Course Score

by dmcaf

Downloads: 2,780 (11) • Reviews: 2

Version:

Updated:

Aug 11, 2013

Course Score Plugin

Postby mechgt » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:50 am

For the tweakers, here's a shot of the settings I've been using with a short explaination. These are just my own preferences.

The blue arrow will filter out tiny bumps in the road. Bigger number is of course a bigger 'filter' and will return fewer results.

Yellow arrow values attempt to not break up large hills with dips in the middle. It helps keep hills together. These values should stay between 0 and 1.

These settings will tend to find fewer, but larger hills so you can focus on a few good hills on your route.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Many thanks, these settings work well for me too - perhaps good default settings for cycling.

However, I still get the hills marked incorrectly on my route map - not too much of a problem, and maybe nobody else has seen this so I'll try to find out why it is happening by a bit more experimentation with this great new plugin.

Regards, Alan.
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mazoaguirre » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:05 pm

i am able to take over spanish
FR 310 and Foot Pod, Edge 500 and Cadence Sensor, GoPro HD 960
mazoaguirre.com
mazoaguirre
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby racerfern » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:29 pm

I tried the settings and that eliminated some small sections. However, I have a climb that is 15 miles long that keeps getting broken into sections. I can eliminate sections by filtering but I want those smaller sections to get swallowed up into the sections on either side, essentially creating one climb from the start point to the top. FYI, this climb has a stretch of just over 10 miles of constant climbing and average grade of 5.2%.

I think the problem is that if you look at the grade graph, you see little dips below zero which could be GPS related or in the case of the iBike just the jostling side to side as you work your way up the hill. If there is some behind the scenes filtering of the data it might need to be increased. If there isn't behind the scenes filtering may it needs some.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:02 am

Hi Fernando,

If just joggling around on the hills causes these spikes, do you think it could be your ST3 data smoothing setting for elevation which needs adjusting. Today I did 3 circuits including a fairly easy big ring climb of 200m in 10km which has a couple of very short downhill sections (just 50-100m or so) and a couple of flatter sections (each maybe 400m or so), and Mechgt's settings nicely saw this (each time) as one long climb with no partitions. However, when I changed my ST3 smoothing to 10 instead of 50, I got the climb broken up into 2 or 3 separate hills.

Regards, Alan.
Last edited by alanwestwood on Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:48 am

Well, here is my problem, and I have been unable to find out why its happening:

As you can see, I hope, the highlighted hill is in the correct place in both the table and chart, but is several miles out on the map. The problem this gives is that when I try to right-click the table and find this hill in other rides, I get nothing at all (not even the current activity). If I use a hill in the table nearer to the start of the ride, where the distance error is less (it increases through the activity), the 'find hill' does work ok.

The only thing I've found out is that this only happens for my activities after 30/08/2010. Also, if I delete and re-import the activity for 29/08/2010 (or other early ones - I still have the original gpx files), then this displacement on the map is then present, even though it was ok before the re-import. All activities since and including 30/08/2010 have similar displacements. I'm running a fully activated version, if that makes any difference?

Would be grateful for advice as to what to look at next to try to see why this is happening.

Many thanks, Alan.
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:00 pm

That looks like a bug to me, Alan. It'll get looked into, I've got a wild guess as to what it might be. Also, I tend to think that ST smoothing shouldn't have anything to do with locating hills... will check into this also.

Screenshots like this (as always) are extremely helpful. Thanks for the clear report. If you get a moment email me a .fitlog of the activity in your screenshot if you don't mind (see email link below).
Last edited by mechgt on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:17 pm

alanwestwood wrote:...As you can see, I hope, the highlighted hill is in the correct place in both the table and chart, but is several miles out on the map....

Might be the same problem. An example hill below is in a different place on the Elevation screen map then on the Course Score map, even though in the same place on the elevation profile chart. Maybe a stopped time mismatch not being handled?

This may be the cause of the problem in the screen shots below. I had defined a "Course Score" custom field and then computed the course score for rides identical to today's ride. The score varies widely (1.78 <> 12.89 (today) <> 32.99). Screen shots show three examples. I think the course score should be consistent of the same ride.

texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dmcaf » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:19 pm

I tried the settings and that eliminated some small sections. However, I have a climb that is 15 miles long that keeps getting broken into sections. I can eliminate sections by filtering but I want those smaller sections to get swallowed up into the sections on either side, essentially creating one climb from the start point to the top. FYI, this climb has a stretch of just over 10 miles of constant climbing and average grade of 5.2%.

