Downloads: 3,377 (5) • Reviews: 3

Version:

Updated:

Jan 31, 2012

Duplication of data

Duplication of data

Postby pierrot » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Hi
I've tried to use the plugin in the evaluation mode, but even if the results doesn't fit with the reality (It shows a 40x12 period which has not been)
During this ride I mostly used 50x17 and 50x15 (which is not in the list)

But the major concern is that a period is duplicated as you can see on the picture.
I've done a 135 km ride and the total given by th eplugin is 169.
Yhe total %duration and % distance is more thant 100%!

Pierrot
pierrot

Re: Duplication of data

Postby mechgt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:16 pm

40x12 and 50x15 is the exact same gear ratio (3.33). There's no way for the plugin to differentiate between the two. This appears to be the source of the duplicate entry. I'll investigate this.

So.... 50x15 isn't showing up because of the duplicate gear ratio mentioned above. The totals are off by approximately the same amount as the duplicate entry. Remove the duplicate, and it's very close to 100%.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby pierrot » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi,

I think there is a simple (in theory) way to differentiate 50x15 and 40x12, depending on the previous gear used.
You will never use 40*12 coming from 50*17 or 50 14, you will use 50x15.

It is easy to say (to write in this case), but I don't know of it is so easy to implement in the plugin.

Another thing, I've just seen now (I don't know if it is a normal behavior) but the plugin is selectable from the "activity of the day" part but nothing is show.
The results are shown with the plugin when you select it from the report part of ST3

An enhancement which can be nice is to have a kind of colorization of the workout with a color associated to the gear, or when you click on the workout to know the gear used at this location.

Pierrot
pierrot

Postby mechgt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:31 pm

See new version 1.0.3 to address duplicate listings when 2 gear combinations have the same ratio.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:52 am

pierrot wrote:Hi,

I think there is a simple (in theory) way to differentiate 50x15 and 40x12, depending on the previous gear used.
You will never use 40*12 coming from 50*17 or 50 14, you will use 50x15.

It is easy to say (to write in this case), but I don't know of it is so easy to implement in the plugin.

Probably not easy, but more importantly not sure it's completely accurate. I very often shift both front and rear almost simultaneously, because shifting the front causes a large jump in gear ratio, so to make a smaller step change, I'll shift both, and from past discussions with others I believe this is fairly typical.
pierrot wrote:Another thing, I've just seen now (I don't know if it is a normal behavior) but the plugin is selectable from the "activity of the day" part but nothing is show.
The results are shown with the plugin when you select it from the report part of ST3

This is most likely because the activity you selected didn't have the proper information for generating a gear chart, maybe it was missing the cadence data for example. There's no difference in selecting from Report view vs. Daily Activity view.
pierrot wrote:An enhancement which can be nice is to have a kind of colorization of the workout with a color associated to the gear, or when you click on the workout to know the gear used at this location.

Good idea, I like it. I logged your suggestion, maybe this will make it into a future release :)
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby pierrot » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:40 pm

HI,

Thak you for this new release, but it still remains a duplication in the table even if the final summarizations are quite good.
If you sort by gear or distance, you will see it.
Either I can post a picture if you want?

I'm a little bit surprised about the fact that you can envisage to change from 50x17 to 40x12.
From one gear you have direct neignbours on the rear which are closer thant the one with switching both front and rear.
I mostly ride on the big plate.
I use the 40 only if I've to climb, most of the time I'm using th 50 and moving +1/2 -1/2 on the rear depending on yhe wind and depending on the road.
It is my way of riding, but as you said it doesn't seem to be be the most popular one!

Nevertheless my view is that for each gear you can sort the others with a static ranking fonction to get the used gear from one position

For example knowing that we have a 40/50 on the front and a 11/12/13/14/15/17/19/21/24/28 on the rear, If we say that we start from 50*17 which is 6.16 you can say that if thanks to the cadence data and speed you calculaue that the next gear is 6.99 using a decision table for 6.16-50*17 you will find that 50x15 is int he first position (1R+0F) to reach 6.99 and 40x12 is (5R+1F)

Such a table is easy to build when you have been given the setup data, if you want, I can send one for this example (40/50 on the front and a 11/12/13/14/15/17/19/21/24/28 )

My raw data are coming from a Garmin Edge 500 with a cadence sensor, so according to what you wrote, the data should be there?

Pierrot
pierrot

Postby pierrot » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi

Here is a copy of the duplicated line

About computing a more accurate gear.
Starting from one gear you can use a table like this which is really easy to built and is only depending on the number of front sprockets and rear cog
With this table starting from 50x17 (6.16), if you find as the next gear a 6.99 meters bracket, you will have the choice between 50x15 and 40x12 and you will get 1 for the 50x15 gear and 5 for the 40x12.
So as 1 is smaller than 5, it means that 50x15 is closer than 40x12 and that it is more probably this gar thaht has been selected just after the 50x17. 5i'm quite sure that anubody will play 5 times with his changer if he can do it i 1 step!)

And in more you have the information that 40x12 gear is one that has to be avoided due to the fact that you cros the chain (avoiding smal front sprocket- smal rear cog)

You can easily build a table like this with

F: number of Front chainwheels
R : number of Rear gears
i from 1 to FxR
j from 1 to FxR

For each i in 1 to FxR i=2x(F-1)+R
For each j in 1 to FxR
T[i,j] = abs(Ri-Rj)+abs(Fi-Fj)

Pierrot
pierrot

Return to Gear Selection