by pkan

Downloads: 64,344 (30) • Reviews: 11

Version:

Updated:

Nov 29, 2017

Elevation correction plugin

Re: Download Server error: Is a new release comming to fix t

Postby pkan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:58 am

rbid wrote:I just downloaded the plugin and it could not download the elevation database.

Is a new release of this plugin soon to be release with the corrected server addresses?

ETA: Applying the work-around as mentioned in this thread, still gives me the same problem :(

I discovered that the new SRTM release contained a number of corrupt files, and the people at NASA/USGS are in the process of re-delivering all the files to the download site, see the SRTM forum for more info. Until the redelivery is finished there may be some download problems, even for the URLs used in the workaround above, which are apparently also affected by the redelivery. I have updated the plugin and will try to release it as soon as the SRTM redelivery is finished and I have been able to do some additional testing to make sure that everything works.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby pkan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:07 am

HENNES wrote:How does one realize that the plugin is working or not?

Without the plugin we have elevation data too (but wrong ones :evil: )

The plugin should tell you if a download fails. If you've already downloaded the elevation data you need then the plugin will use the downloaded data and it doesn't matter if the download server is available or not.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby pkan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:44 am

Status update: The new SRTM release turned out to contain about 100 corrupt files, which have now been replaced. There are some remaining issues with missing files on the SRTM download server that need sorting out before I can release a new plugin version. Now that the corrupt files have been fixed, I've updated my workaround above to suggest using the new 2.1 data as an alternative which works for more locations than the previous workaround. Before releasing a new plugin version I'll also take a look at ExtraPilot's activity to see if there are any issues in the plugin that might explain his results.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Status of Update

Postby misch » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:35 am

Any news on when we can expect the corrected plugin? I know you are basically waiting on the corrected data being provided, but have you heard anything as to when this might be happening?
misch

Can't get elevation data from remote server

Postby charlessanders » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:22 am

Hi PKAN.

Recently my elevation correction plugin has started to fail to get the elevation correction data from the remote server.

I have tried to remove and reinstall the plugin, however at this point in time I believe that I have removed the plugin from my PC but it is stil appearing in Sporttracks 2.1.

2 questions:
1. How can I completely remove the plug in so that I can reinstall it?
2. How can I test access to the remote server to find the problem?

With thanks

Charles
charlessanders

Postby pkan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:31 am

There are still issues with the SRTM data on the official download server (missing files for Canada north of 55 °N and some corrupt files), but I decided to release a new version 1.5 of the plugin anyway since it should work fine for most users. The plugin should update the download URLs even if you applied the workaround described above.

Changes from version 1.4:
- Updated to use SRTM version v2.1; the download URLs of the previous SRTM version v2.0 were no longer valid
- Updated to use the latest updates of Viewfinder Panoramas
- Added Refresh button to DEM list on plugin settings page

For SRTM DEMs the Refresh button will delete all downloaded elevation data for the selected DEM, for folder DEMs it will force a rescan.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Loading Canadian DEMs

Postby can37 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:37 pm

Thanks for a great plug in pkan. I have loaded 1.5 and I can now get data for Ottawa from the servers. I have one run in Montreal that still will not load. I have down loaded DEMs for Ottawa and Montreal from the http://www.geobase.ca site that you suggest. I have files in a directory and I have added the directory to the list of sources. The status shows that no DEMs are found and if I try to load them one at a time I get an error "The selected file could not be added" Do I have to convert the files to a different format?

TIA

M
can37

Postby pkan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:19 pm

@can37: Did you unzip the downloaded files? The unzipped Canada DEM files should have a .dem extension. I just checked and the plugin recognized the .dem files without problems.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby can37 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:39 pm

Yes, I have .dem files in the directory. The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is that I loaded GDAL after the first install of Elevation correction. I have uninstalled both and reinstalled GDAL first and then installed 1.4 I upgrade to 1.5 today. I am using the 50K scale, I also tried the 250K with no luck. Is there a log I can look at to see what is going wrong?
can37

Postby pkan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:06 pm

The order of installation between the GDAL plugin and the elevation correction plugin shouldn't matter. And if the Add folder and Add DEM buttons are enabled then the elevation correction plugin has been able to connect to GDAL. Are you using the latest version (1.1.2) of the GDAL plugin (which is based on GDAL version 1.6.1)?
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby fishyweb » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:06 pm

Thanks for this update pkan. New downloads had stopped working for me here in the UK for a while now. This is fixed by 1.5.