I think the problem is that if you look at the grade graph, you see little dips below zero which could be GPS related or in the case of the iBike just the jostling side to side as you work your way up the hill. If there is some behind the scenes filtering of the data it might need to be increased. If there isn't behind the scenes filtering may it needs some.

Hills are found using the same default smoothing that you have setup in ST. It doesn't look at the grade track, but instead does math on the smoothed elevation track. Little blips should be ignored in this case. Can you possibly send a screenshot of the hill in question? Maybe I can eyeball something that stands out.

:idea: On a side note, the actual Course Score is calculated from a track I smooth myself. That way, if you and I do the same course, it should come out with the same score every time.
dmcaf
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dmcaf » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:22 pm

This may be the cause of the problem in the screen shots below. I had defined a "Course Score" custom field and then computed the course score for rides identical to today's ride. The score varies widely (1.78 <> 12.89 (today) <> 32.99). Screen shots show three examples. I think the course score should be consistent of the same ride.

Could you send me those fitlogs? I can't seem to recreate a variance of scoring in my logbook.
dmcaf
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:49 pm

@Alanwestwood
Smoothing was the issue. I keep smoothing off normally because I just bring in the iBike number via the iBike importer and I switch to manual calcs. I set mine to 15 for now.

Next issue, I have four identical climbs on four different days. These climbs range in time from 32 to 37 minutes. The Score is 22.3, 22.85, 23.04 and 45.9! Yet all the other comparison numbers are extremely close and in line.
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby racerfern » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:53 pm

I selected the section in the previous posting and right clicked. Then I clicked on find similar hills since there is no GPS data. It found the four correct activities perfectly. Quite impressive.

Now I have a chart with four activites and all the metrics. To the left there are colors yet there is no graph below. So I click on the graph below but got back to the original layout. I also eventually got the following error.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at CourseScore.UI.MapLayers.HillsPointsLayer.DrawRoute(IActivity activity)
at CourseScore.UI.DetailPage.HillsDetailControl.RefreshPage(Boolean autozoom)
at CourseScore.UI.DetailPage.HillsDetailControl.set_Activities(IEnumerable`1 value)
at CourseScore.UI.DetailPage.HillsDetail.SetActivities(IEnumerable`1 activities)
at CourseScore.UI.DetailPage.HillsDetail.OnViewSelectedItemsChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.SelectionProviderProxy.OnProviderSelectionItemsChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Plugin.Activities.Views.DailyActivityView.MainWindow.OnActivitiesListSelectedItemsChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.TreeList.FireSelectedChanged()
at ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.TreeList.set_Selected(IList value)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.Common.Visuals.TreeList.set_SelectedItems(IList value)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Plugin.Activities.Controls.ActivityList.SelectRow(DateTime selectedDate)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Plugin.Activities.Controls.ActivityList.DoRefreshRowData()
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Plugin.Activities.Views.DailyActivityView.DailyActivityList.DoRefreshRowData()
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Plugin.Activities.Views.DailyActivityView.DailyActivityList.SetDateRange(DateTime start, DateTime end)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Plugin.Activities.Views.DailyActivityView.MainWindow.SetViewDates(DateTime date, IActivity activity)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Plugin.Activities.Views.DailyActivityView.MainWindow.SetSelectedActivity(IActivity activity)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Plugin.Activities.Views.DailyActivityView.MainWindow.ShowPage(String bookmark)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Views.MainViewBase.ShowPage(String bookmark)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.ViewNavigationManager.ShowCurrentView()
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.ViewNavigationManager.GoTo(IView view, String bookmark)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Controls.ViewNavigator.GoTo(IView view, String bookmark)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.UI.Forms.Application.MainWindow.GoToView(IView view, String bookmark)
at ZoneFiveSoftware.SportTracks.Application.ShowView(Guid viewId, String bookmark)
at CourseScore.UI.DetailPage.HillsDetailControl.treeList_DoubleClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnDoubleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Fernando
racerfern
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:28 am

dmcaf wrote: Hills are found using the same default smoothing that you have setup in ST.

Maybe the settings window should at least show the current elevation smoothing setting for ST3, so that the user knows this has an impact on the hill analysis - even better if it could also be adjusted from the plugin. Its probably better for the plugin not to have its own smoothing setting, because this would give inconsistencies between the ST3 elevation chart and the plugin chart (at the moment they are identical, as they should be).

Regards, Alan.
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dmcaf » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:56 am

racerfern wrote:I selected the section in the previous posting and right clicked. Then I clicked on find similar hills since there is no GPS data. It found the four correct activities perfectly. Quite impressive.

