by pkan

Downloads: 64,344 (30) • Reviews: 11

Version:

Updated:

Nov 29, 2017

SRTM Alaska coverage

SRTM Alaska coverage

Postby SummitAK » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:11 pm

The elevation correction plugin doesn't present an edit option for my activities in Alaska. It does work for other locations in the US where I have travelled. Is it necessary to download custom maps such as NED to use elevation correction in Alaska?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
SummitAK
Donated!
Donated!

Re: SRTM Alaska coverage

Postby pkan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:57 pm

The SRTM data covers 56° S to 60° N, and most of Alaska is further north than that. See http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/Documentation/Continent_def.gif for an SRTM coverage map. So you'll probably have to use custom DEM data such as NED.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Postby SummitAK » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks Pkan. I am in Anchorage right at the boundary of the coverage map you linked. Some of this area appears to be covered. I'll check some of my older tracks south of Anchorage and see if they work with SRTM.

I'll try the custom map effort again. My first attempt at downloading NED data for AK wasn't very successful :(
SummitAK
Donated!
Donated!

Postby pkan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:01 pm

You can check the exact extent of the SRTM coverage from within ST by switching from Explore to Elevation pointer mode in the map display and then clicking on the map. As long as you're within the SRTM coverage you'll see either the SRTM elevation for the selected point or "Elevation data not downloaded". Outside the SRTM coverage you'll see "Outside DEM coverage" unless you've installed a custom DEM that provides coverage.
pkan
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Elevation Correction