by hn

Downloads: 2,336 (3) • Reviews: 0

Version:

Updated:

Jul 29, 2011

New plugin - Matrix - available for SportTracks

New plugin - Matrix - available for SportTracks

Postby hn » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:36 am

Matrix enables you to show details between regular visited GPS positions for one or more of your activities. It is ideal to compare similar tracks (e.g. cycling to and from work), and presents these data in a nice formatted matrix.

You can choose between displaying your fastest trips, slowest trips or median trips. You can have one or more groups of GPS positions, so you can easily switch between different distances that you want to compare. Move the mouse over the cell (tooltip) to see all other results between these GPS points. The context menu enables you to copy the tooltip or the entire matrix to the clipboard, and you can paste it into Excel, Homepage or your blog.

The source code is also available at Matrix on CodePlex

Hope you like this PlugIn. It would be great to get some feedback on it, and make some other developer that would like to contribute to build this into even more useful plugin.
hn

Postby gerhard » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:01 pm

A get started guide and screenshots would be nice....

What is the thought behind it compared to UniqueRoutes? (Only to use start/end and ignore intermediate points?)

I edited the xml preferences file. However, I only get occasional results, also when checking all activities. I expect to see some more activities....
For one day with a back/forward activity, I get results in the Activity page, but from the Edit menu I only get one way.

The "difference" is the default 100m, cannot be extended.
In some ways it is easier having a separate file compared to entering the points in ST Settings as it is easy to mark a point in a route to see the location (but back/forward isOK as well).
There is a Activities->Test menu option, what will it do?
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby mazoaguirre » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:47 pm

i agreed with most of gerhard post, i just get messy results, for one activitie, or for whole logbook

the how to do will be nice
FR 310 and Foot Pod, Edge 500 and Cadence Sensor, GoPro HD 960
mazoaguirre.com
mazoaguirre
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby DavidCHall » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:25 pm

Firstly: Congratulations on your first plugin ST plugin release. It's always great to see a new approach with fresh ideas and concepts. Thanks for releasing your source to the community: While I've not yet taken a look (at the source) I'm sure your work will be of assistance to myself and others still struggling with C# concepts and the ST API.

While your approach certainly tackles the same area undertaken by Unique Routes the path you have taken is certainly differant, and hence I don't see this as competitive: Sometimes a it's nice to be able to choose between similar tools to get the job done!!!

Having edited the XML file I get a similar mixed bag of results to previous post: I suspect the real problem is that I've not figured out what I should be entering and hence am unlikely to find logical answers: A few words on how the "Point Name" locations should be selected may solve my problem.

Thanks again for the excellent contribution...
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mazoaguirre » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:06 pm

I'm sure your work will be of assistance to myself and others still struggling with C# concepts and the ST API.

yes for me too, i am very frustated that i cant do nothing, but with your code, i can play around to see if i just get some data, and the try to work on my idea for a plugin

thnks to release the code, and yes if you help us to undertand what we expect and hot to set the parameters will help more
mazoaguirre.com
mazoaguirre
Contributor!
Contributor!

Yes, it is beta - Appreciate your help

Postby hn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:34 am

First, I would like to thank you for your responses, and I am sorry for the bugs and the difficulties for getting this plugin running. It is working at my computer :o
Seriously, I really appreciate that you tests this, and help me get it up and running and improve the plugin.

I have fixed some bugs, including the 100meter limitation. The new release, 0.1.4.0, is posted on http://www.codeplex.com/matrix/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx

I have written a getting started guide which is available at http://www.codeplex.com/matrix

In the release archive I have also added some screen shots and two of my .GPS files, which can be imported in SportTracks to display how the plugin will work without any changes in the preferences.xml

BTW: I want to make a user control for editing the positions, but it will take me some hours (or more) and I wanted to get some feedback on the plugin before doing all that (boring but really useful) stuff.

I would appreciate if you can read the guide, and test the new release. Looking forward to more feedbacks.

Yes, I know there are things that are not good enough handle - e.g. multiple laps on the same track in one activity and some more. But maybe someone else want to contribute to the further development of this plugin. The project is running on CodePlex, and the complete code is there!

I also see these as an alternative to unique routes, and thinking about adding functionality to get the activities from unique routes.[/url]
hn

Postby trell » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:50 am

Hi HN,
thanks a lot for your new big efforts.
I tried your plugin, but not see under settings, and in menù.
I donwload your souce code, i am not expert in programming, and i tried to compile: result 69 errors, 6 advice.

thanks for any advice
trell

Linking SportTracks dll

Postby hn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:32 am

Plugin not visible
Go to SportTracks settings. Matrix should be listed in the list of Plugins. If not click on System in the menu Settings menu, and then View System Log.

Clean compile
The project should give you a clean compile, but you have to remember to reference your own SportTracks dlls:
http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Developers/
see step 5-7

Remember also to set Local Copy = False when you have references to SportTracks dlls'

Source code uploaded
I have now uploaded 0.1.4.0 source code (and tested that it builds as well).

