by dmcaf

Downloads: 2,780 (11) • Reviews: 2

Version:

Updated:

Aug 11, 2013

How is course score calculated?

How is course score calculated?

Postby easterbird » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:11 pm

What factors are used in the calculation? I rode a route today that usually yields about 1.0 for a certain hill. Today that number is 1.94??
easterbird
easterbird
Donated!
Donated!

Re: How is course score calculated?

Postby easterbird » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:38 am

Since I have noted 15 views and no input from the usual suspects about my issue, I wondered why. By going back and reading all the emails from the Sept to Oct 2010 timeframe, I have learned a bit more about this plugin. I suggest to the administartion of ST that some of the information could be extracted and put into FAQ to help those of us not 'plugged in' to all the pm etc about the issues and settings. I really like this plugin but still am surprised why the same settings for the plug in and the elevation smoothing can yield what appear to me to be different results. What is an acceptable/expected variation for same hill on multiple rides?
Thanks
easterbird
easterbird
Donated!
Donated!

Postby texmurphy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:49 pm

easterbird wrote:... By going back and reading all the emails from the Sept to Oct 2010 timeframe, I have learned a bit more about this plugin...

I see you have asked this question before and been answered.
However you can check the cycling course score values
by a hidden control for troubleshooting that you can use to double check values. If you double click the box outline for the Course Score value on the Course Score: Overall section it will pop open a grade/distance/score table. Using that, you can see if there are any crazy values that may be adding to your course score. This control only shows the cycling CS breakdown

Depending on your device, there may be grade elevation jumps. This is especially noted with the Garmin 3.0 firmware release for the Edge 500 which has lots of sudden stepwise jumps in recorded elevation. I reverted from v3.0 to v2.8 after two days because of this problem. See https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=28065

dmcaf also notes
When you get started after a stop/pause, the elevation can jump. A small jump (3ft) over a very small time (.2sec) produces a giant grade spike. Then, when you go to smooth that, it produces a smoother version of the spike. When in fact, the spike never really happened.
texmurphy
Donated!
Donated!

Postby easterbird » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks for your forbearance texmurphy,dmcaf and friends of CS. I see that my new Garmin 800 does indeed have steps in the elevation change. It is nowwhere near as smooth a trace at the dead Garmin 305;however, I guess I am stuck with the 800 for now. I am looking into the issues associated with the device as suggested.

I see that the hill settings etc are significant. Is it usual to reset these for every import? Today I noted that these settings had reverted to default from what I used recently(50',0.2,0.2,50.0.01,0.33,.0.33 per what I found in olded discussions of this topic.)

Now please grit you teeth because I have another question on troubleshooting CS values. In ST, today's ride was 38.39 miles with a CS of 42.16 yields a CS/mile of 1.1. I get that. Now in the detail view, when I add up all the individual CS for each hill, that number is 9.02 for the 6 hills identified. How do I get from my simple total of 9.02(adding each individual hill) to CS 42.16 for the ride?
DMCAF wrote in explanation to me awhile back the following:
All the course scores are based off power curves.

The calculations for cycling are pretty simple. I break the course up into grade pairs like (distance, grade). So if you ride a course that has a max of 2% grade, you'll have 3 pairs. (x, 0) (y, 1) (z, 2) where x, y, and z are your distances for those grades. I dump any grade that's less than 0 for cycling. Descents require 0 power to travel.

Then, to get your score, here's the math in pseudo-code:
for each grade/distance pair
score += (pair.meters / 1000) * ((.35 * pair.grade) + .1)

So, does that mean there really more hills with the same grade and some other distance(that don't show in the detailed list) being added into the total to yield the CS of 42.16?
Thanks for you forebearance
I think I attached the file
Carol
Attachments
715.zip
(96.51 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
easterbird
easterbird
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dmcaf » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:12 pm

I have a good idea what's happening.

Just because the hill finder algorithm didn't find some of the smaller hills doesn't mean they don't exist. It's probably those small 'bumps' that add up your course score over time.

I'll take a look at your fitlog when I get a chance and double check my theory.
dmcaf
Donated!
Donated!

Postby easterbird » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Great, dmcaf
thanks, if I need to change some settings I'd love to know what else I need to do!
C
easterbird
easterbird
Donated!
Donated!

Postby dave a walker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:58 am

Ok so I am a walker, I have a 310XT.
My course score on running varies between 1.95 and 2.08 , this going from a flat easy route to a really tough climb.
on cylcing setting these vary between .51 and about .63
I really would like a bigger variance between the two!
Any ideas
dave a walker

Return to Course Score