Elevation Correction

by pkan

Downloads: 64,344 (30) • Reviews: 11

Version:

Updated:

Nov 29, 2017

Elevation correction plugin

Postby texmurphy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Running with the latest ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll (9/08/2007 184Kb) produces the following fault anytime Elevation Correction is used (in this case for the test to Edit->Undo elevation correction:

WinXP Pro/ST2 wrote:************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib, Version=0.85.2.329, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1b03e6acf1164f73' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib, Version=0.85.2.329, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1b03e6acf1164f73'
at ElevationCorrectionPlugin.Correct.Corrector.GetOriginalElevationData(ILogbookEntry entry)
at ElevationCorrectionPlugin.Correct.Corrector.UndoCorrectElevation(ILogbookEntry entry)
at ElevationCorrectionPlugin.Correct.Corrector.UndoCorrectElevation(IList`1 entries)
at ElevationCorrectionPlugin.Edit.UndoCorrectElevationAction.Run(Rectangle rectButton)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Actions.ActionMenuAction.popupItem_Select(Object sender, EventArgs e)

In a seperate post on Activity Picture Plugin I got this response
doml wrote:@texmurphy: are you using a folder structure which subfolders for each plugin? This is recommended, and also gives a better overview.
Regards, doml

While a folder structure might solve the problem, my plugins are not "Folder Structured" and might take a bit of work to untangle stuff now. There were no prior ST2 recommendations for the plugin directory structure and I imagine most users just unzipped dll's to the plugin directory.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby pkan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:01 pm

On my machine the Elevation Correction Plugin v1.3 is quite happy with version 0.85.4.369 (9/08/2007 184Kb) of ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll, so my impression is that there is some other reason that ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll can't be found or can't be loaded on your machine. Do you know in what situations the Activity Picture Plugin uses this dll? Presumably it is something related to zip files. Does this work in the Activity Picture Plugin? If so, what happens if you try to use the Elevation Correction Plugin after doing something with the Activity Picture Plugin that requires ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll to be loaded?

As far as I can tell it shouldn't matter if you keep all the files in the top level of the plugin directory, without any subfolders.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby gerhard » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:07 pm

pkan wrote:Do you know in what situations the Activity Picture Plugin uses this dll?

When exporting to a .kmz file - the kml file and pictures included in directories.

Works fine for me too (have not tested to remove any of the .dll so I am not sure which version is used).
gerhard
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby texmurphy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:33 pm

If I remove the Activity Picture plugin and try the 9/08/2007 184Kb of ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll then Elevation Correction still fails (all plugins unzipped to .../Plugins directory)

When I untangle the Elevation Correction and the Activity Picture plugins to seperate directories then no errors. (Test was to undo and then apply elevation followed by load picture for activity and export to GE.)
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby pkan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:46 am

texmurphy wrote:If I remove the Activity Picture plugin and try the 9/08/2007 184Kb of ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll then Elevation Correction still fails (all plugins unzipped to .../Plugins directory)

This is to be expected if the problem is in ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll and not in the Elevation Correction plugin.

texmurphy wrote:When I untangle the Elevation Correction and the Activity Picture plugins to seperate directories then no errors. (Test was to undo and then apply elevation followed by load picture for activity and export to GE.)

If you have the older version of ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll in the Elevation Correction directory then this is to be expected and adds no information. If you have the newer version of ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll then it is interesting.

My question still remains unanswered: Can you export to kmz with the latest version of the Activity Picture plugin? If so, what happens if you use Elevation Correction after first exporting to kmz.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:44 pm

Configuration: Activity Picture and Elevation Correction in seperate respective sub-directories of the Plugin directory.

pkan wrote:If you have the older version of ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll in the Elevation Correction directory then this is to be expected and adds no information. If you have the newer version of ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll then it is interesting.

Newer version in Elevation Correction directory fails.

pkan wrote:My question still remains unanswered: Can you export to kmz with the latest version of the Activity Picture plugin? If so, what happens if you use Elevation Correction after first exporting to kmz.

1. ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll older in Elevation Correction and newer in Activity Picture:
Export kmz followed by Undo Elevation works;

2. ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll newer in both Elevation Correction and Activity Picture:
Export kmz (works) followed by Undo Elevation which fails with
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib, Version=0.85.2.329, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1b03e6acf1164f73' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib, Version=0.85.2.329, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1b03e6acf1164f73'
at ElevationCorrectionPlugin.Correct.Corrector.SetOriginalElevationData(ILogbookEntry entry, INumericTimeDataSeries elevationTrack)

3. ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll removed to general plugin directory then Activity Picture works with newer only and elevation correction works with older only.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby pkan » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:01 pm

texmurphy wrote:2. ICSharpCodeZipLib.dll newer in both Elevation Correction and Activity Picture:
Export kmz (works) followed by Undo Elevation which fails with
at ElevationCorrectionPlugin.Correct.Corrector.SetOriginalElevationData(ILogbookEntry entry, INumericTimeDataSeries elevationTrack)

The full error message should contain a list of loaded assemblies at the end. Is ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib listed among those assemblies, and if so, with what additional information? If it is listed, then we know that the system has loaded the assembly but for some reason the Elevation Correction plugin won't use it and we need to figure out why. If not, then the Activity Picture plugin apparently didn't load the assembly and we still don't know if it can be loaded at all.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:05 pm

pkan wrote:The full error message should contain a list of loaded assemblies at the end. Is ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib listed among those assemblies, and if so, with what additional information? If it is listed, then we know that the system has loaded the assembly but for some reason the Elevation Correction plugin won't use it and we need to figure out why. If not, then the Activity Picture plugin apparently didn't load the assembly and we still don't know if it can be loaded at all.

I sent you via pm the entire error message. But the Activity Picture plugin appears to load the ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.

----------------------------------------
ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib
Assembly Version: 0.85.4.369
Win32 Version: 0.85.4.369
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Zone%20Five%20Software/SportTracks%202.0/Plugins/ActivityPicturePlugin/ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll
----------------------------------------
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby pkan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:28 pm

I should probably read up on assembly versioning to understand exactly what is going on, but I don't have the time right now. And if I understand things correctly, everything seems to work without any problems if the Elevation Correction plugin is installed in a subfolder, so it might be enough to recommend installing in a subfolder to anyone running into this problem.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Version 1.3.1 released

Postby pkan » Sun May 25, 2008 6:03 am

The next release of ST coming in a couple of weeks will be incompatible with version 1.3 of the elevation correction plugin, and I have released an updated version 1.3.1 that fixes this. Version 1.3.1 of the plugin is compatible with the current release of ST, so I recommend upgrading right away.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby correveydile » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:55 pm

Very recently, I started to have problems with the plugin (or I have realized recently, when I did a running in a new area). When I tried to correct the elevation, I got the following message:
"Download Error: Could not open connection to remote server".
I running the following plugin release:
- GDAL plugin 1.1.0.13
- Elevation correction 1.3.1

ST 2.1.3326

I have reinstalled both plugins, but I doesn't make any difference.
Anybody suffering a similar problem? Any idea how to fixed it?
Thanks and BR
correveydile

Postby pkan » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:48 am

Some possible explanations are firewall problems, network problems, or the NASA FTP server being temporarily down, cf. the discussion in http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=3797. To check whether you can reach the NASA FTP server, try accessing the FTP server (ftp://e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov) from a web browser.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby correveydile » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:01 pm

The pluging has not worked again for me since I started to have problems one month ago. Is it only me or the rest of the users are suffering a similar problem? is it a server down problem?
correveydile

Postby HENNES » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:27 am

correveydile wrote:The pluging has not worked again for me since I started to have problems one month ago. Is it only me or the rest of the users are suffering a similar problem? is it a server down problem?

no probs here
rgds hennes
- kickbiking with FR 305 and STs 3

runner´s map ... EURE Karte für Laufveranstaltungen - zum MITMACHEN!!!
http://www.runnersmap.info
...mehr als DREI TAUSEND Laufveranstaltungen!
HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

NASA ftp down?

Postby onquilt9 » Sun May 03, 2009 10:31 am

Hi all,

I had to change computers recently and so installed ST on a new computer - downloaded the plug ins that were working fine on my old computer - as for a day now it says it cannot connect to remote server. I click on the link to the nasa ftp server and that shows as down (cannot connect).

Anyone else having that problem now?

Thanks!

--Reina
onquilt9

Postby texmurphy » Sun May 03, 2009 1:01 pm

If you have access to the data on the old computer then you may be able to copy all the cached SRTM and Map data over to your new computer.

Find the (on XP) directory C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\2.0\Web Files\SRTM tiles which has the SRTM elevation data. Copy this to the equivalent location on the new computer.

You may also wish to copy the cached map tiles and any images found at:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\2.0\Web Files\MapTiles

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\2.0\Web Files\Images

I routinely backup these files along with other ST data.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby onquilt9 » Sun May 03, 2009 1:29 pm

Unfortunately I can't get to those files on the old computer. :/

And ... I didn't know that that's where this data was ... so it wasn't anything I backed up.

