Downloads: 2,336 (3) • Reviews: 0

Version:

Updated:

Jul 29, 2011

Matrix doesn't work with latest Trails plugin

Matrix doesn't work with latest Trails plugin

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi Gerhard,

I get the following message if I goto the Matrix view.

Problem communicating with TrailsPlugin.dll
Make sure that Trails plugin is installed on your machine

bei MatrixPlugin.Integration.Trails.AddPositionGroupsFromTrails(Dictionary`2& positions)
bei MatrixPlugin.SettingsController.get_PositionGroups()
bei MatrixPlugin.TableViewer.UpdatePositionGroups()
bei MatrixPlugin.TableViewer.PopulateComboBoxes()
bei MatrixPlugin.TableViewer..ctor()
bei MatrixPlugin.TableViewer..ctor(ActivityDetailPage detailPage, IDailyActivityView view)
bei MatrixPlugin.ActivityDetailPage.CreatePageControl()
bei ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Controls.PageSelectorBanner.ShowCurrentPage()

Trails plugin is working well. If I disable Trails plugin version 1.0.389.21982 from google code Matrix is working like a charm.
Could you please take a look.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Matrix doesn't work with latest Trails plugin

Postby gerhard » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:23 pm

I cannot reproduce the problem.
The Trails-matrix integration has not been changed since last fall. You could try a previous version too.

The exception could occur if Matrix have problems parsing the information from Trails too. I see that this could occur for instance if a Trail name already exists as a Matrix position group name. This specific case should be handled, but there could possibly be other situations.

An example activity, Preferences.System.xml and Matrix preferences.xml is needed to investigate.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:24 am

OK same error when running my office PC with Trails version 1.0.364.284.

Yes I've the same trails name and Matrix group name. Renaming Matrix group name has fixed the error, I just had to restart ST to get the preference file reloaded.

An info in the error message at least what need to be done would be great for the future, or even better allow same name.

Thanks
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:25 am

Stumpjumper68 wrote:Yes I've the same trails name and Matrix group name. Renaming Matrix group name has fixed the error, I just had to restart ST to get the preference file reloaded.

You can reload the Matrix preferences from Settings.

Stumpjumper68 wrote:An info in the error message at least what need to be done would be great for the future, or even better allow same name.

Error handling is hard. Maybe half the code is some kind of checks and error handling. In this case it also affects the GUI and translations. Too fine graded exceptions creates a lot of changes which hits translation overhead hard. It would be much easier if everyone spoke the same language. I say Swedish is the language to use.
Anyway, exceptions should be avoided, only used for situations that cannot be anticipated. This is clearly not the case here. However, automatic renaming is hard too: What if the new name is used too? How many renaming attempts? Of course, a popup could inform that a Trail is not imported (will require another translation too). For some users, such a popup would be annoying too. Silently ignoring duplicates also have disadvantages.

I leave it up to you to choose between duplicate popup or silently ignoring, but you will have to review the German translations of the plugins....
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby Stumpjumper68 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:48 am

I guess the easiest way would be the handling of error messages in english, almost every body who uses an American software should be able to translate it from english. If that's not the case
he can post it to the forum and someone can help. Translating is a nice to have but not on all stages necessary.

If my error message above states that is comming from a doubled name just add a line "How to solve the problem": Same names in Matrix and Trail aren't supported please rename the group field in Matrix. (Should state Matrix because if you change Trails you have to change calculated fields if you use it with Trails).

I don't like silent ignoring because than I always doesn't know why it's not working as expected.
Stumpjumper68
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:48 am

Update here:
http://matrix.codeplex.com/releases/view/70822

* French translation - existed previously but were not public
* Avoid exceptions if a position group existed twice (in preferences or trails)
* Sort position groups imported from Trails
* Always read PositionGroups (including Trails) when showing page
* Refresh positiongroups from Settings did not work properly. the xml is parsed at startup, forcing extra parsing did not update the used position groups.

* if a position group exists twice in the preferences file, the second is ignored (silently)
* If a position group in xml is called Splits, it will hide the generated position group
* If a positiongroup in in xml has the same name as a Trail, the Trail is renamed once. If still exists, a popup informs that the Trail was not imported

xml positiongroups are still before Trails in the order they are defined, but Trails are sorted.
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Return to Matrix