already with expected gears documented, but need to do some more testing.

If anyone is interested in helping...

This could be done on a trainer by changing gears at a specific time interval (not distance). Doesn't matter what your cadence is, fast slow whatever, but don't stop pedaling; it'll be better data if your drivetrain is always engaged.

The trick is however to somehow record exactly what gear you are in at what time (front & back of course). I tried to do this myself on a trainer, and turns out the looked like it was offset at some point, and I lost track of which gear I was in; so now I've got to retest.

Maybe email me a an activity fitlog with expected gears and times documented somewhere (see email button below).
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby DavidCHall » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:34 pm

mechgt wrote:If anyone is interested in helping...

This could be done on a trainer by changing gears at a specific time interval (not distance). Doesn't matter what your cadence is, fast slow whatever, but don't stop pedaling; it'll be better data if your drivetrain is always engaged.

I have some data that might be interesting:

I use, almost daily, a stationary exercise bike: To record my training I use my Garmin Edge 705 (and earlier activities with my Edge 305) with heart rate and GPS off. To record speed I added a GSC10 to the bike, and positioned magnets on the pedal crank and flywheel: Effectively speed and cadence.

So what I have is a large amount of data on what is effectively a fixed gear bike, where the gear selected is constant by definition. Freewheel time is absolutely zero: Apart from the odd second or two at startup (although even here this is unusual because I generally "get going" at least, and generally "warm up" before I start recording.

There is a further advantage in that you have accurate speed: Derived from the GSC10, rather than the GPS (which introduces further errors).

Speed and cadence does vary quite a lot, as expected. The m/rev varies from almost 6.0 to 6.5: A full gear in 10 speed terms!!!
Last edited by DavidCHall on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Postby DavidCHall » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:38 pm

mechgt wrote:The trick is however to somehow record exactly what gear you are in at what time (front & back of course).

At some point I experimented with a data recorder that recorded the gear shift positions (Shimino have swtiches installed, all you need is a way to time log the switch settings).

The whole thing was too bulky to ride with (data card, power supply, laptop), but if this can be set up again trainer data is possible.
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:40 am

@DCH: Great, thanks. I believe I have a test logbook from you a while back, and presume these activities to be included in the logbook. I'll have a look at it.

v0.6.1 released to correct tex's error. Somehow I'm having a horrible time with these data tracks that don't line up... :oops:
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby DavidCHall » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:08 am

mechgt wrote:@DCH: Great, thanks. I believe I have a test logbook from you a while back, and presume these activities to be included in the logbook. I'll have a look at it.

Indeed you do: Look in the "Exercises / Gym" category, and pick any activity... Have sent you a .fitlog file already with a few selected activities anyway.

mechgt wrote:v0.6.1 released to correct tex's error. Somehow I'm having a horrible time with these data tracks that don't line up... :oops:

The data I've sent would, one would expect, give an absolutely straight line: But no such luck!!! Far from it!!!

The challenge of how to more elegently manage this reality is another matter...

At an early stage I spent some time (when I first proposed the Gear concept) looking at this, and playing with the data (I tend to do this in Excel just because it's easy): Needless to say I didn't solve the problem...

Some ideas, that may help, are:

1. Blacklist some gear combinations: Either at setting level, or activity, or both. This eliminates clearly daft options. (ie total chain cross which most of us never use)
2. More complex: When looking at the next logical gear try and favour the simplist shift rather than the best ratio. (Which might lead to other problems when you choose wrongly, and then tend to "lock" on the wrong ring)

Suggestion:

The addition of a histogram might be interesting: Which would give some idea which ratios we spend most of our time using. (I already know this tends to favour the "middle" gears, but where this differs from expected it provides new information)

BTW: It's always amazing how an apparently simple challenge can become so complicated!!! This is already a great addition to ST, and provides information not easily available previously: But that doesn't stop the search for ultimate perfection apparently!!!
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Postby 7270martin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:19 pm

Thanks for adding the option for serveral bikes. However, I have some problems.

I wanted to enter two bikes:

1. a MTB with 22/32/44 and 9 gears (cassette)
2. an indoor bike with 1 chain ring and 28 gears (cassette).

I entered all gear information for both bikes and saved my logbook. Starting ST again, I have the gears of the indoor bike also in my MTB gear settings. The chain ring data of my MTB is correct, but the rear gears are the same as I entered for the indoor bike.
7270martin
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:32 pm

mechgt wrote:v0.6.1 released to correct tex's error. Somehow I'm having a horrible time with these data tracks that don't line up... :oops:

Hmm, still getting error with v0.6.1, yet even though I have downloaded v0.6.1, ST Settings claims that it is v0.6 and a new version 0.6.1 is available.
Also, can you change the download to include the version number in the filename. (e.g. GearChart 0.6.1.st2plugin)

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearStats..ctor(INumericTimeDataSeries gearTrack, Single gear, IActivity activity)
at GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearChartPage.ShowPage(String bookmark)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Controls.PageSelectorBanner.ShowCurrentPage()
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Controls.PageSelectorBanner.ShowPage(IDialogPage page)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Controls.PageSelectorBanner.Menu_Select(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:41 pm

Sorry 'bout that, not sure why it didn't upload, I know I sent it. Anyway, it should be updated now to v0.6.2

I've moved everything over to the Google Code site, including the downloads, so the version number will be included in the filename from here out.

New release changes:
- Image save button fixed
- Option to show/hide estimated gear series (blue line)
- bugfixes that didn't make it out on the last go 'round
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:41 am

Installed v0.6.2
The first display of the graph is in compressed form and has to be resized; and
v0.6.2 works on more of my activities, but I still get exceptions on some. Example fitlog sent to your email.
The graph will update but the chart won't display (update) and faults with:
at GearChart.UI.DetailPage.GearChartPage.set_Activity(IActivity value)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.ActivityDetailPagesPanel.set_Activity(IActivity value)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.ActivityDetailPanel.ShowActivity(IActivity activity)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.Daily.MainWindow.RefreshSelectedActivityDetails()
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.Activities.Daily.MainWindow.treeActivitiesList_SelectedChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.TreeList.OnSelectedChanged()
at ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.TreeList.set_Selected(IList value)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.TreeList.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Selection