by mechgt

Downloads: 5,344 (9) • Reviews: 2

Version:

Updated:

Jun 23, 2012

Record Book Plugin Question

Record Book Plugin Question

Postby Ericular » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:59 pm

First off, I love this plugin - there's just one thing that puzzles me.

How is the overall distance calculated for the "My Distance Records"?

Here's an example:

I ran my first 13.1 mile training run.

I was excited for this new run to show up under the "Half Marathon" category I created and set to 13.1 miles.

However, I couldn't get the "Half Marathon" category to appear - as if the plugin isn't sensing that I indeed ran a 13.1 mile run.

So I go to the "My Extremes" page and check out the run distance: 13.09947 miles. Hmmm... I thought the plugin handled this situation OK for other shorter runs (distance just shy of the setting), but just to be safe I change my definition of a Half Marathon to "13.09". Restart SportTracks to refresh.... but still nothing. I try 13.08, 13.07 - but I eventually have to get down to 13.04 before it registers the run.

So, I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong. On the My Extremes page it sees the run as 13.09, but won't show up as a defined run until I go down to 13.04.

Does the plugin calculate the "My Extreme" distance differently than the "Distance Record" distances?

Thanks for your help!
Ericular
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:15 pm

(This is just off the top of my head, and it's been a little while since I've looked at the code)

Short answer: They are different

Yeah, the Extremes tab should match exactly what ST says in the other views. Record Book doesn't do any calculations for this.

The Distance category however analyzes each activity point by point and finds the fastest subset within the activity. For instance, you'd have a 13.1 mile record for your full marathon, but not for a 10k. This distance is calculated.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Ericular » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. That makes sense.

I do remember that I had set my watch for 13 miles (at which point it stops), and then decided to start it up right away again to cover the final .1 miles. I wonder if this "break in the action" is causing the Distance category to not see the 13.1 miles as being contiguous. I'll play around with it some more and I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the info.

Donation headed your way for this great plugin. Love it.
Ericular
Donated!
Donated!

Postby RecceDG » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:46 am

I've got a question about how this plugin works, because as far as I can tell, it's borked.

The way I expect this to work is that for each distance for which records are being kept, for each activity that passes the filter and is equal to or longer than the distance being checked, analyze all possible segments of the activity matching the record distance.

Once the fastest segment within the activity matching the record distance is found, record the time/speed for that segment and push the activity on a stack.

Once all activities have been processed, sort the stack.

However, I'm seeing some VERY strange results, especially at shorter distances... For example, in a 40km "practice crit" that has laps 2km long, where some laps have average speeds ~ 37km/h, the plugin indicates no 2km segment exceeding 27km/h.

And somehow slower activities are ranking higher than known faster ones.

DG
RecceDG
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:16 am

I'm in the process of upgrading it to SportTracks version 3 and cleaning it out quite a bit. If you like, you can send me a fitlog of your activity in question (see email link below) with details of exactly what's wrong and I'll try to make sure it's resolved in the next release.

Not sure that I'm aware of your particular issue right now, the biggest bug I know of is around dates sometimes showing up wrong... like 01/01/0001 and that's definitely on the list to fix for upcoming release.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby RecceDG » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:19 pm

OK, yeah, this plugin is completely borked. I've had a chance to examine some data in more detail and the results from the plugin make no sense at all.

Example: Did the MS Bike Ride this weekend. Day 2 ride was 75km done in 2hrs 24min for an average speed of 31.3 km/h. Record Book entry for 30km on this event says 13 km/h and segement time of 2 hrs 11 min.

Does the plugin expect activity names to be unique?

Or maybe it is choking on auto-pauses?

DG
RecceDG
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Francois57640 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:43 am

Where can i DL this plugin ?

Thanks
Francois57640
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:49 am

Download Link (ST2 only at the moment):
http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTr ... php?id=120

Example: Did the MS Bike Ride this weekend. Day 2 ride was 75km done in 2hrs 24min for an average speed of 31.3 km/h. Record Book entry for 30km on this event says 13 km/h and segement time of 2 hrs 11 min.

As mentioned just a post or two ago, email me a fitlog of a problem activity and description and I'll be happy to look at it and correct any issues found for ST3.
Last edited by mechgt on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby RecceDG » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:25 am

Ack on the email.

I'm not sure though if a subset of my db will generate the problem... and I'm not keen on sending you my entire db.

Lemme see what I can do.

DG
RecceDG
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:41 am

No no, just export an activity to a fitlog and send me a single activity. Be sure to describe what you're seeing and what you'd expect to see or what's wrong with it (sometimes it's not always obvious since I'm not already familiar with the activity).
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby RecceDG » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:07 pm

Sent.

DG
RecceDG
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Keeby » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:26 am

Why do none of my treadmill runs, which obviously have no routes or gps allocated to them not show up in the distances tab? They are visible in both the extremes and the rankings.
Keeby
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:51 am

if they don't have any distance track information with them, then they're currently not included in the distance records. I guess you're manually entering distance & time and want those included?
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Keeby » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:00 am

They were imported from my nike+ account but looking at the imports they are basically the same as a manual input. So I guess it would be nice if possible for manually inputted records to be recognised.
Keeby
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:02 am

Good idea. Will put that on the TODO list :)
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:03 pm

mechgt wrote:Good idea. Will put that on the TODO list :)

1++

Great especially for older workouts without GPS 8)
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Missing charts in ST3 version

Postby camel » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:43 am

I don't know if it's only my problem.

But in ST2 version of this plugin there were charts associated with every activity from record book.

For example in Distance tab.

Now in ST3 version, I don't see chart. It's only empty windows witch chart controls.

Peter
camel
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:52 am

Nope, not just you. I already found this and will be posting an update shortly. I think this was broken in the migration to ST3, but no worries... it'll be fixed in the next release.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:38 pm

v1.1.4 posted with fixes for comparison chart and a few other minor bugfixes.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby RecceDG » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:45 am

Didn't the charts used to do overlays; eg, select more than one event and it would overlay them so you could see where they differed?

It would be good if they did.

EDIT: This feature is there for events that use speed (like cycling) but appears not to work for events that use pace (like running)

Also: I've found a couple of events where the slower event's speed trace is consistently faster than the faster event's trace - like the whole way along. So either the speed calculation is off, or the traces are being displayed on different axis.

It would also be good to be able to display a differential time chart that showed how far ahead/behind one event was compared to another.

DG
RecceDG
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Keeby » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:16 am

Are there any plans to let the Record Book recognise manually added entries? I think it would really be of benefit.

Keith
Keeby
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:35 am

Yes, it's on the list. I suppose you're thinking of specifically the distance records... e.g. old races you may have run before you got a GPS device. Anyway, yes, it's on the list.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby RecceDG » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:11 pm

Just caught another error with V1.14 - the sorting/ranking is slightly off. All times that are (say) 33:xx are grouped together, but the order in the xx portion is wrong.

My top 30km times are:

1. 49:46
2. 49:35
3. 40:44
4. 50:43
5. 51:07
6. 51:04

etc.

DG
RecceDG
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:23 pm

Thanks for the report... it's been added to the list to investigate.
Last edited by mechgt on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Are the distances the exact same? Depending on how close your GPS points are in recording, the distances are as close as I can get to the record. The point is, that sometimes the distances will vary slightly, and the record rank is based on best speed/pace, not total time. I'm looking through mine right now and it looks ok.

Notice the Total Time in the display below is 'out of order', but that's because the distance is slightly different. The speed is in order and as expected.

mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Next

Return to Record Book