Downloads: 64,344 (30) • Reviews: 11

Version:

Updated:

Nov 29, 2017

Suggestion: "Normalize" elevation to start/end

Suggestion: "Normalize" elevation to start/end

Postby Freppa » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:18 am

Hi!

I have a suggestion that I think could be appropriate for the elevation plugin: the ability to correct the elevation data to match the start and end points.

I use a heart rate monitor which barometrically measures the elevation. Most workouts start and end at the same point, e.g. at home. But more often than not, the elevation is not the same at the start and the end of the workout. For these workouts, it would be nice to have the ability to set either the start elevation or the end elevation as fixed, and linearly adjust all other elevations in order to have the start and end equal.

I realize that the barometric pressure probably not have changed linearly throughout the workout, but this would be pretty easy to implement. Further enhancements could include the ability to pin point a part of the workout to apply the offset on.
Freppa

Re: Suggestion: "Normalize" elevation to start/end

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:30 am

The waypoints and courses plugin provides elevation correction too.
While the current version does not exactly what you suggest, it already provides a compensation for barometric drifts.

Next plugin version will provide:
1. setting start elevation to elevation of a well-known waypoint nearby
2. fixing drifts by setting end-elevation = start-elevation when the workout is a roundtrip

Cheers,
OMB
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Freppa » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:46 am

That I did not know, but if I understand correctly the 2.-update should do what I described? But is it possible to use waypoints and courses plugin to adjust elevations this way for workouts already imported to Sporttracks? Or is the functionality intended for use when creating courses/routes?

Keep up the good work all! :-)

(Off-topic: is the mentioned update to waypoints and courses also fixing the problem with auto-routing to create courses? viewtopic.php?f=85&t=12096)
Freppa

Postby old_man_biking » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:09 am

Freppa wrote:That I did not know, but if I understand correctly the 2.-update should do what I described? But is it possible to use waypoints and courses plugin to adjust elevations this way for workouts already imported to Sporttracks? Or is the functionality intended for use when creating courses/routes?

Keep up the good work all! :-)

(Off-topic: is the mentioned update to waypoints and courses also fixing the problem with auto-routing to create courses? http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttr ... 85&t=12096)

The answers are: yes, yes and yes.
Even the current version's fix for barometric drift should substantially reduce the start -> end elevation differences for round trips.
old_man_biking
Donated!
Donated!

Postby Freppa » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:18 am

This is excellent! :-)
Freppa

Return to Elevation Correction