by dmcaf

Downloads: 2,780 (11) • Reviews: 2

Version:

Updated:

Aug 11, 2013

Value of Course score

Value of Course score

Postby twixraider » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:15 am

When i first used the pugin, i was very impressed. But now weeks later, I am deflated, because the only influence to the total course score seems to be the distance and not the elevations. It does not matter how many hills are in a 10km run, i allways get the same total course score, even when it was totaly flat. Also when i increase the distance it increases the toltal course score linearly. So what is it all about? Ok it can show me the elevation change and the average grade, but i wish it could really show the score how challenging a course is.
twixraider

Re: Value of Course score

Postby dbrillha » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:37 am

I was about to buy this plug-in. But I'm concerned with your feedback. And I don't see any reply, so I suspect your concerns are legit. Bummer.
dbrillha

Postby texmurphy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:20 pm

twixraider wrote:When i first used the pugin, i was very impressed. But now weeks later, I am deflated, because the only influence to the total course score seems to be the distance and not the elevations. It does not matter how many hills are in a 10km run, i allways get the same total course score, even when it was totaly flat. Also when i increase the distance it increases the toltal course score linearly. So what is it all about? Ok it can show me the elevation change and the average grade, but i wish it could really show the score how challenging a course is.

Plugin author to texmurphy wrote:I have hidden a control for troubleshooting that you can use to double check values. If you double click the box outline for the Course Score value (highlighted below) it will pop open a grade/distance/score table. Using that, you can see if there are any crazy values that may be adding to your course score. This control only shows the cycling CS breakdown.

You can use the above control to check changes in hill values for Cycling (not running). Note that if you do not define hills correctly, then you will not find hills (or too many hills). To define hills use the "Hill Finder Settings" control (gear) on the elevation chart. Hills will be different most likely for runners vs cyclists. But I think you can only have a single definition at a time (not per category).
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby mechgt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:09 pm

twixraider wrote:... i wish it could really show the score how challenging a course is.

This is certainly the intent of the plugin. Apply a simple score to a given course for comparison to others, and to identify the difficult regions (hills) to compare between courses. One thing you might take a look at is the variety of scores available... there are several different scoring algorithms in this plugin. Maybe one of the others will give you better results?

2013-08-28_2007.png
2013-08-28_2007.png (53.05 KiB) Viewed 7219 times
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dbrillha » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:22 am

This is a VERY interesting topic. I was just researching Dr. Stephan McGregor's work on rTSS. Or, an equiv for running that produces a Training Stress Score.

The key to his system is something he calls the NGP, or Normalized Graded Pace. This is, essentially, a "course score" that grades a hilly running route. For example, if you ran a 10 mile flat course at an average pace of 9:30... You might run a 10 mile hilly route that starts and ends at the same elevation (net gain = 0), but the total climb was 1000 feet.

I actually don't like the results of his formula, but the concept is sound. I used your Course Score plugin to evaluate many of my hills looking at avg pace and avg HR, for long climbs and descents. To create my own calibrated score.

What I found is that for climbs. NGP = AP/(1+6*Grade)
For descents. NGP = AP/(1+2.5*Grade)

For example, running up a 3% grade (0.03) at a 9:45 pace, gives me an NGP of 8:16.
Running down a 6% grade at a 7:30 pace is equiv to a "flat" pace of NGP = 8:49

You get more "credit" for uphills than benefit for downhills.

This could be used to generate a running course score for a hilly run. The factors of 6 and 2.5 could be customized in the settings for each person.
dbrillha

Postby mechgt » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:25 pm

The PowerRunner plugin uses similar concepts to what you're describing in its power calculations. It uses grade & speed to calculate a power track, which could be used to compare a flat course and a hilly course on an apples to apples kind of basis. For example, even though the avg pace is different between a flat and hilly course, the avg power very well could be similar.
Enhance SportTracks with Training Load, Fit Plan and more plugins at mechgt.com. Garmin FR310XT & iBike iPro
mechgt
Donated!
Donated!

Return to Course Score