Downloads: 5,344 (9) • Reviews: 2

Version:

Updated:

Jun 23, 2012

Best Way to set up

Best Way to set up

Postby the5krunner » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:39 am

Like everyone I have my little routes that I like to get PBs on

The instructions seem to suggest a good way to set up wold be to have sub-categories eg Running > Race, such as 10k, 5k, Marathon,. FAIR ENOUGH

I have >5 years of data and what I do is
Category Running: Race
Name: BushyParkParkrun

or similar. ie I am working off the Name field

Q1. Will this work?...I guess I can change it but it will be an hour's slog
Q2. Especially for my cycle TT PBs I just press the start button when I leave home and the lap button at the start of a lap of my local park and then the lap button and the end of each lap. Can it handle this included warmup period? in effect I want a record **ACTIVE** lap
Q3 linking to Q2. so my Richmond Park PBs would be a 1 lap, a 2 lap and a 3 lap. At one point one particular 'TT' held all 3 records. Can it handle this.

I'm quite happy to put a bit of time into this I would just like some feedback if possible to point me on how to do what I do a bit better!
----------------------------
tfk
http://the5krunner.com
the5krunner

Re: Best Way to set up

Postby ksherman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:00 pm

I have asked this question previously and the answer seemed to be that ST doesn't really cater for this thought process. Yes plugins like Trails or Unique Routes can compare your current activity time to previous attempts. The problem with that is you have to find a relevant activity first. But from the view of "What's your PB on Mt Gravatt" there is nothing. It always seemed to me that in the Routes view you should be able to create a route, and from that route see how many times you had completed it, fastest, slowest, average times etc.
If the route was the entire workout then you could go with naming, and filter on the name in the reports view, summary line has minimum against a custom field. To get that to work with laps though means that you need to split workouts based on laps and that just screws up a different statistic, how many workouts did I complete this week.
I have added a custom field to the routes and record a PB in there manually but it could do much more. The success of Strava is really based entirely on the fact that this is an important vanity statistic.
Keith Sherman
Garmin Edge 800, Garmin Fenix3
Trek Domane 2016
Specialized Roubaix SL3 '11
Specialized Epic '15
ksherman
Donated!
Donated!

Postby stavros » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:59 pm

ksherman wrote:But from the view of "What's your PB on Mt Gravatt" there is nothing.

Maybe I missed something, but have you tried using the Trails plugin? It specifically answers the question 'What's my PB on xxx'? Just predefine a trail (a series of GPS points), filter activities to those that are broadly relevant, and select the predfined reference 'Trail'. It doesn't meet all the5krunner's requirements around identifying 'multiple lap' PBs, but then again I don't think Strava does either.

I included an example report in a recent post.
http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12652#p70646
stavros
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:44 am

You should use the trails plugin in combination with calculated fields plugin. Follow the link to see the trail feature wiki: http://code.google.com/p/calculatedfiel ... /Tutorial4
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Record Book