Elevation correction plugin

Author

pkan (Contact by PM)

Download

See Plugin Catalog

Home page

http://hem.bredband.net/b419940/ElevationCorrectionPlugin.html

Description

This plugin corrects the elevation of GPS tracks using SRTM elevation data, which is automatically downloaded from the official NASA FTP server. The plugin can also download enhanced SRTM data from Viewfinder Panoramas where available. In addition, custom elevation data provided by the user can be used for elevation correction. (Users in the United States seeking the most accurate elevation correction are encouraged to download and use National Elevation Dataset (NED) data.) All available digital elevation models are listed on the Settings page, and the priority between them can be changed. There is an option to automatically correct data at import, plus an option to exclude selected sources from automatic correction, and an option to download elevation data covering all activities in the logbook, so that no further downloads will be needed to correct the activities.

For more information, see the plugin home page.
Last edited by pkan on Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby nvDolfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:53 pm

Worked great for me! Great enhancement. Once thing that would be nice is if it could tell me what 1/3 arc NED coordinates I need to download.
Running with a ForeRunner 305
FTP/HTML Export Plugin
nvDolfan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby nvDolfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:01 pm

a small bug...
i got a new hard drive (grrrr!) so no elevation data downloaded
downloaded the NED files for all my activities
applied elevation correction to all my activities - all activities were updated
in settings, selected download elevation data for all activities and it started downloading 32MB elevation data - it should not be downloading data since the NED elevation data is already there
Running with a ForeRunner 305
FTP/HTML Export Plugin
nvDolfan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby pkan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:29 am

nvDolfan wrote:it should not be downloading data since the NED elevation data is already there

The check for what elevation data needs to be downloaded became slower with GDAL DEMs, so in order to keep delays to a minimum I decided to ignore the custom DEMs when doing the check. I figured an unnecessary background download wouldn't be a problem. Since then I have moved the check to a background thread, so now I could take the custom DEMs into account again. But I'll wait and see if any other things to change or fix come up before making an update.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby TomasR » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:46 am

Note:
Gdal plugin updated to beta 2, minor error in one of the 10 lines of code that creates this plugin.

Since the elevation correction plugin was released, and working, with beta 1 I don't believe it is at all affected by the change I have made but to be safe I recommend use of the latest Beta.

Yours
Tomas
TomasR
Donated!
Donated!

Re: Elevation correction plugin - version 1.1

Postby mlennox » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:23 pm

pkan wrote:Elevation data is also available from government sites for Canada and Mexico.

I love the new features to add custom elevation data. I downloaded the Canadian elevation data and was wondering if it would be possible to support "wildcards" when specifying elevation data files? There are a lot of files if you choose the fine resolution and to have to add each of these files by name to the list of files in the plugin settings is a bit tedious. I was thinking you could specify a folder of files or something like that.
mlennox

Postby mazoaguirre » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:04 pm

i like the idea of select folder not files, i have to download several files to cover the location where i ran on Mexico
FR 310 and Foot Pod, Edge 500 and Cadence Sensor, GoPro HD 960
mazoaguirre.com
mazoaguirre
Contributor!
Contributor!

Error Loading View

Postby johannks » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:59 am

Hello pkan

When I try to access the settings page I get the following "Error Loading View":
Could not load file or assembly 'osr_csharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

at ElevationCorrectionPlugin.Settings.SettingsPageControl.RefreshDemInfo(IDEM dem)
at ElevationCorrectionPlugin.Settings.SettingsPageControl.RefreshInstalledDem()
at ElevationCorrectionPlugin.Settings.SettingsPageControl..ctor()
at ElevationCorrectionPlugin.Settings.SettingsPage.CreatePageControl()
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Controls.ViewSettingsPageAdapter.CreatePageControl()
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.ViewNavigationManager.ShowCurrentView()

I am running ST under Vista Home Premium and have not downloaded the GDAL library since I have not found any custom elevation data in Switzerland.
(Also, I did not have this problem with 1.0.0.)
Last edited by johannks on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
johannks
Donated!
Donated!

Postby patrick_schere » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:08 am

I've got the same Error-Message...
... but after installing the gdalplugin, correcting some elevation data and new starting ST the Message disappears and I can access the configuration.

By, patrick_schere
patrick_schere
Donated!
Donated!

Postby pkan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:34 pm

@mlennox & mazoaguirre: I've enabled multiselect in the file open dialog. It will be included in the next release in a day or two.

@johannks: The problem seems to be that a GDAL dll is referenced for some reason that I don't understand. On my computer it works fine without GDAL. But I've made some changes that should hopefully increase the chances of things working for you. If you PM me with you email adress I could send you a version to test before I make a public release.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mlennox » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:03 pm

pkan wrote:@mlennox & mazoaguirre: I've enabled multiselect in the file open dialog. It will be included in the next release in a day or two.

Thank you. When you say multi-select, I'm assuming you will still have each file listed in the dialog? What I was suggesting was a directory of files where you could add and remove files to the directory without having to update the list in the plugin settings... but the multi-select is a step in the right direction for sure.
mlennox

Postby pkan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:46 pm

Multiselect means the same file open dialog but with the option of selecting multiple files. To add all files from a directory just use ctrl-a (or mark with shift-click). I've introduced a check so that files that have already been added are ignored (with a notification to the user) when multiple files are selected. That way you can easily reimport the whole directory if you add some files. If you really want to add a file twice you can still do it by just selecting a single file.