Documentation update
Currently updating the documentation/Wiki at CodePlex as well
hn

Postby DavidCHall » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:20 am

Thanks for the prompt response and extended information: am looking forward to taking a look tonight.
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Linking SportTracks dll

Postby trell » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:21 pm

hn wrote:Plugin not visible
Go to SportTracks settings. Matrix should be listed in the list of Plugins. If not click on System in the menu Settings menu, and then View System Log.

ERROR Could not load plugin C:\Program Files\Zone Five Software\SportTracks 2.0\Plugins\MatrixPlugin.dll. An exception occurred during initialization.
An item with the same key has already been added.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Plugin.PluginManager.AddPlugins(IApplication application, Assembly assembly, String assemblyPath)

Clean compile
The project should give you a clean compile, but you have to remember to reference your own SportTracks dlls:
http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Developers/
see step 5-7

Remember also to set Local Copy = False when you have references to SportTracks dlls'

Source code uploaded
I have now uploaded 0.1.4.0 source code (and tested that it builds as well).

Documentation update
Currently updating the documentation/Wiki at CodePlex as well

i will take a look later
trell

Postby mazoaguirre » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:51 pm

@ hn, the plugin will work in this way?

i can set a number of points alongside the path of the workout and then calculates the diferences between that points for gos an backs rigth?
mazoaguirre.com
mazoaguirre
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby gerhard » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:36 pm

I still have a problem with that my activities do not show up. One by one they may appear, but not together.
See if I get time to dig in the code....

Otherwise I agree with DavidCHalls posting, my first posting came out a little negative. (I also reported privately on the detail that the GPL license makes it impossible to run it with ST legally, so I am glad that hn did not take the responses negatively). We all like cool plugins!

Great update with examples and guide btw.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Thanks for the feedback

Postby hn » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:08 am

Yes, Mr. mazoaguirre, the plugin is planned to work that way (and works that way at my machine with my tracks - but this is no excuse).
So to try to find out where the problem is, I would appreciate if someone could send me their ST-logfile or some .GPX tracks with the preferences.xml from %appdata%\SportTracks\MatrixPlugIn - so I can try to find out why it doesn't work for you. Either to my inbox here or to hnaess@hotmail.com

License is changed to LGPL

Glad you the liked to Getting Started Guide.

Mr. Trell, the exception is thrown by SportTracks. It looks like you have to .DLL with the same GUID for the plugin. Check your plugin folder of SportTracks, and check that you don't have copies of .DLL.
I have generated a new GUID for the Matrix Plugin, so it should be in conflict with other DLLs. If you continue to have the same problem, please .ZIP your plugin folder at send it to me, and I will check if the problem is the Matrix plugin or something locally at your machine.
hn

Postby gerhard » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:35 am

I have sent an email.

Opinion: I like new cool plugin, but needed to see the plugin in action to understand the benefits to the UniqueRoute/HighScore.
Better to compare snippets of tracks where beginning/end may differ
Compare tracks where the track differ. I.e. is a certain path faster?

As I see it UniqueRoute/HighScore is normally better for running but Matrix can be better for cycling.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

New version 0.2.1.0 - Fixed some bugs and improved a lot

Postby hn » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:20 am

I been working hard today :D

- I found a bug when you had several activities. I used the activity name as the key, and when the activity name was blank for the activities - it didn't work to good.
- The settings (Max error distance) wasn't read from the settings file either, so changing that value didn't have any effect.
These things are fixed now

- I have created some new functionality, including including/excluding stopped time, display time or speed, and more..

The full list of bug fixes and improvements are available at http://www.codeplex.com/matrix. The getting starting guide is also updated.

I received some data files for gerhard (here at SportTracks) and it look like the Matrix Plugin work on his data as well. But I needed to increase the max distance error from 100 to 250.

I would appreciate if some of guys can retest, and if it doesn't work please send me your ST-logbook or some .GPX files + the preferences.xml - and I will debug into the dark hours.
hn

Postby gerhard » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:01 pm

Works fine now.

For the test activities, the starting point was not optimal, they started on opposite sides of the block, one was extended (no GPS fix at start, linearly extended automatically at import to a slightly incorrect point), so increasing the Max error distance was expected.

Enhancements:
Time should be calculated as in ST, no separate Stopped time configuration should be required (alternivly, use the Stopped Time for the highest Category in common - more difficult to handle).
Some out-and-back handling. Not sure how to do thisbut maybe the time if paasing one point and the route includes at least one of the other points in the matrix. (all should maybe be required for predictable results).

Well done!
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby 7270martin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Dear hn,

Thank you fore your promising plugin. I was always looking for a plugin analyzing time needed for a specific part of the track.

Unfortunately, your plugin is not displayed in the plucin selection, even though I reinstalled Sporttracks in the required folder (c:\program files\Zone...).

Therefore, I would like to send you my Sporttracks logbook file. The system log shows several errors caused by conflicts with other plugins. Would be great, if you had some time to checkk the logbook. Can you send me your e-mail address by pm in order to send my logbook to you.

Thanks

Martin
7270martin
Donated!
Donated!

