by pkan

Downloads: 64,344 (30) • Reviews: 11

Version:

Updated:

Nov 29, 2017

How does this plugin work with Garmin 910XT

How does this plugin work with Garmin 910XT

Postby ZeroZed » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:57 am

Since the 910 has a built-in barometric altimeter, would I be better off not using this plugin? I've posted a separate question in another forum regarding how ST pulls in the elevation data--I'm unclear if ST would use the 910xt's data natively or if it calculates elevation on it's own somehow.

Can somebody shed some light on the subject? I've used this plugin for a long time with my other Garmin devices (been very pleased with it BTW); I'm just confused if I need to use it with the 910. Thanks.
ZeroZed
Donated!
Donated!

Re: How does this plugin work with Garmin 910XT

Postby texmurphy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:22 pm

ST will use the elevation information from the 910xt. It will be your choice to override that information with the Elevation Correction information. To check the result of Elevation Correction, use the EC Details screen to compare EC with Barometric device data.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dbrillha » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:31 pm

This is strange. I loaded a workout based on the 910xt device, with barometric data.

I clicked on "EDIT->Elevation->Add/Fix" and it was smart enough to see that my data was barometric based. It asked me if I wanted to COMPENSATE THE DRIFT of the data, rather than replace with SRTM data. GREAT, I said "yes". It did what I asked.

I then removed the workout and reloaded the raw data from the FIT file.

But this time, and every time I retry this workout, when I go back to "Add/Fix" it no longer senses that this data is barometric based, and simply replaces the elevation data with SRTM data.

I'm curious how it knows the workout has barometric data, and maybe what I can do to make sure SportTracks know that, so it does the right thing.

Thanks!!
dbrillha

Postby dirk66 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:08 pm

I don't have a garmin device with baromatic based data, so i can't answer your question directly. But if you look at the settings of the plugin, you can see a some checkboxes. Probably some of them are checked. My guess is, if you uncheck them all, you have the original situation. There is a exclusion option also.

So not completely sure, but if you want to edit the height automaticaly at importtime, you have to check the first checkbox. And if you want to exlcude activities which are recorded by your 910, you probably have to type the exact devicename of your 910 in the textfield which appears after you check the second checkbox.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dirk
dirk66
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dbrillha » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi Dirk. Thanks for the reply.

But that didn't happen to help my issue. I do exclude "910" from processing. And when I first load in my workout, the correct barometric elevation profile is shown.

However, over several hours of a long workout, as atmospheric pressure drifts, the "apparent" elevation also drifts. I start a 70 feet, and 4 hours later come back home, and the elevation might say 140 feet, simply because the pressure changes a little bit.

So, what is supposed to happen, is that I should be able to click on "EDIT => ELEVATION => ADD/FIX", and SportTracks detects that I'm using barometric data, and offers to COMPENSATE the DRIFT, rather than wipe it out and replace with SRTM data.

But, that auto-detection of barometric data is unreliable. I'm wondering how SportTracks detects this, so I can make that more reliable.
dbrillha

Return to Elevation Correction