Dynamic scanning of a directory doesn't fit very well into the structure and there are a number of complications with that approach that would need to be handled, so I don't plan on adding it.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mlennox » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:35 am

pkan wrote:Multiselect means the same file open dialog but with the option of selecting multiple files. To add all files from a directory just use ctrl-a (or mark with shift-click). I've introduced a check so that files that have already been added are ignored (with a notification to the user) when multiple files are selected. That way you can easily reimport the whole directory if you add some files. If you really want to add a file twice you can still do it by just selecting a single file.

Dynamic scanning of a directory doesn't fit very well into the structure and there are a number of complications with that approach that would need to be handled, so I don't plan on adding it.

Is there any way the multi-select could work on nested directories, where you have lots of DEM files but they are all in children sub-directories?
mlennox

Postby pkan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:04 pm

mlennox wrote:Is there any way the multi-select could work on nested directories, where you have lots of DEM files but they are all in children sub-directories?

What kind of DEM files do you have in mind if putting them all in a single directory or a small number of directories is not enough? Anything is possible if I can be convinced that it is worth the effort. :wink:

One way to do it would be not to add the individual files in the directory but treat the whole directory including subdirectories as a single DEM, keeping track of the individual files internally (scanning at startup and possibly detecting changes) but only displaying the top level path and no coverage info in the settings page. This would be rather natural for something like SRTM, DTED, or the official Canadian DEM, where there is a fixed tile structure so that you never really want to deal with the individual files.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mlennox » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:10 pm

pkan wrote:
mlennox wrote:One way to do it would be not to add the individual files in the directory but treat the whole directory including subdirectories as a single DEM, keeping track of the individual files internally (scanning at startup and possibly detecting changes) but only displaying the top level path and no coverage info in the settings page. This would be rather natural for something like SRTM, DTED, or the official Canadian DEM, where there is a fixed tile structure so that you never really want to deal with the individual files.

This is exactly what I'm looking for!

The reason I'm suggesting this is that after looking at the Canadian DEM files (1:50,000), they come packaged as a whole bunch of individual ZIP files. In order to keep track of them, it's easier to extract them into individual folders as they come bundled, but for the detailed files covering the area I'm interested in, it's still a LOT of files.

Thanks pkan, this plugin is really good stuff.
mlennox

Postby pkan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:36 pm

OK, I'll add this. It shouldn't be too much work and it makes sense being able to treat this type of DEM essentially the same way as SRTM, but without the download. Treating a directory as a single DEM also avoids the list of available DEMs being filled up a huge number of individual DEMs that you don't care about anyway.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mlennox » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:43 pm

pkan wrote:OK, I'll add this. It shouldn't be too much work and it makes sense being able to treat this type of DEM essentially the same way as SRTM, but without the download. Treating a directory as a single DEM also avoids the list of available DEMs being filled up a huge number of individual DEMs that you don't care about anyway.

Agreed, this is good approach pkan. Let me know when it's ready and I'll gladly test it.
mlennox

Postby pkan » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:35 pm

I have released an updated version 1.2 of the elevation correction plugin. The original post in this thread has been updated to reflect the changes, but here is a summary of the changes from version 1.1:

- DEM folders as discussed in this thread have been introduced.
- Multiselect enabled in file dialog for adding DEMs.
- Custom DEMs taken into account in selection of SRTM tiles to download when "Download elevation data for all activities" is checked, cf nvDolfan's post above.
- The error that some users without GDAL installed got when accessing the settings page (see above) has been fixed.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Meven » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:23 pm

Thanks pkan :wink:
Meven
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby fishyweb » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:46 am

@Pkan - Would it be possible to make the option of automatically applying correction device-specific?

The reason I ask is that I have both Edge 305 and Forerunner devices. I would like to automatically correct the elevation when importing from the Forerunner, but when importing from the Edge with its barometric altimeter I would rather use uncorrected data. Is this possible?
Steve
Using Garmin FR 230 for running, and Garmin Edge 820 (with cad, power and HR) for cycling
fishyweb
Donated!
Donated!

Postby pkan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:57 am

Sounds like a good idea. I'll try to look into it next week. I guess one would have a list of devices that are excluded from automatic correction, even if it is checked.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby fishyweb » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:22 am

pkan wrote:I guess one would have a list of devices that are excluded from automatic correction, even if it is checked.

Sounds like the perfect solution to me!
Steve
Using Garmin FR 230 for running, and Garmin Edge 820 (with cad, power and HR) for cycling
fishyweb
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Gabriel » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:56 pm

Best plugin, EVER! :P
Gabriel

Postby ricomundy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:04 pm

This is a great plugin. I just started using it to add elevation to GPX tracks which have no elevation.

This makes me think of a feature which I have been wanting a long time and which at one point I was going to see about hiring a programmer to create...

With a lot of this DEM type elevation data, a lot of elevation "noise" can be introduced from one location point to the next. So when zooming in closely to the elevation track, it can be really spiky with sharp ups and downs at the small scale. What I would love to have is an averaging function that would smooth out this spike noise between points and give an elevation profile that more closely matches reality where the road flows up and down.

This would be an amazing addition to this plugin. It would also limit the total elevation gain/loss and bring it closer to reality.
ricomundy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby admin » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:06 pm

I'm pretty sure it was written to average the DEM data around the GPS point
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Elevation Correction