Postby trell » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:11 pm

7270martin wrote:Unfortunately, your plugin is not displayed in the plucin selection, even though I reinstalled Sporttracks in the required folder (c:\program files\Zone...).

I hadn't duplicates.

I resolved as follows:
delete all plugins from plugin folder.
download the last one, one by one.
installed individual plugin one at a time.

PS You can remove the plugin folder for ex in desktop.
create a new one with MatrixPlugin.dll inside, load st2.
if it is in settings the problem is inside the old plugin folder otherwise is in your pc
trell

Postby trell » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:24 pm

Now finnaly load but doesen't work.
No errors, no data.
I have tried with your sample file but the same results all fields empty.
trell

Postby 7270martin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:52 pm

@trell

Thank you for your reply. I did delete all plugins and then copied each individual plugin back to the Sporttracks folder.

Now Matrix shows up!

I noted the following:

If I had installed Ciclotourplugin.dll (Import Data from Ciclosport Bike Computer Hac4) in the plugin root folder, matrix does not show up. If Ciclotourplugin.dll is installed in a subfolder of the plugin folder, then it works!!!

Currently, the result fields are empty, but I have to install hn-GPStrack first. Mmust do that this evening, as I have to leave now for work.
7270martin
Donated!
Donated!

Guid problem

Postby hn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:01 am

There may be a problem running Matrix and Ciclo plugin at the same time, because of same GUID. I will look into that.
hn

Problem with CicloPlugin and MatrixPlugin should be fixed

Postby hn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:23 am

And a new release is out.
hn

Postby trell » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:26 pm

7270martin wrote:
I noted the following:

If I had installed Ciclotourplugin.dll (Import Data from Ciclosport Bike Computer Hac4) in the plugin root folder, matrix does not show up. If Ciclotourplugin.dll is installed in a subfolder of the plugin folder, then it works!!!

Currently, the result fields are empty, but I have to install hn-GPStrack first. Mmust do that this evening, as I have to leave now for work.

I haven't Ciclotourplugin.dll installed.
i try load st2 with matrix plugin only and i can see it but i doesen't work, non data inside( test file too)
trell

Postby 7270martin » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Now, Matrix works!!

I did not use the test gpx-file, but a gpx-file of a bike-race from last summer. I edited the file preferences.xml and it worked directly!

The most important thing would be now, that the preferences.xml file should not have to be edited manually by notepad, especially when switching to a different activity. When selecting the matrix view for a specific training, matrix plugin should check, whether a xml-file already esists for this track. If yes, display all legs configured in the past.

As midterm goals, I propose the following:

a) Width of colums should be reduced automatically to the minimum with necessary.

b) Each leg should be marked in the route view (if possible with current ST's API).

c) After the last row (final destination), an additional row should be added showing the distance (in km/miles) of each leg, as well as average gradient in % and elevation in meters/feet +/- (separately). Acutally, two rows would be even better: the first one showing the data on a cumulative basis (from start to a specific leg), the second one showing the data from leg to leg.

d) When having many different legs, Column A with all the leg names should be fixed and always displayed when scrolling horizontally.

e) Apart from time and average speed, the fields should show the following:
- average heart rate
- average power
- average cadence
- average tail/head wind -> based on omb's weather plugin *1)
- average temperature -> based on omb's weather plugin *1)
*1) especially interesting when comparing several trainings on the same track, see f)

-> Reason for this wish: Sporttracks already display all this values, but you need to switch between the different views. When comparing trainings (see f: why is was faster/slower ona specific part of the track), it's rather annoying that not all of the interesting data is available in one view.

I would appreciate if this data would be displayed simultaniously, i.e. you don't have to select for a specific data field and only one data field is displayed as a result. Maybe it makes sense to manually select between average values vs. maximum values.

In order to avoid excessive data display, I suggest to add this information only in the result field from leg to leg, not from start to leg A/B etc.

For those who would not like to see all this data displayed: It would make sense to allow configuring which data should be displayed (e.g. in the settings menu)

f) IMHO, one of the most interesting aspects of this plugin is the possiblity to analyze individual parts of different training/race results on the same track (by means of activity reports, then selecting the relevant activities).

Apart from having the possiblity to select the fastest, median and slowest
tempo, it would be interesting to display the individual results for each training in each result field: Training A in red, Training B in blue etc.
If just 2 trainings are selected, it would be fabulous if the values of both trainings could be displayed and the difference (absolute and relative) would be calculated and displyed as well.

Would be great if the one or the other aspect of this posting could be realized somewhen.

Thanks again for your great work!
Last edited by 7270martin on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
7270martin
Donated!
Donated!

Postby showDown » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:32 pm

Sorry , want to try the plugin but have no idea how to edit point names for an imported running session in preferences xml.
No clue from where i get values for lon/ lat for a selected activity.
My idea is that the plugin should set these values for the activity from the imported gps route e.g. through a simple mouse click in route view.
Am i on the wrong path? Any help is welcome!

regards,
Heiko
showDown
Donated!
Donated!

Next

Return to Matrix