Thanks, as always.
Steve
Using Garmin FR 230 for running, and Garmin Edge 820 (with cad, power and HR) for cycling
fishyweb
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Meven » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:13 am

Strange thing for my workout. A 10 Km which seems to be ascent and descend equal, but i got +10.9 (instead of +43, i got 3 laps of an ascent beginning at 32 meter to 42 meter and 3 little one) and -0.0
I got Elevation Correction 1.5 with "SRTM 1", Viewfinder Panoramas"
Meven
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby piotry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks for the plugin, very usefull.
piotry
Donated!
Donated!

Postby HENNES » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:23 am

piotry wrote:Thanks for the plugin, very usefull.

+1

simply THE *must-have* of all plugins! 8) 8) 8)
rgds hennes
- kickbiking with FR 305 and STs 3

runner´s map ... EURE Karte für Laufveranstaltungen - zum MITMACHEN!!!
http://www.runnersmap.info
...mehr als DREI TAUSEND Laufveranstaltungen!
HENNES
Donated!
Donated!

Elevation Correction for GARMIN Edge 705

Postby Tuni » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:09 pm

Hallo pkan!
Many thanks for the useful plugin.
Do you still doing revisions on the plugin?
I've seen some strange behaviour on the GARMIN Edge 705 and hope you have an idea to find a solution.
When GPS signal is received, everything works fine. When I lost the GPS signal - for example in a tunnel - then the elevation is not corrected in the tunnel, so that I get a big offset in the elevation-time diagram for the values in the tunnel.
Maybe the explanation is that the Garmin Edge 705 delivered Points are stored in the ST ElevationMetersTrack and not in the ST GPSRoute when the GPS Signal is lost. ...there is no position on the map, so they couldn't be elevation corrected by the elev-corr.-plugin?
Do you have an idea?
Tuni

Re: Elevation Correction for GARMIN Edge 705

Postby pkan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:43 pm

Tuni wrote:Do you still doing revisions on the plugin?

If things need to be fixed I will update the plugin. I have some ideas for additional functionality but probably won't release anything until certain things are added to the SportTracks Plugin API.
Tuni wrote:I've seen some strange behaviour on the GARMIN Edge 705 and hope you have an idea to find a solution.
When GPS signal is received, everything works fine. When I lost the GPS signal - for example in a tunnel - then the elevation is not corrected in the tunnel, so that I get a big offset in the elevation-time diagram for the values in the tunnel.
Maybe the explanation is that the Garmin Edge 705 delivered Points are stored in the ST ElevationMetersTrack and not in the ST GPSRoute when the GPS Signal is lost. ...there is no position on the map, so they couldn't be elevation corrected by the elev-corr.-plugin?
Do you have an idea?

If you have any example files I could take a look.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby DavidCHall » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:42 am

See here.
DavidCHall
Donated!
Donated!

Postby sl70176 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Once again I ran in a new city and I get the following error when I try to apply the elevation correction:

--
The activity "16/05/2010" could not be corrected because no valid elevation data was obtained from the Digital Elevation Model
--

Any ideas?
sl70176

Postby pkan » Wed May 19, 2010 11:30 am

sl70176 wrote:Once again I ran in a new city and I get the following error when I try to apply the elevation correction:

--
The activity "16/05/2010" could not be corrected because no valid elevation data was obtained from the Digital Elevation Model
--

Any ideas?

Might the problem be the same as in http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Forums/viewtopic.php?p=32463#32463 above?
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby sl70176 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:46 pm

That worked, thanks. I did search for that before posting and tried changing 'SRTM 1", Viewfinder Panoramas' to 'SRTM 3", Viewfinder Panoramas' and that didn't help. But after your suggestion I tried all the choices and it finally did work with just 'SRTM 3"'.

Thanks again.
sl70176

Previous

Return to Elevation Correction