Thanks for that tip going forward!

-Reina

texmurphy wrote:If you have access to the data on the old computer then you may be able to copy all the cached SRTM and Map data over to your new computer.

Find the (on XP) directory C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\2.0\Web Files\SRTM tiles which has the SRTM elevation data. Copy this to the equivalent location on the new computer.

You may also wish to copy the cached map tiles and any images found at:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\2.0\Web Files\MapTiles

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\2.0\Web Files\Images

I routinely backup these files along with other ST data.
onquilt9

Plugin obsolete ?

Postby Teemo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:05 pm

Does this mean that the plugin is obsolete ?

ftp://e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/README
"The SRTM dataset has moved. You have apparently been accessing it directly,
rather than through the link specified at JPL (http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/).
The new location is http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/.
Note that the directory levels have changed, so that the top level now contains the version directories.
Lastly, we now only allow HTTP connections, not FTP. Sorry that we had no way to communicate
these changes other than cutting off access at the old location."
Teemo

Postby admin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:37 pm

I think unless the URL and access type (HTTP/FTP) are configurable in a settings file the developer will have to re-release the plugin with new server locations.

Fortunately the developer visits the forums occasionally so we may be blessed with his hard work and a new release of the useful plugin.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Des » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:16 pm

I don't use the plug-in myself so I can't verify this, but I'm wondering if you can work around the problem by changing the hosts file on Windows (On xp it can be found here C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts ). If the new location can be accessible directly by ip address then you may be able to enter a redirection line to make it work.

HTH

Des

(Edit: Actually, I now notice that they say the directory levels have changed also, so it would be lucky if the above would work)
Des
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Teemo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:45 am

Seems that it doesn't work with http (I have tested the new link, it is accessible via http).

Added to HOSTS:
152.61.128.95 e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov

Plugin get redirected, but ask for ftp
(logged by router):
192.168.15.111 152.61.128.95 ftp

Think I will have to live without it. Or maybe download the files and setup a local ftp-server :-)

Thanks anyway...
Teemo

Postby Wolfgang » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:21 am

I found a solution that works fine, at least in my case:
- To apply local elevation data, you need to install GDAL plugin (http://mapplugin.googlepages.com/gdal)
- Download SRTM files from http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2/SRTM3 (or http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2/SRTM1 for the US in better resolution) and unzip them into any directory. Creating subfolders (e.g. for continents) is ok.
- Naming convention for those SRTM files is [NS]<Latitude>[EW]<Longitude>.hgt. You only need to download that files that refer to the area you are interested in. For estimating the resulting files' size: I just downloaded whole Europe and got 626 files with a total size of 1,68GB.
- Within ST go to the plugin settings of Elevation Correction plugin and add that folder to the list of sources.
- Now elevation correction should work fine again for the areas where you got SRTM files.
Wolfgang

Postby Teemo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:11 am

Great, thanks.

Now, is there a way to apply the data to all the existing tracks ?
I activated "Download elevation data for all activities" (without errors now). But it did not apply the new data (44 .hgt files for Denmark [N54E008..016 to N58E008..016]). Am I missing something ?

EDIT: Forget the above. I just read the f... manual :oops:
Working fine now.
Teemo

Postby pkan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:40 pm

admin wrote:I think unless the URL and access type (HTTP/FTP) are configurable in a settings file the developer will have to re-release the plugin with new server locations.

Fortunately the developer visits the forums occasionally so we may be blessed with his hard work and a new release of the useful plugin.

Of course this calls for a new release. I'll get it done within the next few days. In the meantime, you can use the workaround described by Wolfgang above or, even simpler, just drop the unzipped .hgt files in the directory where the plugin stores downloaded data. On my machine this is

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\2.0\Web Files\SRTM Tiles\NASA v2\SRTM1

and

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZoneFiveSoftware\SportTracks\2.0\Web Files\SRTM Tiles\NASA v2\SRTM3

for SRTM1 and SRTM3, respectively. You may have to adjust the first part of the path depending on you installation, cf. http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=4290.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mazoaguirre » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:16 pm

HI Pkan the ST says that there is a 1.4 version that was released today, i go to plugin catalog due to the Plugin is not ST2 type, but the available files is still 1.3.1 version from may of 2008
FR 310 and Foot Pod, Edge 500 and Cadence Sensor, GoPro HD 960
mazoaguirre.com
mazoaguirre
Contributor!
Contributor!

PreviousNext

Return to Elevation Correction