by pkan

Downloads: 64,344 (30) • Reviews: 11

Version:

Updated:

Nov 29, 2017

New Zealand

New Zealand

Postby philipshambrook » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:21 pm

I've had this plugin for a wee while now and never really noticed any issues. However, today's run was a beach run which means relatively flat. I was a bit surprised to see over 500m elevation gain. On closer inspection there were 20m swings in the elevation. Garmin Connect showed a more realistic 120m gain (there was a hill in the middle) so something was not right in SportTracks. Long story short, checked the plugin and is seems there is no coverage for New Zealand - 42 deg South roughly where we are. Is this correct? I have now turned off Elevation Correction and all is well.

I suspect I don;t really need it anyway with a Garmin 910XT. I think this must class as a 'DUH' moment on my part. :lol:
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Re: New Zealand

Postby old_man_biking » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:25 am

philipshambrook wrote:I've had this plugin for a wee while now and never really noticed any issues. However, today's run was a beach run which means relatively flat. I was a bit surprised to see over 500m elevation gain. On closer inspection there were 20m swings in the elevation. Garmin Connect showed a more realistic 120m gain (there was a hill in the middle) so something was not right in SportTracks. Long story short, checked the plugin and is seems there is no coverage for New Zealand - 42 deg South roughly where we are. Is this correct? I have now turned off Elevation Correction and all is well.

I suspect I don;t really need it anyway with a Garmin 910XT. I think this must class as a 'DUH' moment on my part. :lol:

Hi Philip,

I'm aware that you're talking about Elevation Correction plugin.
Waypoint & Courses plugin provides elevation correction as well. On the W&C plugin's settings page you can find out the coverage for different digital elevation models (the "globe" button right of the "Elevation data sources" table. Afaik EC plugin uses identical or similar DEM data, so you can find the answer for your question on the W&C plugin settings page.

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby philipshambrook » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks OMB.

There are 4 choices for elevation data on the plugin, which for the first time I actually looked at! The only selection that appears relevant to the southern hemisphere offers up elevation correction for the "World 56' S to 56' N". There is another choice for "Mountain areas outside North America + area north of 60' N". I'm in a low lying area in New Zealand so the relevance of the latter is questionable.

As noted, I don't think it really matters as I am using a 910XT. Just taken a long time to notice the issue and maybe because it's the first time I've used the 910 on this particular coastal run.
o__ o__
.>/-.>/
( )\---\( )
philipshambrook
Donated!
Donated!

Postby old_man_biking » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:10 am

Hhm, even if your area is covered by a DEM, the DEM data can be faulty.
STRM data for example have lots of gaps and improper data. I've added another DEM to my latest W&C plugin version with post-processed and corrected SRTM data, but these are far from perfect as well. So there's always a risk of having undulated terrain due to the DEM where there in fact is a lake or the sea, i.e. a flat.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Elevation Correction