Now I have a chart with four activites and all the metrics. To the left there are colors yet there is no graph below

The default chart settings for that view are blank. I think they should default to at least show you something. If you click the 'more charts' button in the toolbar and add 'Speed', it will make more sense. All hills will chart in a very light color so you can see trends. If you ctrl+click hills in the tree list, you can highlight the hills below. If you select one, you will get default ST colors. If you select more than one, the colors will match the hill id.

racerfern wrote:So I click on the graph below but got back to the original layout. I also eventually got the following error.

I believe that error should be fixed in my code now. I hope to release v1.1 as soon as I can figure out the mapping issue that others have noticed.
dmcaf
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:35 pm

How does the plugin handle flat ground? I have a hill that is split in two because it's seperated by a 430m flat portion. However I setup the plugin I cannot get a single climb out of these two.

Here is the detailed info :

1st section
Distance = 0.63km
Elevation change = 25m

flat section
Distance = 430 m
Elevation change = -1m

2nd section
Distance = 1.81km
Elevatino change = 96m

Settings
Hill elevation req = 10m
Hill distance req = 200m
Max descent length = 0.5km
Max descent elevation change = 25m
Min avg grade = 0.01
Elevation % = 0.15
Distance % = 0.25

As far as I can see, the only reason it's excluded is because it's flat, not downhill. Any clue?

Also, when adding HR, cadence or power data track in the chart, it stops at excactly 5km...

The grade track is fairly off too. I have some climbs that are completely in the negative grade on the chart. This happens only when it's distance based, time works fine.

How do you get the overlay of all found same or similar hills?

Edit : The data tracks can appear completely but it seems it's only in "Overall" view and they're still offset and "compressed" and then again, only on certain activites...
Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:54 pm

dmcaf wrote:

Could you send me those fitlogs? I can't seem to recreate a variance of scoring in my logbook.

You have mail.

It would be nice if in Reports View of a single Activity Detail, Course Score would work.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:59 pm

Not sure whether this will help or hinder, but I've discovered another curiosity with regard to the mapping problem. If I export an activity with the displacement as a fitlog file, remove it from ST3, then re-import it, the error has disappeared and the hills are shown correctly on the map.

If I do this same exercise exporting from ST3 as a gpx then deleting the activity and reimporting the same file, the error persists and the hills are still displaced.

Let me know if you would like any more information or data, such as my original (Nokia) gpx, imported and exported fitlogs and gpxs for the same activity (or even part of my log file).

Regards, Alan.
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dmcaf » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:19 pm

alanwestwood - You should have a PM.
dmcaf
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks, David - looks like you've cracked it - smart work :) .
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby clackerz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:01 pm

mechgt wrote:For the tweakers, here's a shot of the settings I've been using with a short explaination. These are just my own preferences.

The blue arrow will filter out tiny bumps in the road. Bigger number is of course a bigger 'filter' and will return fewer results.

Yellow arrow values attempt to not break up large hills with dips in the middle. It helps keep hills together. These values should stay between 0 and 1.

These settings will tend to find fewer, but larger hills so you can focus on a few good hills on your route.

Updating to these settings works a treat for me. Although it helps that you read the data and you find out there needs to be an imperial>metric conversion before just copying the info! :oops:
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby clackerz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned in previous posts here, but it would be nice to select / highlight the hill on the graph and have it highlighted on the map.

Also to be able to expand/maximize the graph.
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

Postby alanwestwood » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:01 am

Clackerz, I think you can do those things already. In the detail view you can click once on a hill in the table to highlight it on both chart and map, and if you double-click the chart expands to show just that hill. Is that what you mean?

Regards, Alan.
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby PissedOffCil » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:34 am

clackerz wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned in previous posts here, but it would be nice to select / highlight the hill on the graph and have it highlighted on the map.

I proposed this in an e-mail directly to mechgt.

Any help to get my hill in 1 part??
Developer of the Garmin Fitness, Filtered Statistics and Distribution plugins
PissedOffCil
Donated!
Donated!

Postby alanwestwood » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:47 am

Sorry - I see what you mean, click on the graph not the table - at the moment you have to select the hill in the table by looking at its approximate distance or time from the chart. Yes, clicking the graph and having the hill highlighted in the table and map would be very handy.

Regards, Alan.
alanwestwood
Donated!
Donated!

Postby clackerz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:17 pm

PissedOffCil wrote:
clackerz wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned in previous posts here, but it would be nice to select / highlight the hill on the graph and have it highlighted on the map.

I proposed this in an e-mail directly to mechgt.

Any help to get my hill in 1 part??

Cool - thanks.

As for your split hill - have you tried to change your elevation smoothing and/or zone set up?
clackerz
Contributor!
Contributor!

PreviousNext

Return to Course Score